Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Smedley leaving DBG

• 9 posts
    August 21, 2015 3:58 PM PDT

http://www.pcgamer.com/john-smedley-has-left-daybreak-games-to-start-new-company/

Brad any chance to team up with your old partner now? :)

edit: guess this is more off topic, i would have deleted and posted it there if we had that option

This post was edited by Oberon at August 22, 2015 3:57 PM PDT
    • 557 posts
    August 21, 2015 4:12 PM PDT

Heya Oberon.  Guess you missed Brad's blog post here on the site.

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/blogs/151/170/my-response-to-smed-s-stepping-d

• 9 posts
    August 21, 2015 4:19 PM PDT

I remember reading that but this was different than just him changing positions in the company. So I don't know :)

• 557 posts
    August 21, 2015 4:34 PM PDT

I was thinking more along the comments of diverging paths and the types of games that Brad and Smed wanted to work on.   Of course stranger things have happened.

• 221 posts
    August 22, 2015 5:31 AM PDT
    Wish the guy luck but he needs to keep his filthy hands off this game.

Brads blog laid out what a lot of us knew for years. Smed is more about mass appeal and chasing the gravy train. Keep in mind, pantheon was pitched to Smed and he passed, he was also asked if the team could purchase the forgelight engine and he declined. He wasn't exactly helpful in the making of this game.
    • 81 posts
    August 22, 2015 6:25 AM PDT

After reading Brad's blog about Smed I doubt we would see him working on this game. Although they are friends it seems they have different visions of making games now. It will be interesting to see where he ends up though.

• 39 posts
    August 23, 2015 12:51 AM PDT

I think (read: hope) there's no real chance of Smedley becoming involved in Pantheon.  He's a brilliant guy and will probably be successful wherever he ends up, but this most likely isn't the place.  The direction which he steered late Everquest for instance brought his company a lot of short term money, but it also alienated the subscriber base.  Those kinds of business decisions are counterintuitive to what is being done here.  It would be like hiring a former oil company CEO to oversee forestation.

• 105 posts
    August 25, 2015 2:16 PM PDT
    Jitai said:

I think (read: hope) there's no real chance of Smedley becoming involved in Pantheon.  He's a brilliant guy and will probably be successful wherever he ends up, but this most likely isn't the place.  The direction which he steered late Everquest for instance brought his company a lot of short term money, but it also alienated the subscriber base.  Those kinds of business decisions are counterintuitive to what is being done here.  It would be like hiring a former oil company CEO to oversee forestation.

We could always be wrong, but I'm with you. On so many levels it seems improbable. I don't know that Pantheon is the kind of game he'd want to make. He is probably used to a bit more generous budget (and Salary) when it comes to developing games. He might be able to attract a different kind of investor, but only if he could convince them Pantheon was a mass appeal game and he could make it work. He has opportunities of his own to pursue. It just doesn't seem likely that he'd be interested or that Brad would want to change the nature of the game.

• 595 posts
    August 25, 2015 2:32 PM PDT
    Kayd said:
    We could always be wrong, but I'm with you. On so many levels it seems improbable. I don't know that Pantheon is the kind of game he'd want to make. He is probably used to a bit more generous budget (and Salary) when it comes to developing games. He might be able to attract a different kind of investor, but only if he could convince them Pantheon was a mass appeal game and he could make it work. He has opportunities of his own to pursue. It just doesn't seem likely that he'd be interested or that Brad would want to change the nature of the game.

Yea I agree.  Seems like the two are philosophically on opposite ends of the spectrum at this point.  I wouldn't be surprised if the two have a discussion about Pantheon and Smed even offers up some advice but actually joining the project seems pretty far fetched.  With all that said, I really have no basis for this opinion outside what Brad described in his blog post.

• 9115 posts
    August 25, 2015 4:34 PM PDT

Brad has already answered this question twice now guys, once in his blog which shows how far apart their mindsets are when it comes to this type of MMO and a second time in an MMORPG.com thread stating that Smed will not be working for us but he wishes him the best of luck in anything he chooses to do.