Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Halloween is coming.

• 453 posts
    October 1, 2015 12:09 PM PDT

Halloween is coming soon! My favorite season of the year. Do any of you have any cool plans?

A secondary question:

Do you like it when there are game events and game decor,outfits,etc. based on holidays and seasons in real life, or does that break immersion for you?

• 138 posts
    October 1, 2015 1:04 PM PDT

Other than a booze filled housewarming/Halloween party, nothing to crazy for me. 

and, yes I always thought it was alot of fun when the MMO's I've played did holiday events. It's a simple way to add trivial content, but its still fun.

• 781 posts
    October 1, 2015 1:19 PM PDT

My birthday is this month :)  Libra of course.  Yes I love when the game follows Holiday seasons.  Decorations in town are kewl, maybe even come across decorations left by npc's at fire camps in the middle of nowhere.  Simple reminders of the events going on

• 595 posts
    October 1, 2015 1:55 PM PDT

November birthday here.  Like Jason, this is my favorite time of the year as well.  In the Pacific Northwest we get LOTS of rain which I love!  Now living in Alberta, it's cold with LOTS of sunshine (very different for me)!

I love holiday events/decor in game, especially Halloween.  You can say what you will about Guild Wars 2 but I look back on ArenaNet's first Halloween event with great nostalgia.

• 384 posts
    October 1, 2015 5:09 PM PDT
    Jason said:

Halloween is coming soon! My favorite season of the year. Do any of you have any cool plans?

Just trick-or-treating with the kiddos. Pretty busy night around here. :)

A secondary question:

Do you like it when there are game events and game decor,outfits,etc. based on holidays and seasons in real life, or does that break immersion for you?

For the most part I do really like it. At least the decorations and the changes around the world. I still remember the first event, the winter one, in Asheron's Call. Everything was covered in snow and the look of the whole world changed. There were unique drops and mobs. It was great! What I don't care for and what does break immersion for me are holiday specific items with special properties that players grab and use year round. (I'm looking at you reindeer flying mount in VG!)

So, yes! Decorate and give out special items but nothing too amazing unless it's only useable during that particular holiday.

• 2138 posts
    October 1, 2015 6:47 PM PDT

I hope to be visited by more trick or treaters this year than last so I have little candy left over. I carve a pumpkin  or two for outside so they know to come around. 

I do like seeing interesting themed things in-game or even fun little events. I remember in EQ on Thanksgiving day, a huge, giant sized cockatrice named "turkey legs" would run around the overthere at faster than Bard speed. It would shout in zone challenging players to catch it (get close). If you did, you got a food item called turkey sandwich - ha!  

• 126 posts
    October 2, 2015 12:55 AM PDT

I like seasonal events in games. I heavily decorate guild hall and personal home for that, so yes. I like it :-)