Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Do you shun overly popular classes?

• 453 posts
    September 14, 2015 2:38 AM PDT

In many games some classes become much more popular than all the others. Sometimes these classes are overpowered, sometimes this is simply because they are so much fun to play and sometimes other factors make them the flavor-of-the-day class. When a class becomes extremely popular, does this sometimes make you shun the class and not play it or perhaps play it less?

• 1434 posts
    September 14, 2015 4:02 AM PDT

Always good questions Jason.

I actually do usually try to play the class that is less played. I'm just not a flavor of the month kind of guy, and I feel like playing a class well that is less often played is much more noteworthy than simply being another decent face in the crowd. I guess I sort of like to stand out, and showing that a less popular class is still viable is a good way to do it.

I also like to gauge how well designed a game is by the usefulness of each class. When I take the road less traveled and find there's actually a very good reason no one is there, I generally end up just quitting the game rather than switching to another class. To me, making sure each class has a purpose is one of the more crucial design decisions and its a real "red flag" when developers fail in that area.

• 21 posts
    September 14, 2015 4:42 AM PDT

While I tend to shy away from an overly popular class..it wouldn't stop me from playing it if it became my favorite.

• 595 posts
    September 14, 2015 7:18 AM PDT

I don't chose a class at launch based on the number of people playing it; I simply don't care.  I play a class at launch because I have some connection with or feeling about the class.  However, after launch I will select an alt based on server need.  If there is a serious lack of CC then I roll up CC.  This can be applied to any role/class.  So in a way, I naturally gravitate to the lesser played classes out of necessity.

• 384 posts
    September 14, 2015 10:05 AM PDT

Yes.

I usually go into a game having some idea which class/race combo I'm gonna play and that'll be the one that interests me the most buuuut it's not uncommon for me to eventually make up an alt that tends to be a less popular combo and play that, eventually more than (what was) my main. So... I'd say, yes I almost always pick a class/race that is less popular than most. I'm not really sure why that is....  but yeah, I'll even look around on the internets to see if there's info out there showing what's the least popular and pick that. I think a lot of times I kinda end up there anyway just by the nature of the classes/races I tend to pick. They just don't seem as appealing to a lot of other players but for some reason. For example, in EQ2 I played a Erudite Monk, always liked the gnome warrior in EQ1, in VG I'm not sure... I think most of the classes were under played ;).  Anyway, Good Question, Jason. :) 

• 1778 posts
    September 14, 2015 12:19 PM PDT
    Nope. Though I will say iys important to design a class with a good risk vs reward in balancing class skills. Outside of that I dont care if its cuz they are fun or if they are OP.
    • 158 posts
    September 14, 2015 4:39 PM PDT
    Jason said:

In many games some classes become much more popular than all the others. Sometimes these classes are overpowered, sometimes this is simply because they are so much fun to play and sometimes other factors make them the flavor-of-the-day class. When a class becomes extremely popular, does this sometimes make you shun the class and not play it or perhaps play it less?

I always play what  I feel like playing (usually based on lore/roleplay reasons) and never play something just because it is good (though I wont avoid it if its something I want to play anyway). Similarly I also wont discriminate on that basis when grouping up with others. I will pick a group that works of course, but I will not only accept what is currently the best (nor will I refuse said flavor of the month).

• 2138 posts
    September 14, 2015 5:41 PM PDT

Yes, if they are picked over me and they don't speak up for me to join, then fine, I will go play with some evils.  (ha ha)

• 51 posts
    September 15, 2015 4:14 AM PDT

I don't shun the popular ones so much as I'm drawn to the less popular ones. If I don't see a lot of x class around I start thinking about rolling one. But if I find out that my class is the most popular I won't stop playing it just for that reason. Ultimately I play the class that's most fun for me. But playing the under-appreciated ones does appeal to me, I admit.

This post was edited by Typhon at September 15, 2015 10:25 PM PDT
    • 144 posts
    September 15, 2015 7:38 PM PDT
    Jason said:

Rarely do I ever  play the class I start with.  I preffer a dps type with some heals.  Even if that means giving up some DPS or healing.  I don't want to be top dps or main healer.  I just want to survive and kill in a decent amount of time.

• 557 posts
    September 16, 2015 9:25 AM PDT

As others have mentioned, I play the class/race that I most identify with in the context of the game world.   How many others have made the same choice is not really a factor for me.   If the game tends to funnel everyone into a small number of classes, then the world is fundamentally broken.  This isn't something that I'd expect for a second from an experienced team like VRI.

I do tend to have an alt or two so I can experience the game from different perspectives but again would choose those based on how I perceive the class fitting into the world.   I'll even consider elements as trivial as appearance but will usually lean toward classes or races with specific abilities that appeal to me or have stats which favour a specific role that I want to assume in groups or raids.

• 409 posts
    September 16, 2015 10:47 AM PDT

FotD/W/M classes are always first to get a whack from the nerf bat, so I avoid them. If a class is generally seen as the worst one in the game, the forums are always crying about it, and everyone agrees it sux....that's the class for me, because at least then the worst that happens is the devs ignore you.

True story....if a game is mature enough to have a class population breakdown somewhere on the web, I will almost always pick one of the 2-3 least played classes because it's typically the most starting distance between my fun and the eventual nerf.

This post was edited by Venjenz at September 16, 2015 1:19 PM PDT
    • 89 posts
    September 17, 2015 8:42 AM PDT
    Chaam said:
    Jason said:

Rarely do I ever  play the class I start with.  I preffer a dps type with some heals.  Even if that means giving up some DPS or healing.  I don't want to be top dps or main healer.  I just want to survive and kill in a decent amount of time.

That sounds like a Vanguard Disciple :)

• 89 posts
    September 17, 2015 8:47 AM PDT

I decide what I plan to play well before the release of a game so I don't shun based on popularity. Only thing that will stop me from playing a class is if it is boring and or can't get groups.

If I play a game long enough I will create several alts. It just keeps the game fresh for me which is why I love a game with unique and fun classes. The downside to that is I tend to fall behind on the major quests like Pota gear and such.

• 781 posts
    September 29, 2015 11:21 AM PDT

Yeah, i am pretty much set on which race / class im going to play before the release of the game.  I do as much research as i can from post / forums on the race / class and know which direction i am going to take my character at creation.