Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

$$$ Cash Camps $$$

• 453 posts
    August 15, 2015 11:33 AM PDT

EQ had various mobs that people camped for cash loot such as Hill Giants and Ice Giants. If such camps were in Pantheon would this be a positive or a negative thing in your opinion and what sort of alternatives can you think of?

• 557 posts
    August 15, 2015 12:21 PM PDT

I think mobile cash mobs are a great idea if there's a bit of a hunt involved. 

On the other hand, sitting in OoT slaying seafuries on a small island was more of a grind to get coin.   I'd rather see the mobs harder to find, not always popping in the same location and giving slightly better rewards.

I'd be very disappointed in Pantheon if we had camps like the Ancient Cyclops (jboot quest) in OoT where there was a fixed spawn frequency of placeholders on the same 2 inches of beach and you just killed useless placeholders, no drops and waited out the RNG to flip in your favour.

It would have been far more interesting if the AC had a random spawn time, could have popped on any of the islands and had placeholders with items that were both worthy of collecting to sell to vendors and would eat up significant pack space.

• 158 posts
    August 15, 2015 5:34 PM PDT

If there is really any economy in the game at all this is going to be a thing regardless and I don't think thats a bad thing. People want things, they might require money to get those things and they are going to try to find efficient ways to make money. Maybe I am not quite understanding the question but why would you be trying to impede players from making money? I think as long as there is a wide variety of desirable things problems should be minimal. (again, correct me if I am not understanding what is meant by cash camps)

• 1584 posts
    September 1, 2016 2:43 AM PDT

There a simple way on how to make money, and its the a huge part of all MMO's its called Tradeskill's this should be your biggest source of steady income in any game, if you can just go to Hill Giant Hill in Rathe Mounts and make more money than the guy who is selling sets of gear through his Tradeskills than whats the point in doing them?  plus having an area like Hill Giant Hill is that it will be prema camped by high lvl characters at all times and probably will wait for a guildy to take the camp before he logs so the currency stays in guild, and makes inflation of certain items sky rocket due so those people having tons or money but leaving the casual/non lucky people of gettig them camps to afford such items.  I'm not saying to craddle all players but something like a cash cow camp should be avoided imo.

• 96 posts
    September 1, 2016 5:59 AM PDT

I don't disagree that tradeskills are a good way to make money, however do you really want that to be the only way to make a good bit of cash?  If everyone is tradeskilling, the market would just be flooded with cheap items.  I don't think it's bad to have areas that can be worked for cash/sellable items.  

Now I'm not saying that it should be extremely profitable but you need to have multiple ways of generating income.  

I'm pretty sure I saw one of the VR guys mention this, though it might have been in reference to quest/gear drops more than cash drops.  There is a push to make the drops rotate between mobs that do not have fixed spawn points, but can pop at various locations.  This could definitely reduce the tendancy to outright camp certain areas for cash drops, or at least spread the wealth a little bit compared to the sea fury/hill giant alternative.

• 763 posts
    September 1, 2016 12:35 PM PDT

Tradeskills that generate $$$ add a 'small' ammount to the game's MUD-flation.

Tradeskills must be 'trained up' (costs $)

Tradeskills usually cost $ to create the item intended for sale, reducing profit.

Tradeskills are a time-sink (moreso for ones that relay on 2nd and 3rd skills for profit)

Camped mobs that generate $$$ add a 'large' ammount to the game's MUD-flation.

Just 'cash $$$ dropped' vs 'time to kill mob'.

It doesn't matter if everyone is using tradeskills to make $$$. If the market is flooded with items intended for sale, then the price of these will drop. Less cash in the system will ensure the drop is a sharp one. In other words a player driven economy will not flourish if cash drops are high (everyone will hunt) but will develop slowly if cash drop are very low. You can ameliorate this rate of development by replacing 'cash' drops with 'tradeskill component' drops.

• 1778 posts
    September 1, 2016 2:17 PM PDT

What Evoras and Irriaden said