Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

When old school is "too old school"

• 384 posts
    July 30, 2015 7:58 AM PDT
    Zandil said:
    People seem to think being against corpse runs is being easy mode. I am not saying death should be meaningless i think it should damn well hurt, but Corpse runs are just time sinks, i would rather see you lose random item completly on death, lose xp ,make death hurt but not waste my time on running around

Ouch lol Iosing a random item on death was something I considered proposing in my reply above but then I imagined losing something I really worked for and valued and figured that would hurt too much lol. Course part of me says, yeah bring it on! Course the thought of perma death appeals to me sometimes too so maybe I'm not the best judge. :) I hear you about it being a timesink and kind of an archaic way to handle deaths, maybe there's a better way. Maybe giving the player a choice would work, lose an item or corpse run or some other equally bad option. I dunno just glad I'm not the one deciding. :)
  • July 30, 2015 12:18 PM PDT

It's never too old school as long as the graphics are current,  the game play and dungeons are invigorating, and the story interesting. 

Now,  I would propose having corpse runs in Pantheon.  I would also propose the action of reaching one's corpse and looting it (or whatever the mechanic will be) returns 25% of experience lost to the death.  Along with that proposal, I would like to see the option of going into the menu and clicking a button which will allow one to not do the run but have gear sent to a Parcel service (or something more appropriate other than personal mail) which would be closer to a bind point, if any thought was put into the day's adventure :).  To lower the possibility of abuse (death porting, abandoning group, etc..) the use of the retrieval service should cost some gold.  Exp loss and spending cash should be the trade for not having to make a corpse run.

Well,  it isn't flushed out very well, but I don't have my glasses and it's difficult to read what I've typed. lhaha!  Sorry for spelling errors if any :)

That's generally my idea, though, and i think it would work pretty well.

• 409 posts
    July 31, 2015 10:37 AM PDT
    Zandil said:
    People seem to think being against corpse runs is being easy mode. I am not saying death should be meaningless i think it should damn well hurt, but Corpse runs are just time sinks, i would rather see you lose random item completly on death, lose xp ,make death hurt but not waste my time on running around

Losing a random item = timesink to get the item back

Losing exp = timesink to grind the exp back.

So you're essentially arguing over the specific type of timesink? Losing a random item would be the most absurdly painful of all the possible death timesinks, especially if the random item chosen was something like the Epic 1.0 weapons or other rare drop. That would be EVE territory right there, and would essentially negate the reason to get epic drops in the first place, which is to employ them vs bad guys where they are required to advance and dying a bunch of times is part of the process.

The current death mechanics of EQ1, minus de-leveling, are about as close to perfect as it gets, and are perfect if you mix in some Anarchy Online. It goes like this:

EQ1 campfire/fellowship mechanic creates fast travel rally points where the rally point can be reset as often as you like, but the fellowship can only change every 24 hours, iirc. The fellowship can have as many people as you like in it, but once in it, you are 24 hours from dropping and joining another. You respawn from death with all your gear/money/items, but that corpse has the lost exp on it, so that corpse must get rezzed by someone. PoK has the corpse summoners who charge outrageous coin to summon your corpse, or you are a veteran who has paid plenty into the EQ1 fund and you have that cool veteran reward that once per week means you can summon all your corpses to you, or you do old fashioned /corpse macro button dragging and get that/those corpse(s) to somewhere a kindly rezzbot cleric can hook you up. That gets you your corpses and the 96% restored exp.

We then borrow from Anarchy Online with the exp pool to handle deleveling. Let us say you are at level 100.00, and that level 100 to 101 requires 10 million exp, and any death ever is 10% of your current level lost in exp, and rezz is 96% restoration of lost exp. So you die, and now you are 1 million exp in the hole, and rezz gives you back 960k of that. OK, you are now at 100.00 + 40k deficit. Let's say every even /con mob is worth 0.5% of a level, or at level 100, worth exactly 50k. No big deal, your rezz means that now level 101 is 1 extra mob away. OK, die 20 times, and the penalty still exists without making you have to rescribe spells, take gear on and off that you level and delevel into/out of, etc. But the timesink gets added just the same.

So you still need to get your corpses, you still need rezz, and death still hurts without deleveling or making items go poof. But running to corpses is made easier BY GROUPING, getting rezzes is made easier BY GROUPING, and regrinding the lost exp is made easier BY GROUPING. You can make death hurt but also make it a mechanic that drives grouping. Items going poof on death would make learning a raid boss very problematic, because you'd only get as many attempts as you have gear slots, and since most raid boss progression is essentially gear checkpoints, you really only get one or two chances before you go back to grinding. Corpse run/rezz/exp deficit allows for the standard raid learning curve of many deaths and much annoyance, without limiting your ability to go after big bad boss more than once or twice every month or so.

So take EQ1 as it is right now and just swap deleveling with AO's exp deficit pool. Done. Covers grinding, timesinks, immersion, group dynamics and fellowship....all in one. :D

This post was edited by Venjenz at July 31, 2015 6:26 PM PDT