Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Forced servers per region by IP

• 8 posts
    November 13, 2015 6:34 AM PST

So we need to ban poor people from the game as they are gold sellers and rich people as they are gold buyers.  cool sorted :)

There are better ways to solve gold selling, so I think we should focus on them rather than ip blocking. do entrapment laws apply to video games? even items/coin having an owners history would give you a good indication on who should be getting the ban hammer. need a service and log book for all items and coin even just having the original owner might help. A lot of how easy it is for VR to find sellers and buyers depends on their ability to track player transactions. If done correctly it should be simple to see who is buying gold and who is selling. To curve the demand big red letters logging in saying we actively hunt and ban gold sellers and buyers should put people off.

• 383 posts
    November 13, 2015 7:48 AM PST

Raidan said:

Having to purchase the game for $40.00 first in order to get the 30 day free trial would help as well.

As far as political correctness goes, it's the same as paralysis by analysis or staring at the elephant in the room.  People are failing to act, speak their minds, and make decisions due to fear of reprecussions, and, tough conversations such as these need to take place prior to the issues starting, because gold farmers are pretty much like the Zombie Apocalpyse once they've infected the game.

I agree with the quoted above. The free will be an open arms invite. However only one can hope from our side that the game stays smallish so it's not worth their time and effort.

• 288 posts
    November 13, 2015 10:52 AM PST

I actually don't think it's an open invite, it just is that way because free to play games have made it that way.

If you log in to Pantheon on free to play, can't trade with anyone, cant use general chat channels, can experience the game as far as they'd like you to experience it to get the feel for what it's about, and to persuade you to purchase it and subscribe, then gold sellers will get no benefit from the free to play aspect.

• 232 posts
    November 13, 2015 2:52 PM PST

Have they indicated there would be a free trial or free to play?  I cant find this in the FAQ anywhere.  However, from what I've read, they plan to use a subscription model.  Even if they offer 30 days of game time, that is usually tied with the box purchase.  There doesnt appear to be any plans to allow free entry into the game world from which gold spamming/advertising can be abused.

Is there something I'm missing here, or did these solution suggestions run off course?

This post was edited by Dekaden at November 13, 2015 2:53 PM PST
    • 288 posts
    November 13, 2015 7:45 PM PST

Brad was talking on the round tables about how he would like to see the first few levels be completely free, as a way for players to give the game a try before they buy.  It's a good idea, as long as restrictions are in place so these "free" accounts can't affect anything within the game.

This post was edited by Rallyd at November 13, 2015 7:45 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    November 15, 2015 8:04 PM PST

Region locks won't really help given the existence of VPNs. There are better/simpler solutions to the problem of gold farming that don't end up isolating people from eachother.

You don't need a <30ms ping to play an MMORPG anyway, unlike a game like CS:GO.

Region locking just guarantees that you make a ton of people mad while not solving the issue in the first place.

• 46 posts
    November 16, 2015 2:02 AM PST

Could gold be Bind on aquire and only traded with NPC or the market place.(or account bound so to speak).

Most things I would get / give to freinds / guild mates would be free anyway.

Tru

• 32 posts
    November 16, 2015 1:08 PM PST

I think an initial purchase price of $40 or whatever is the best way to combate farmers.

Aside from that some sort of daily generated exception report would make sense to me. Where if the same IP/account makes it's way onto the report multiple times then an admin maybe investigates the account/linked accounts and transactions (whatever the decided criteria or triggers are... botting, rmt, chat abuse).

People don't just bot once or rmt once or spam chat once. Maybe every few months they could change the 'flagged action criteria' so people can't figure it out by trial and error. I feel like if chat is logged, and transactions are logged, it would be fairly trivial to write a script to sniff out certain things and keep a history of 'people acting bad' to take action on once their count reaches some predefined threshold.

Either way... an initial fee and monitoring suspicious activity in an unpredictable and automated fashion seems like it would cripple their (the bad guys) ability to make a profit. At the end of the day an admin would still have to look at case by case things... but it would granular enough to where I don't see it being that overwhelming.

This post was edited by kinidin at November 16, 2015 1:11 PM PST
    • 29 posts
    November 16, 2015 2:37 PM PST

I play with friends in the states and in europe so blocking IPs will be a game breaker for me and my friends. Not interested in any region locks whatsoever, there is no logic behind this (other than money grabbing reasons, we are moving toward a globalized environment not a regional one).