Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Favorite Game Mechanic ?

• 610 posts
    July 7, 2015 10:59 AM PDT

What I want really is for ALL stats to matter to ALL classes as it was in EQ.

In other games ive played each class had one stat that they just poured everything into and never gave a second thought to any others.

Give me lots of stats (STR DEX AGI CON WIS INT CHA) and make each one affect my character in some way so I have to choose my gear with thought and foresight

• 1778 posts
    July 7, 2015 12:24 PM PDT
    This was important in FFXI as well. Now dependingon your race and class your stats went up accordingly. But through stat based gear you could boost certain stats to achieve different effects. There would also be "hidden" effects from stats. For instance a melee weapon skill might be based off Dex but it might recieve a boost from mind if it was based on the element of light.

Suffice it to say my Ninja (depending on what I was doing) could utilize every stat to some degree with the exception of Charisma. Though a Ninja75/Beastmaster 37 would be near useless as no charms would stick. Not suggesting subjobs here just showcasing how XI made most stats useful for most classes. Especially the hybrid classes.
    • 753 posts
    July 8, 2015 9:58 AM PDT
    Sevens said:

In other games ive played each class had one stat that they just poured everything into and never gave a second thought to any others.

Give me lots of stats (STR DEX AGI CON WIS INT CHA) and make each one affect my character in some way so I have to choose my gear with thought and foresight

I agree - but think there needs to be a distinction on what "lots of stats" means - if you look at the stats page in some MMO's, there are upwards of 25 - 30 different stats present:  crit, multi-strike, hit, dodge, etc...

I would be much happier with a more conservative stat list (say 8 to 10) - where each one had meaning for your class in perhaps varied ways.  I think that the massive stat lists sought to alleviate confusion... that is "STR affects this, that, and the other" - by simply listing this, that, and the other as stats - but the sheer number of them becomes mind boggling.

• 610 posts
    July 8, 2015 12:26 PM PDT
    Wandidar said:
    Sevens said:

I agree - but think there needs to be a distinction on what "lots of stats" means - if you look at the stats page in some MMO's, there are upwards of 25 - 30 different stats present:  crit, multi-strike, hit, dodge, etc...

I would be much happier with a more conservative stat list (say 8 to 10) - where each one had meaning for your class in perhaps varied ways.  I think that the massive stat lists sought to alleviate confusion... that is "STR affects this, that, and the other" - by simply listing this, that, and the other as stats - but the sheer number of them becomes mind boggling.

Oh I agree, when I say lots I mean like I have listed. The trend it seems is to have four or maybe 5 stats total...I want (like you said) 8-10 and that would be perfect. Str should affect how much you can carry, and how hard you can hit with melee weapons. Int affects mana total and how hard your arcane powers hit...etc etc.

• 308 posts
    July 8, 2015 12:46 PM PDT

I like pet mechanics, classes that have pets are awesome!!! esp Necros.