Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Are you an alt hopper?

• 453 posts
    September 20, 2015 7:27 AM PDT

Do you generally try and level up one character at a time before starting another? Are you one of those people who only play one character in a game period? Or do you enjoy alt hopping?

When a game is first released I alt hop like crazy to see which classes I enjoy the most. After that I usually have 2 or 3 characters I jump around on, so I guess I am an alt hopper for sure.

• 430 posts
    September 20, 2015 8:53 AM PDT
    Generally once I make a character , I play only it till max level . Unless the guild I'm in needs a certain class .
    • 2138 posts
    September 20, 2015 9:16 AM PDT

Same for me, If you create an alt, and we were friends? it is as if you vanished, with no reason, Especially if we have been grouping and levelling regularly for - 6-9 levels or so.

• 3016 posts
    September 20, 2015 9:46 AM PDT
    Jason said:

Do you generally try and level up one character at a time before starting another? Are you one of those people who only play one character in a game period? Or do you enjoy alt hopping?

When a game is first released I alt hop like crazy to see which classes I enjoy the most. After that I usually have 2 or 3 characters I jump around on, so I guess I am an alt hopper for sure.

I love alts..I use them for my crafting, with one designated as my "hunter/explorer" type.  Plus another reason is to again..explore each race, each racial area,  and the lore attached to each.  If the game is set up this way,  I'll be playing for quite awhile.  Pretty sure I am not the only one that does this. :)

• 3016 posts
    September 20, 2015 9:47 AM PDT
    Manouk said:

Same for me, If you create an alt, and we were friends? it is as if you vanished, with no reason, Especially if we have been grouping and levelling regularly for - 6-9 levels or so.

I let people know if I am on one of my alts, but sometimes I just want to schmooze..and craft hehe Other thing I do, is create a low level alt, if a friend needs to be shown the ropes.  I don't mind doing that at all. :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at September 21, 2015 6:37 AM PDT
    • 179 posts
    September 20, 2015 10:54 AM PDT

At the beginning of the game I will try out a bunch of classes until I find which one I enjoy the most. Although I try to stick to the class I may have signed up for a guild it's impossible to know if you will enjoy the class until you try it.

• 308 posts
    September 20, 2015 1:14 PM PDT

at launch i will have 1 character i will play till max level. after that i will alt hop like crazy. if i didnt do beta though i will play each character for 10-20 levels (until i have a basic feel for the class) then decide which one i want to play till max.

that being said i will most likely make all my alts right at the beginning. just to save names and have mules.

• 753 posts
    September 20, 2015 10:00 PM PDT

I spent well over 5 years as Wandidar Aroundidar, wayward Ranger of the Sign of One on Karana Server in EQ.  I TRIED playing alts... I just never could. 

It wasn't that there weren't other classes I wanted to play - it was just that there was always more for me to do on Wandidar... PARTICULARLY after the advent of AA.  I simply always felt like there was more to do on Wandidar - and - If I took time to play something else, I was taking time FROM Wandidar and making myself better on that class... and besides that - even when I DID try an alt, I always felt like I wanted to play Wandidar more.

One of the things I was looking forward to when I left EQ was the concept of playing some alts - because that seemed very appealing to me.  These days I find myself hoping for a class within a game that so captures my attention that once again I will find myself WANTING to try an alt, but never finding the time - and if I do - feeling like I would rather play that class that had captured my attention instead.

• 89 posts
    September 21, 2015 6:32 AM PDT
    Jason said:

Unfortunately yes I am an alt hopper, but only when a game has good classes and enough unique content for when i roll another character. Having lots of alts is good and bad. The upside I get a chance to learn other classes and have a better idea of group dynamics and it keeps the game fresh for me. On the downside it does slow the progression of my main down and I never become a master at my main class. I do enjoy it though and it is important to me to be able to do this.

This post was edited by Zaketh at September 21, 2015 6:38 AM PDT
    • 89 posts
    September 21, 2015 6:34 AM PDT
    Manouk said:

I don't stop playing my main class, i just take short breaks here and there. I have fallen behind some friends doing this but I tend to not get to the max level super fast anyhow.

• 724 posts
    September 21, 2015 7:47 AM PDT

I only start alt-hopping when my main character doesn't have a lot to do anymore.

• 781 posts
    September 29, 2015 11:04 AM PDT

Max lvl :)  Achieve perfection with my alt personality character... then move on to my army of Alts.. :)

This post was edited by Kelem at September 29, 2015 11:05 AM PDT