Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Disturbing quests

• 12 posts
    December 17, 2015 9:20 PM PST

The most memorable quest I've experienced in any mmo was in Vanguard.  I literally felt sick to my stomach completing it but although very disturbing, it did leave an impact on me to this day.  I almost dropped the quest but for some reason, I wanted to complete it and I felt horrible for it.

It involved me having to murder some people.  Chopping up their body parts and grinding them into animal feed.  I remember doing it at night and it was the creepiest thing I've done in any game.  Although it was a very disturbing quest, it left a profound memory and was very different than anything else I've experienced. 

So is there any plans for these types of quests in Pantheon or atleast a few "special" ones that are very different than the norm? 

Thank you,

The Bay Harbor Butcher

• 724 posts
    December 17, 2015 10:59 PM PST

draconin said:Thank you,

The Bay Harbor Butcher

Hello, Dexter Morgan...

lol, sorry :) I haven't done that particular quest. For me it was another moment that stood out, in Tera I think. I came across an NPC who said something like "I've heard you're a very efficient killer". In that moment I asked myself "What am I doing here?" ...

This also brings up some very early memories of playing UO, when I felt bad about killing stuff. That feeling quickly disappeared...maybe its good to have some gruesome quest or event happening to remind us of what it is that our characters are doing really.

• 781 posts
    December 17, 2015 11:17 PM PST

Yes i remember Bay Harbor Butcher ! :)

• 9115 posts
    December 18, 2015 1:16 AM PST

draconin said:

The most memorable quest I've experienced in any mmo was in Vanguard.  I literally felt sick to my stomach completing it but although very disturbing, it did leave an impact on me to this day.  I almost dropped the quest but for some reason, I wanted to complete it and I felt horrible for it.

It involved me having to murder some people.  Chopping up their body parts and grinding them into animal feed.  I remember doing it at night and it was the creepiest thing I've done in any game.  Although it was a very disturbing quest, it left a profound memory and was very different than anything else I've experienced. 

So is there any plans for these types of quests in Pantheon or atleast a few "special" ones that are very different than the norm? 

Thank you,

The Bay Harbor Butcher

Hahaha! That quest was indeed disgusting, although Necro's loved it lol. The United Races of Thestra (URT) quest part in Silverlake at the windmill or grain mill thing was pretty funny, chopping them up after mezzing them and leading them to the mill then grinding their body parts, yuck! :)

• 668 posts
    December 18, 2015 6:55 AM PST

I felt bad killing my first cute little monkey in ESO, just to get bananas!!  If they did not make the damn thing so cute with its horrible dying scream...  :(

• 753 posts
    December 18, 2015 11:00 AM PST

I always found the WoW "poop quests" a little disturbing...  sling poop, pick through it, I think in one quest inadvertantly eat it...

Someone at Blizzard either has an alarming attraction to poop, a warped sense of humor, or is making some form of a statement about the players of WoW being poop slingers and eaters  :)  

• 122 posts
    December 18, 2015 11:39 AM PST

I like these! A non-MMO example of how cool the "disturbing" quest lines can be is how you got invited to the dark brotherhood in Oblivion. If you never played the game (or never learned of this questline), it was a "hidden" questline that you could play the whole game through without ever finding. Basically, you needed to kill an NPC that was not hostile (so literally a murder). After the first time you did that, you got a little message in the upper corner that said "your actions were witnessed by forces unseen." You could then go about your business and totally forget about it, because nothing would come of it... until you went to sleep.

The first time you go to sleep after that message, you're awakened in the middle of the night by a man in a dark robe, and he's all "I know what you did." There's a bunch of creepy dialogue, and he asks you to go murder someone. Then he casts a spell and vanishes into thin air, leaving you with with a grim task. That was a REALLY cool entrance to what unfolded as a very disturbing quest line. The Skyrim DB questline was a massive disapointment in comparison.

I'd love to see some of that magic worked into this game. I agree that VG had some real "holy **** why am I doing this" quests in it, so I hope that this game has similar quests. Also, I'd LOVE it if this game had "hidden" quest lines in it, like the one I just described above, especially if they're assassin or macbre quests!

• 2138 posts
    December 18, 2015 6:57 PM PST

Yes I like quests where you have to make a grey moral decision. That is one of the things I liked about Fallout 3 as that seemed to have a majority of possible responses the outcome of which could go either way, or had to be the better of two normally bad choices. I kind of liked how the Dark brotherhood started in skyrim, I mean you had t act, you could not leave.

I may be squeamish, but I thought the idea of returning a bloodied doll to the father of the girl who went playing in the qeynos sewers, to singify her death was sinister. and the whole look of Najena, I mean it was great! but creaped me out. The pupil-irising, Mentos-Ad feel of Sanctus Seru, like some valium induced placidness  found in "blue velvet" or "Twin Peaks". I need to tsk a little time to compose myself after doing things like that- like in crafting or in "normal" cities. ( heh)

• 12 posts
    December 19, 2015 12:29 AM PST

Some pretty crazy stuff for sure! 

I think most mmos have pretty much just copied the same quest ideas.  I've seen and done so many of the same that it hasn't been a fun and interesting experience lately.  Covering the grind up with these generic quest types:

Kill x amount

"My wife went up to the hills to pick flowers and never came back.  Please find her"

A) Kill him or B) Let him go, possibly compromising your cause or rep with someone.

Fetch quests running miles back and forth.

As weird and crazy as some of these quest lines are, they are memorable and much more enjoyable.  Some of the ones discussed here like the DB ones make you really feel something and even question the kind of person you are for enjoying them.  I'd much rather just straight up grind mobs for resources, experience and rare drops than do those terrible generic quests because I'm so sick of them unsuccessfully hiding that grind.  Its like a grind on top of a grind lol. 

I don't need my leveling eased by a string of quest hubs of the generic type.  Prefer somewhat of a mob/crafting grind but with some awesome, innovative quest chains with great storytelling.  Make it difficult but yielding a huge chunk of xp when completed.  Throw in some awesome dungeons and group content along the way and I'm in heaven!

• 15 posts
    December 19, 2015 5:32 AM PST

I've never really experienced any type of these quests in any MMO's I've played recently. I suppose that's simply because most MMO's cause me to simply fast click 'Accept' and read the objectives, then hand in. 

Hopefully Pantheon will change my approach to questing. 

• 1618 posts
    December 26, 2016 6:27 PM PST

I loved the Estate of Unrest in EQ2. If you listened to the whole story, it's disturbing. Everyone is picking on this poor lady for having a miscarriage and everyone is acting like she intentionally destroyed their lives. 

Harsh.

• 97 posts
    January 3, 2017 7:18 PM PST

Most quests in the URT questline were pretty awesome.  I did that questline on most of my toons while leveling them.  URT had good intentions, but everything completely backfired and you ended up killing more people and saving almost nobody. 

• 3016 posts
    January 3, 2017 8:44 PM PST

Pyye said:

I felt bad killing my first cute little monkey in ESO, just to get bananas!!  If they did not make the damn thing so cute with its horrible dying scream...  :(

I'm a wimp I can't kill bunnies or cats.  lol 

• 19 posts
    January 4, 2017 7:23 AM PST

Kilsin said:

draconin said:

Thank you,

The Bay Harbor Butcher

Hahaha! That quest was indeed disgusting, although Necro's loved it lol. The United Races of Thestra (URT) quest part in Silverlake at the windmill or grain mill thing was pretty funny, chopping them up after mezzing them and leading them to the mill then grinding their body parts, yuck! :)

If I remeber correctly, the URT questline was all around hilarious. IIRC they were constantly trying to do good or fix things and would just totally bungle the execution leading to some pretty grisly and/or hilarious results. Definitely a standout questline for me in VG with the luring farmers/meat grinding being the part that really sticks in my head. 

• 2886 posts
    January 4, 2017 8:23 AM PST

I think it's healthy to be disturbed every once in a while. To be confronted with harsh realities and make you question what you would do in certain situations and make difficult choices. Skyrim is another game that did this very well. Of course you shouldn't feel forced to do something that you don't want to do just to get a particular piece of gear you want. But you should be presented with the choice. Or at least see some things that you'd probably rather not see. Scenarios that involve critically diseased orphans, double amputees, graphic demon-possessed children, hopeless "drug" addicts (whatever Terminus' version of drugs are - they exist in every world), abusive spouses, rape, abortion, etc. are very interesting, to say the least. It makes most people quite uncomfortable and really get you thinking about a lot of deep things and that's when people learn best.

Of course the main purpose of the game is to have fun and some people may not find this sort of thing fun at all. But I think it's still pretty important to get a raw, uncensored reality check every once in a while.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 4, 2017 8:57 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    January 4, 2017 3:51 PM PST

TheRevenant said:

Kilsin said:

draconin said:

Thank you,

The Bay Harbor Butcher

If I remeber correctly, the URT questline was all around hilarious. IIRC they were constantly trying to do good or fix things and would just totally bungle the execution leading to some pretty grisly and/or hilarious results. Definitely a standout questline for me in VG with the luring farmers/meat grinding being the part that really sticks in my head. 

Haha yeah pretty much, some of it was against the lore though, so a lot of people avoided those quests but I ran through them on every character, they were pretty funny and fairly well done ;)

• 470 posts
    January 4, 2017 4:19 PM PST

Kilsin said:

I'm going to be honest. One that gave me a good laugh in Vanguard was that secret cave you had to follow this random cultist to in, I "think" Rindoll Field. The cultist clumsily utters (forgetfully I might add) a password in text you had to type /say and use it to get in. That password if I remember correctly was otkin adarab utaalk, which for all of you less of a nerd than me is klaatu barada nikto backwards. What I took to be a nod to the Evil Dead series, but more specifically, Army of Darkness, the third movie in the Ash Williams trilogy. I may be misremembering a few details but I do remember it giving me a good laugh.

Maybe he didn't get every little syllable but basically he said em, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgvXtexdgAM

This post was edited by Kratuk at January 4, 2017 4:21 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    January 4, 2017 4:26 PM PST

Kratuk said:

Kilsin said:

I'm going to be honest. One that gave me a good laugh in Vanguard was that secret cave you had to follow this random cultist to in, I "think" Rindoll Field. The cultist clumsily utters (forgetfully I might add) a password in text you had to type /say and use it to get in. That password if I remember correctly was otkin adarab utaalk, which for all of you less of a nerd than me is klaatu barada nikto backwards. What I took to be a nod to the Evil Dead series, but more specifically, Army of Darkness, the third movie in the Ash Williams trilogy. I may be misremembering a few details but I do remember it giving me a good laugh.

As soon as I get caught up on Westworld, I will be switching from HBO to Starz, to watch Ash v. The Evil Dead series.

• 470 posts
    January 4, 2017 4:31 PM PST

Beefcake said:

As soon as I get caught up on Westworld, I will be switching from HBO to Starz, to watch Ash v. The Evil Dead series.

It's very true to the saga. Great show too. Probably why I thought of that part when reading this.

This post was edited by Kratuk at January 4, 2017 4:31 PM PST
    • 144 posts
    January 4, 2017 4:34 PM PST

I honestly forget the quests that led to the discovery of The Karazhan Crypt but that is some dark @#$% right there. WoW has an incredible amount of lore and a lot of it is very dark, but for me, this unreleased content and the quests that led to it unsettled me a little in a small way.

(Taken from Engadget Article, the link above)

"Immediately upon entering the crypts, you find yourself in a sparse room called the Well of the Forgotten. On your right is a simple tomb, straight ahead of you is a hallway spiraling downwards, and on the far left you will see a large, round hole in the ground. It isn't a natural formation -- this hole was built there. It is the well for which the room itself is named. You can peer down the well's stone chute, but it is both too deep and too dark to see what's at the bottom.

Like the brave explorer you are, you say to hell with the hallway -- the well looks far more interesting, and you'd really like to find out what's at the bottom, wouldn't you? So you jump, you fall, and you hit the bottom -- hard. It was a much longer fall than you might have expected. If you'd fallen just a little further, you're sure you would have broken bones -- maybe even died on impact.

You look down, and then you realize what broke your fall: corpses. Meat. Bones. Hundreds of corpses, piled in a grotesque mound at the bottom of the well. You've fallen into the Pit of Criminals. These people had been thrown down the well, and they had no such mound of bodies to save them. They fell and they died, left in an ever-growing heap. Should you be horrified at what you've found? Or should you be grateful that their deaths ultimately saved you?"

Then there are the www.blogcdn.com%2Fwow.joystiq.com%2Fmedia%2F2011%2F03%2F580upsidedownsinners.jpg">corpses on chains underwater

The WoW I was used to was mostly comedy, with some plot tragedy mixed in, but this has been in since vanilla and I think to this day it is still shrouded in mystery and it still creeps me out a little when I think of it

• 14 posts
    January 4, 2017 5:36 PM PST

One of my favorites was from Vanilla WoW: The Legend of Stalvan. A lot of the quest line was running from place to place collecting letters and journal pages but if you read them it tells a fairly disturbing tale of a private tutor and his growing obsession with the daughter of his employer. Successive pages tell if his increasing frustration and eventual descent into madness. Rather than see her married off in a political arranged marriage he instead murders everyone with an axe and it is implied that he continues to find young women and slaughters both them and their families.

WoW spent a lot of time making pop culture references, puns, and in jokes as part of their quests and achievements but you can see some of the original quest writers would have liked to have added a little more human trajedy than one more quest to collect bear asses.

• 9115 posts
    January 4, 2017 9:33 PM PST

Kratuk said:

Kilsin said:

Riftseeker's Torrent was the cave and it was an awesome quest, you were close, the phrase was /say Utaalk Atarrav Utkin and later on towards the end, we had a stage of our max level epic quests in there where we had to camp a named eyeball to speak with him and he only spawned for a few minutes every 12 hours or so lol, but I loved doing that dungeon and Khegor's End when I was on my low level characters, Tursh, Rindol field Themwars Shield were all fun areas to level up :)

• 79 posts
    January 8, 2017 1:17 PM PST

Age of Conan has some great disturbing/funny quests.

One of my favs was informing a family that one of the members of the family had been deemed a worthy sacrifice to Set. You find an engorged snake with a hand sticking out (hand is still waving).

• 170 posts
    January 14, 2017 4:12 PM PST

I honestly think it would be great that if am playing an Evil Skar that I have to do some horrible tasks as quests. Maybe some so/so stuff if I'm a neutral toon and if I'm a Good Race I do good quests like capture bandits. I mean not every single quest but it would be fun that some alignment specific quests were in the game.

• 131 posts
    January 14, 2017 5:31 PM PST

In EQ2, the Qeynos to Freeport betrayal quest line had you adopt a dog, train it, then ultimately kill it to prove that you are truely evil.  That was so hard for me =(  Poor puppy!

On the lighter side, there was a Brells day quest that involved a guy in a bar who was in love with his cow lol.  You needed to retrieve something from the bag on the ground next to him.  In order to get him to leave the bag unattended, you had to go out to the barn and tip the cow.....then he would run out to rescue her lol.  Was very well done.  I stood in the barn for some time after completing it, giggling every time a new player would come along and tip the cow lol.