Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Champions of Norrath

• 158 posts
    September 7, 2015 12:21 AM PDT

This is kindof a random subject (thats what off-topic discussion is for right?) but I was stricken with curiosity.

Are you everquest vets out there familiar with champions of norrath? If so, what did you think of it? For me that was actually the first game to introduce me to Norrath (which im sure will be met with some distaste as its a very different game from everquest and it probably retcon'd a lot of things) and to date it is probably my favorite ARPG (meaning diablo like title).

This post was edited by Mephiles at September 9, 2015 1:16 PM PDT
    • 158 posts
    September 7, 2015 7:54 PM PDT

At this point I am starting to feel like nobody even knows what I am talking about.

• 63 posts
    September 8, 2015 8:51 AM PDT

I am a big fan of the two Champions of Norrath games. I love that top down genre and tend to try anything that does it- Diablo series, Path of Exile, Baulders Gates. I have yet to try Pillars of Eternity, I hear it is great.

The games were great for what they were, although the stories and lore were a little bit broken if I recall correctly. 

• 158 posts
    September 8, 2015 11:36 AM PDT

Awesome, first comment is a dev comment! I agree on all points even though the story didn't bother me and I still enjoyed it (I am just fully aware of its faults). I have also enjoyed what I have played of pillars of eternity (I haven't finished it yet), it can feel a bit complicated or confusing at times if you aren't good with stats (because they have a ton of random stuff that is mostly similar to D&D game type stuff but renamed but its in a lot of layers) but it has some fun dungeons and stuff.

• 62 posts
    September 8, 2015 12:57 PM PDT

I only played it once and did not like it - but that was only because it wasn't really an online game and I was all about EQOA at the time. Lol.

• 63 posts
    September 8, 2015 1:13 PM PDT

The main draw to these games for me is the element of "couch co-op". Something that seems to be dwindling these days, but I grew up camping out in a room with some friends play couch co-op games. That coupled with some sort of cohesive fantasy progression is a good mix for me.

• 384 posts
    September 9, 2015 1:16 PM PDT

"couch co-op" it was - My wife and played that on my PS3 (it was backwards compatible with PS2 games).  I picked it up cheaply from Gamestop I believe.  Anyway, we played a good bit of it but I don't recall the story or if we finished it. What we played we enjoyed though. In fact, I might still have it stashed away in a closet somewhere. :)