Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Game Mechanics!

• 613 posts
    January 18, 2017 11:45 AM PST

Kilsin can you define mechanics please.  I see features here so what was it you were looking for?

Game mechanics are rule based systems / simulations that facilitate and encourage a user to explore and learn the properties of their possibility space through the use of feedback mechanisms.

Did a search for a quick def.   This is what I thought you meant.

Ox 

This post was edited by Oxillion at January 18, 2017 12:04 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    January 18, 2017 6:39 PM PST

Oxillion said:

Kilsin can you define mechanics please.  I see features here so what was it you were looking for?

Game mechanics are rule based systems / simulations that facilitate and encourage a user to explore and learn the properties of their possibility space through the use of feedback mechanisms.

Did a search for a quick def.   This is what I thought you meant.

Ox 

My original question was: "Game Mechanics - if you could name one favourite game mechanic from an MMORPG, what would it be and why? :)" but as with anything, people answer how they see fit and it is out of my control lol, I asked of game mechanics but features are cool too, it is more an exercise to interact with you all than anything so as long as we are discussing Pantheon and having a good time it doesn't matter.

This isn't official feedback or collection, it is friendly CM content to engage and interact, so while I do read everything and take note of some things it isn;t the reason why I ask these questions, so answer it however you see fit. :)

• 151 posts
    January 18, 2017 7:18 PM PST

Even though people are not listing game mechanics in it strictest sense valuable information about it can still be gained as many of the things listed can be tied to mechanics. Like looking at the core of the answer and taking out what they subconciously mean with it.

This post was edited by Youmu at January 18, 2017 7:18 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    January 18, 2017 7:33 PM PST

No level restriction for equipping gear, merchants having inventories that update with items sold to them by players, and the ability to drop items/money on the ground.

I remember one day in EQ my enchanter somehow had a bugged minor illusion cast and I was turned into a platinum piece, the bug being I was able to move around as the illusion so I had people chasing me all over the EC tunnel. 

Oh, and from FFXI I liked skillchains. Comboing abilities between classes to unleash spells/abilities more powerful than any one player could accomplish alone.

• 1860 posts
    January 18, 2017 10:43 PM PST

I really enjoyed playing with the Save vs Death mechanic of some spells in DDO.  It stems from D&D spells like Phantasmal Killer, Death Touch and Weird.  I haven't played another online game that used a mechanic quite like it.  It made for interesting game play (even though a lot of mobs were immune).  It created sort of an all or nothing mentality.  Due to a mobs individual saving throw numbers it could create interesting choices mid fight by making the player choose whether to keep trying with a spell that could be inefective, and possibly waste mana for nothing, or switch tactics and go back to normal damage spells.  On the flip side it made the player feel powerful when it worked reliably.