Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Kill Stealing !

• 453 posts
    July 18, 2015 9:19 AM PDT

Who do you think should get the xp from a killed mob : Whovever hits the mobs first? Whoever does a specific amount/percentage of damage first? Whoever does the most overall damage? Whoever does the killing blow? In come circumstances should xp be shared? What do ya think?

POLL:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/polls/view/248/kill-stealing

• 13 posts
    July 18, 2015 11:05 AM PDT

I'd like to see an option where Exp is shared to all who contribute (need to do a minimum amount of damage) but the drops (loot/quest items) probably should go to max damage done.

• 158 posts
    July 18, 2015 1:49 PM PDT

The first method that comes to mind is having targets be "claimed" on first hit which would grant the person who claims the target full rewards for the fight when the claimed target dies. Then, perhaps allowing others to get shared exp based on contribution. For example one player claims the monster and that player gets full exp and drops but if a second person ends up fighting after the initial claim they can get credit based on the damage they do to the monster or maybe even support given to the other player (maybe hard cap it at 50-75% of the reward).

• 753 posts
    July 18, 2015 10:32 PM PDT

If I recall, in EQ it was whoever did 15% of damage first or something to that effect.  I like that sort of thing because then it makes kill stealing an informed decision by someone.  That is - I think we have all hit a mob without seeing someone there over the years.  Especially since MMO's have progressed away from camps and toward a more mobile game.  Having to do some percentage of damage means you likely had to first have the accidental "oops, didn't see that guy there who likely had rights to that mob" - followed up by a "ok, gonna kill it anyway" line of thought needed to get the kill.

Having it just be "whoever tagged it first" allows someone to intentionally tag it first, and then claim accident.  I want the game made to allow anyone to do anything they decide to do - but I don't want the game such that it will allow them to do crappy things and hide their intent.

If they want to KS, let them KS - BUT - make it so that there is absolutely NO doubt they intended to KS.

I'm not at all a fan of shared reward - it encourages situations where 4000 people attack a mob that only needs 2 to kill it.  Sorta like some public quests in some games where there are enough people there to trivialize the public event.  It's not really much fun when that happens.

This post was edited by Wandidar at July 22, 2015 8:19 AM PDT
    • 288 posts
    July 19, 2015 12:12 AM PDT
    Wandidar said:

If I recall, in EQ it was whoever did 15% of damage first or something to that effect.  I like that sort of thing because then it makes kill stealing an informed decision by someone.  That is - I think we have all hit a mob without seeing someone there over the years.  Especially since MMO's have progressed away from camps and toward a more mobile game.  Having to do some percentage of damage means you likely had to first have the accidental "oops, didn't see that guy there who likely had rights to that mob" - followed up by a "ok, gonna kill it anyway" line of thought needed to get the kill.

Having it just be "whoever tagged it first" allows someone to intentionally tag it first, and then claim accident.  I want the game made to allow anyone to do anything they decide to do - but I don't want the game such that it will allow them to do crappy things and hide their intent.

If they want to KS, let them KS - BUT - make it so that there is absolutely NO doubt they intended to KS.

I'm not at all a fan of shared reward - it encourages situations where 4000 people attack a mob that only needs 2 to kill it.  Sorta like some public quests in some games where there are enough people there to trivialize the public event.  It's not really much fun when that happens.

Actually in EQ it was simply whoever did the most damage, if you or you group combined did over 50% you get the kill.  EQ's system was great besides 1 thing, the raid function didn't work properly for a long period of time, thus making you form a "DPS group" to ensure nobody KS'ed your raid targets.  If the raid system worked properly, your entire raids damage would be calculated towards the 50% instead of 1 group.

I am totally against sharing XP with non group members, if they damage it, that's there own prerogative and if they don't do higher than 50% they get nothing.

Most times these situations can be resolved through player social interaction, and if it can't (griefing), that's where play nice policy steps in and plays mediator.  I definitely don't want to see these situations done away with the way they have been in most new MMO's, although we all dislike trolls, if there isn't the possibility for encounters between players both positive AND negative, then social interaction will be severely hampered.

This post was edited by Rallyd at July 22, 2015 8:19 AM PDT
    • 154 posts
    July 19, 2015 9:22 AM PDT
    Rallyd said:

Actually in EQ it was simply whoever did the most damage, if you or you group combined did over 50% you get the kill.  EQ's system was great besides 1 thing, the raid function didn't work properly for a long period of time, thus making you form a "DPS group" to ensure nobody KS'ed your raid targets.  If the raid system worked properly, your entire raids damage would be calculated towards the 50% instead of 1 group.

I am totally against sharing XP with non group members, if they damage it, that's there own prerogative and if they don't do higher than 50% they get nothing.

Most times these situations can be resolved through player social interaction, and if it can't (griefing), that's where play nice policy steps in and plays mediator.  I definitely don't want to see these situations done away with the way they have been in most new MMO's, although we all dislike trolls, if there isn't the possibility for encounters between players both positive AND negative, then social interaction will be severely hampered.

I could be wrong but I always thought it was who did 50% first, its a pretty slight difference but in situations where mobs heal and so forth you can yo-yo over and under 50%. Even if I am wrong, which is very possible, that is the way I would prefer it personally. That way after 50% there is no incentive to heal the mob to try and deal more damage.

• 25 posts
    July 21, 2015 10:40 AM PDT

I think it depends on the mobs. common fast spawning > first hit. 

higher mobs like elites,etc > contribution or DMG % and so on...

Looking at what rallyd said if someone had a first hit on the mob but really didnt have what it took to take down the mob and some locals helped or had it eyed as well there should be some type of reward: maybe exp, maybe assistance faction reward= type of currency they could use for potions, gear addons whatever. Community building.

big loot items > contribution

spawn rates can play a part too.

lot of variables i am sure

This post was edited by Raven8Hawk at July 24, 2015 12:53 PM PDT
    • 409 posts
    July 22, 2015 7:17 AM PDT

It should be a mix, where quest mobs are credited to anyone who tags them and open world grind mobs are whoever does 50.1% overall dmg.

End of the day, it's about loot anyway, and the easy way to get around loot steals is simply put important/necessary loot on quest or instanced mobs, and let the rare/unique randoms drop off anything of a certain difficulty. Vanguard/EQ2's dot/arrow system is good for an example. Starting with 1/1,000 chance on random yard trash, just move the probability up a notch as the mob difficulty increases, so at the 5 dot/arrow elite level, instead 1/1,000 chance, it's 1/100 or 1/50 or something. And since it is a seeded random database search on item_IDs, you can do like Diablo and base the entire table on the player classes involved in the fight. Most KS'ing is instigated by trying to get the ph4t l3wtz, so randomize of instance the drops, and the problem sorta takes care of itself.

• 1778 posts
    July 22, 2015 10:10 AM PDT
    I would first say that I would rather have most if all mobs be uncontested. I would rather they be item or quest spawned to the party/alliance in question. Just make the fights challenging and the rare drop rates on Raid/Dungeon/World bosses. And allow no outside assistance.

That being said if mobs must be contested. FIRST CLAIM all the way and no outside assistance or support. That way if I claim it its up to me and mine to defeat it. If we cant and we die. Then the mob (raid or otherwise) is back up for a new claim.The biggest problem I have with percent damage is it promotes zerging and potentially takes challenge out. Also if a mob must be contested I see it like a race to see who grabs it first. It seems cheesy and zergy to me to promote kill stealing. Now understsnd though but just because you win the race doesnt mean youve won the battle. In my scenario you still have to win under your own sweat and you still have to battle the RNG (muhaha). This also creates another sub role for classes with fast/instant ranged abilities.

I would make an exception for maybe story or certain quest based mobs that are needed. Like was said above just instance or phase or have them spawn claimed.
    • 308 posts
    July 22, 2015 3:17 PM PDT
    Amsai said:
    I would first say that I would rather have most if all mobs be uncontested. I would rather they be item or quest spawned to the party/alliance in question. Just make the fights challenging and the rare drop rates on Raid/Dungeon/World bosses. And allow no outside assistance. That being said if mobs must be contested. FIRST CLAIM all the way and no outside assistance or support. That way if I claim it its up to me and mine to defeat it. If we cant and we die. Then the mob (raid or otherwise) is back up for a new claim.The biggest problem I have with percent damage is it promotes zerging and potentially takes challenge out. Also if a mob must be contested I see it like a race to see who grabs it first. It seems cheesy and zergy to me to promote kill stealing. Now understsnd though but just because you win the race doesnt mean youve won the battle. In my scenario you still have to win under your own sweat and you still have to battle the RNG (muhaha). This also creates another sub role for classes with fast/instant ranged abilities. I would make an exception for maybe story or certain quest based mobs that are needed. Like was said above just instance or phase or have them spawn claimed.

+1 I too like the idea of all the named type mobs being spawn locked to a player or group. like the EQ cleric mob Regis, except when i spawn him i am the only one who can attack him.