Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

UI must have elements, what are yours!

• 9115 posts
    July 21, 2015 8:56 AM PDT
    Venjenz said:

1) Must be g13 and at least 5-button mouse compliant. Period. If I cannot map 4 hotbars to 1-7, alt1-alt7, ctrl2-ctrl5 (use row 3 button 1 as ctrl+[ for PTT on voice comms), and ctrl-alt3-5 to mimic my keypad setup on a g13, I won't play the game. Period. I cannot MMO without a fully bindable, customizable hot bar set up that reads a g13 gamepad. Same for the 5 button mouse. 5 clicks + wheel must be bindable and the game needs to be able to read the input or I won't play it.

2) ALL UI objects should be fully customizable in size, location, locking, snap-to-grid or not, etc. Chat window and hotbars especially.

3) Option to turn off graphics I don't want or need.

Past that, I don't care about style. figure it will be standard "middle earth-y, fantasy-esque" UI that I swear must be a library in DirectX at this point. I know for certain that g13/gaming mouse compatibility is 100% binary deal breaker. If it is compliant, I'll play, if not, I won't. I am not the only MMO gamer that thinks this way, btw. First thing I test is control inputs and g13/razr compatibility, and I dump any game that fails.

"I am really interested in hearing what you like and want to challenge you to refrain from mentioning what you don't like ;)"

I want to move away from negativity like this. I asked to hear what you personally like and challenged everyone to pick 3 of their must haves but making demands and stating that you will quit or not play if they are not met will not change the outcome and will only set the mood for more negativity, I hope we can lighten up a bit and move forward with things we like, instead of posting dislikes as this is just a fun thread to hear what everyone likes in their UIs.

• 1778 posts
    July 21, 2015 9:41 AM PDT
    I would like the ability to rebind everything. I sometimes use wierd peripherals and it helps to be able to do this. I also really like the ability to tie the mouse scroll to quickly scroll through abilities. Seen it in a few games and it worked pretty good. Of course Im sure everyone is well aware of my fascination with gamepads in particular. Also I have a buddy that prefers to play KB only. Yep arrow keys instead of mouse. Hey I dont get it either but he raids like a boss so to each therr own lol.
    • 409 posts
    July 21, 2015 9:57 AM PDT

1) Hotbars

2) Player/target/focus frames

3) HUD indicators like HP/mana/endurance/etc

• 378 posts
    July 21, 2015 1:42 PM PDT

I like everything I don't want in the UI to be able to be toggled off and hidden.

Ability to use raid group frames as my standard group frame.

Now this may start a debate but I'll throw it out there again, mouse over frame push, this is were you hold your cursor over a group member frame and you hit the button for lets say a heal and it heals that target, there is no need to click and select the actual target. Now you can still do the old system of clicking everything as well this just gives you more control and once you use mouse over you never go back.  Brad did say Pantheon will be a old school MMO with new features this is one of them :)

• 34 posts
    July 21, 2015 2:11 PM PDT

Three elements in a UI?

1) The obvious choice - a character status box. Preferably customisable for which stats are displayed and how (e.g. Mana, Health, Stam, XP, whatever other key resources are core to the character, and choosing to show them just as a bar, bar with % value, numerical value etc). Ideally this should be customisable per stat. This should also be able to display basic information about group mates, when applicable.

2) Ability bars / hotbuttons - including macro/customisable command buttons. There should be an ability to select the size of the hotbar area in terms of number of buttons available, both width and length (some sensible upper limits could be applied if required). Must clearly visually reflect any cooldowns or other effects impacting ability use.

3) I'd really like to see a UI that has some more dynamically adapting elements. In the interest of trying not to clutter the UI too much, but to still have information available, why can't I have a window that, say, shows my target details when I have a target, but shows a minimap and quest tracker when I don't?

• 154 posts
    July 21, 2015 5:52 PM PDT

1. Opacity control - I would like to have some sort of slide bar to control the opacity of the individual UI components.

2. Character/group status bars

3. Hot keys and what not

Something else I am thinking about is class/race specific ability indicators. I am thinking along the lines of how in Vanguard when you had the opportunity to combo or something of that nature the skill lit up but instead of the skill lighting up maybe have some sort of non standard UI interaction. For example with a spell caster when a spell triggers something for another spell instead of that skill lighting up a mystical glyph appears in front of you or when a song/buff is about to fade the edges of the screen start to change color like your aura is changing. I consider those things to be UI because they could replace parts of the traditional UI and provide a more immersive experience and maintain a minimalistic UI while still communicating the same information.

• 9115 posts
    July 21, 2015 6:07 PM PDT
    Amsai said:
    I would like the ability to rebind everything. I sometimes use wierd peripherals and it helps to be able to do this. I also really like the ability to tie the mouse scroll to quickly scroll through abilities. Seen it in a few games and it worked pretty good. Of course Im sure everyone is well aware of my fascination with gamepads in particular. Also I have a buddy that prefers to play KB only. Yep arrow keys instead of mouse. Hey I dont get it either but he raids like a boss so to each therr own lol.

Rebinding is a great option to have, I must admit I use it in a lot fo games.

• 9115 posts
    July 21, 2015 6:07 PM PDT
    Venjenz said:

1) Hotbars

2) Player/target/focus frames

3) HUD indicators like HP/mana/endurance/etc

Thanks Venjenz, nice choices ;) 

• 9115 posts
    July 21, 2015 6:11 PM PDT
    Zandil said:

I like everything I don't want in the UI to be able to be toggled off and hidden.

Ability to use raid group frames as my standard group frame.

Now this may start a debate but I'll throw it out there again, mouse over frame push, this is were you hold your cursor over a group member frame and you hit the button for lets say a heal and it heals that target, there is no need to click and select the actual target. Now you can still do the old system of clicking everything as well this just gives you more control and once you use mouse over you never go back.  Brad did say Pantheon will be a old school MMO with new features this is one of them :)

We have said that UI elements can be turned on/off and moved around ;) 

Mouse over is considered lazy and much easier by a lot of people, even the healer helper UI option for some custom UIs in VG was frowned on by a lot of people so I am not sure about this mate but I appreciate the reply, definitely food for thought.

• 9115 posts
    July 21, 2015 6:17 PM PDT
    Khabarakh said:

Three elements in a UI?

1) The obvious choice - a character status box. Preferably customisable for which stats are displayed and how (e.g. Mana, Health, Stam, XP, whatever other key resources are core to the character, and choosing to show them just as a bar, bar with % value, numerical value etc). Ideally this should be customisable per stat. This should also be able to display basic information about group mates, when applicable.

2) Ability bars / hotbuttons - including macro/customisable command buttons. There should be an ability to select the size of the hotbar area in terms of number of buttons available, both width and length (some sensible upper limits could be applied if required). Must clearly visually reflect any cooldowns or other effects impacting ability use.

3) I'd really like to see a UI that has some more dynamically adapting elements. In the interest of trying not to clutter the UI too much, but to still have information available, why can't I have a window that, say, shows my target details when I have a target, but shows a minimap and quest tracker when I don't?

Yes, because I wanted to see if people could just give me 3 of their "must haves", it was a challenge to find out what is most important to players and so far, many have been incapable of limiting it to 3 lol, we will of course have more than 3 elements in our UI ;)

Nice choices mate, simple yet functional :) 

• 9115 posts
    July 21, 2015 6:21 PM PDT
    cram9030 said:

1. Opacity control - I would like to have some sort of slide bar to control the opacity of the individual UI components.

3. Hot keys and what not

Something else I am thinking about is class/race specific ability indicators. I am thinking along the lines of how in Vanguard when you had the opportunity to combo or something of that nature the skill lit up but instead of the skill lighting up maybe have some sort of non standard UI interaction. For example with a spell caster when a spell triggers something for another spell instead of that skill lighting up a mystical glyph appears in front of you or when a song/buff is about to fade the edges of the screen start to change color like your aura is changing. I consider those things to be UI because they could replace parts of the traditional UI and provide a more immersive experience and maintain a minimalistic UI while still communicating the same information.

Yeah, nice Cram, good choices mate.

A lot of the VG racials were passives or activated abilities, I like the idea of adding them to chains or maybe even building up enough power to use it instead of putting a cooldown on it, make it so the ability gets drained once used and needs to be filled back up again by killing a certain type of mob or collecting some type of energy etc. (all relative to the races starting area/lore etc. of course)

• 154 posts
    July 21, 2015 7:51 PM PDT
    Kilsin said:
    cram9030 said:

3. Hot keys and what not

A lot of the VG racials were passives or activated abilities, I like the idea of adding them to chains or maybe even building up enough power to use it instead of putting a cooldown on it, make it so the ability gets drained once used and needs to be filled back up again by killing a certain type of mob or collecting some type of energy etc. (all relative to the races starting area/lore etc. of course)

Yeah I could not think of good race based examples because they traditionally are passives. I think in VG the dark elves had a imp or something they could summon but otherwise it was mostly passive. Mostly I was just sitting there thinking of UIs I liked a lot and they all tended to be from SiFi games and I realized it was because a heads up display was something we would expect in the future/now but in a fantasy game you don't really have that advantage. That is why I was thinking that maybe adding creative visuals on a need only basis like for chains or what not would be really cool. Though saying that I recognize that a lot of people would want a more traditional UI system as well or only so it all comes back to adaptability. :)

Edit: added the last sentence

This post was edited by cram9030 at July 21, 2015 8:52 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    July 21, 2015 8:51 PM PDT
    cram9030 said:
    Kilsin said:
    cram9030 said:

3. Hot keys and what not

Yeah I could not think of good race based examples because they traditionally are passives. I think in VG the dark elves had a imp or something they could summon but otherwise it was mostly passive. Mostly I was just sitting there thinking of UIs I liked a lot and they all tended to be from SiFi games and I realized it was because a heads up display was something we would expect in the future/now but in a fantasy game you don't really have that advantage. That is why I was thinking that maybe adding creative visuals on a need only basis like for chains or what not would be really cool. Though saying that I recognize that a lot of people would want a more traditional UI system as well or only so it all comes back to adaptability. :)

Edit: added the last sentence

Yeah exactly, the Dark Elves summoned a Haelifur pet/minion which was the wyrm/dragon looking thing which was so OP and got nerfed after a few years (after it was removed completely which sucked), I like visuals in immersive games like fantasy mmorpgs, I know where you are coming from with HUDs though, I like them too in my SiFi and FPS games :)

• 25 posts
    July 22, 2015 10:01 AM PDT

I personally think you should be able to customize it any way your want. either keeping it slim or having whatever makes you feel comfortable. Vertical or Horizontal, show or not to show, Transparent or not, etc. 

• 9115 posts
    July 22, 2015 4:27 PM PDT
    Raven8Hawk said:

I personally think you should be able to customize it any way your want. either keeping it slim or having whatever makes you feel comfortable. Vertical or Horizontal, show or not to show, Transparent or not, etc. 

Yeah, this would be awesome :)