Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Mission Control

• 81 posts
    August 26, 2015 9:04 AM PDT

I love seeing what other types of setups people have for gaming or just in general. I just recently picked up a second monitor so I could run dual monitors for stuff outside gaming. I have to say its pretty nice having so much more display surface for multitasking. My main monitor is a Acer with Gsync and my second is another acer similar but not Gsync. I have a single stand mount on order should be here soon so I can mount them on one vesa mount. A few months back I just replaced my Dell 24" widescreen I have run since EQ2 launched. Its so old it didnt even have a HDMI port. It was a good monitor lasted me a long time.

This post was edited by Raroic at August 30, 2015 6:16 AM PDT
    • 595 posts
    August 26, 2015 9:22 AM PDT

Great topic - I can't believe it's taken this long!  And cool setup Raroic.  I will have to post a picture when I get back to Canada as I'm currently in the States visiting family.  I could throw one up of my work laptop as a placeholder but that just isn't very exciting at all lol.  Stay tuned.

• 67 posts
    August 26, 2015 9:47 AM PDT

Currently have my ps4 hooked up here as well.  

This post was edited by Xeravik at August 30, 2015 6:17 AM PDT
    • 8 posts
    August 26, 2015 9:48 AM PDT

I have to confess this is not my home setup, its my control room at work.

On the other side of the room it has another bank of monitors.

48 monitors, 6 touch screens total in the room.

This post was edited by Larrikin at August 30, 2015 6:17 AM PDT
    • 595 posts
    August 26, 2015 9:51 AM PDT
    Larrikin said:

I have to confess this is not my home setup, its my control room at work.

On the other side of the room it has another bank of monitors.

48 monitors, 6 touch screens total in the room.

LOL Wow...

This post was edited by Nikademis at August 30, 2015 6:17 AM PDT
    • 8 posts
    August 28, 2015 7:37 PM PDT

Sorry Raroic,

This whole thread looks like it has had a sudden stop after me showing my control room.

It wasn't intended of frightening off anyone from sharing their setups.

I hope more people post photos of their setups.

• 578 posts
    August 28, 2015 9:43 PM PDT

Larrikin, what do you do for work??

• 81 posts
    August 29, 2015 5:45 AM PDT
    Larrikin said:

Sorry Raroic,

This whole thread looks like it has had a sudden stop after me showing my control room.

It wasn't intended of frightening off anyone from sharing their setups.

I hope more people post photos of their setups.

Lol no worries man! Not everyone likes to post pictures so its all good!

• 8 posts
    August 29, 2015 9:39 AM PDT
    NoobieDoo said:

I'm an ROV Supervisor (Remotely Operated Vehicle).

I work offshore in the Oil and Gas Industry installing new oil and gas facilities at the bottom of the ocean.

This youtube video gives you a glimps, It is not my video, just one that i found that could give you some idea of what it is like. As you can see from my Control room it is much better than the one in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TinxANRVqgI

The below photo is myself with the ROV which has 2 manipulators on the front, 8 Thrusters and many more sensors. This photo shows one of the manipulators with a 20 Inch Super Grinder with a cutting disc for slicing and dicing.

This post was edited by Larrikin at August 30, 2015 8:17 PM PDT
    • 453 posts
    August 30, 2015 6:16 AM PDT

Awesome setup at your Job, Larrikin! It's like a real life video game. Those chairs you sit in are each like a throne. I can see why you chose your avatar now LOL

• 578 posts
    August 30, 2015 8:23 PM PDT
    Larrikin said:
    NoobieDoo said:

I'm an ROV Supervisor (Remotely Operated Vehicle).

I work offshore in the Oil and Gas Industry installing new oil and gas facilities at the bottom of the ocean.

This youtube video gives you a glimps, It is not my video, just one that i found that could give you some idea of what it is like. As you can see from my Control room it is much better than the one in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TinxANRVqgI

The below photo is myself with the ROV which has 2 manipulators on the front, 8 Thrusters and many more sensors. This photo shows one of the manipulators with a 20 Inch Super Grinder with a cutting disc for slicing and dicing.

WOW, looks like a pretty sweet gig. Those ROVs look hard to control though being in the water and all. Do you see the use of VR equipment like the Occulus Rift being implented into your job? That seems like it might be useful if utilized properly.

• 8 posts
    August 30, 2015 10:10 PM PDT
    NoobieDoo said:
    WOW, looks like a pretty sweet gig. Those ROVs look hard to control though being in the water and all. Do you see the use of VR equipment like the Occulus Rift being implented into your job? That seems like it might be useful if utilized properly.

Unfortunately as the Pilot there is so many things to be checking on other than looking solely on one screen. You need a great 3D awareness which requires you to be looking at multiple screens at the same time from multiple cameras positioned around the ROV and diagnostic screens.

The only time that equipment like the Occulus Rift would be good would be the Co-Pilot using a 3D camera to operate the manipulators as that task you can focus on. Normally you would use multiple cameras from different angles to get depth perception but using a single 3D camera and Occulus Rift would work well. 

This post was edited by Larrikin at August 30, 2015 10:10 PM PDT