Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Role-Playing!

• 9115 posts
    July 1, 2015 5:10 AM PDT

Roleplaying!

It's the capital R that is in between MMO and PG in MMORPG!

Which stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game

So, how seriously do you take your roleplaying? Let me know below and feel free to add a cool short story about roleplaying if you have one! I would love to hear them :)

https://www.facebook.com/pantheonrotf/posts/1668721446675722

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at July 1, 2015 5:10 AM PDT
    • 51 posts
    July 1, 2015 6:11 AM PDT

The more immersed I feel in a gaming world the more I naturally connect to the avatar that I am playing and take on that role. I haven't really found myself intentionally role-playing as much as just getting into the characters "style" of playing.

• 610 posts
    July 1, 2015 7:28 AM PDT
    Valith said:

The more immersed I feel in a gaming world the more I naturally connect to the avatar that I am playing and take on that role. I haven't really found myself intentionally role-playing as much as just getting into the characters "style" of playing.

I light RP, I usually roll on a RP server because the community is, on average, more mature. I dont care if a person RPs or not but I hate hate hate the immersion breaking names that I see constantly.

• 384 posts
    July 1, 2015 9:33 AM PDT
    Sevens said:

I light RP, I usually roll on a RP server because the community is, on average, more mature. I dont care if a person RPs or not but I hate hate hate the immersion breaking names that I see constantly.

Exactly to all of it! I'm not a huge role player myself but I appreciate and enjoy it when others do it. I do try to stay in character.

I also don't care for it when people are discussing real world stuff in a public channel.  I'm not in game to discuss politics or sports, I'm in game to get away from that. :)

This post was edited by Malsirian at July 1, 2015 5:03 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    July 1, 2015 6:02 PM PDT

I am light RP, I am good for a few clever charictarizations but mostly I try to be unoffensive and nice.

• 9115 posts
    July 1, 2015 6:29 PM PDT

Great answers guy's, I know RP isn;t everyones speciality but I think people RP more than they think, even something simple like riding along a path instead of cutting over the grass or field can be considered RP, as you are acting in a way that your character might in game.

I like hearing everyone stake on it though, it's really interesting whether they are a full RPer or even just switch into light RP actions like when talking to other players or NPCs (when no one is around to see it lol).

• 753 posts
    July 2, 2015 6:02 AM PDT

I'm not an RP'er - I do have great respect for folks who can pull it off and stay in character the whole time... especially folks who have RP'd themselves as things like brooding - but in a comical sort of way...  where they seem like they are moody, but keep you laughing.

That's just an example - the gist of it is that I admire folks who RP complex characters and stay in character - over folks who just change the way they talk in game and call it RP.... i.e. adding "thee", "dost", etc... and calling that RP.

• July 2, 2015 7:43 AM PDT

Bloodbeard was known at the gruff dwarf cleric who would say whatever came to mind.  :)

I enjoy a roleplaying, but in an MMORPG I am usually a light RPer because it is easier to communicate with everyone, non-rp'ers included.

I am in complete agreement with Sevens... Seeing ridiculous names whether crude, silly, or names already taken and modified in some way (Drizzzzttttttt, for example),  always stops me and smacks the immersion right out of me.

• 120 posts
    July 2, 2015 8:12 AM PDT
    I'm pretty much with Bloodbeard on this one. I really don't want to see names like "Smackyourface". Although, I always liked Fug D'Popo...

Yeah, thoses were actual names on Veeshan
    • 208 posts
    July 2, 2015 10:59 AM PDT

I tend to keep a light role-playing aspect in everything i do in MMORPGS.  I can get very involved depending upon the interaction with the group or individual that catches it.  I normally have some kind of RP themed Incoming message or Assist message if I am puller or Main Tank or Secondary Tank.  I try to make people laugh and enjoy themselves when in a group with me but not everyone likes my Rp efforts and that is fine but they normally like the xp/loot that is rolling in when grouped with my wife who normally plays a cleric and I will either be a Warrior or a Monk depending upon which class I enjoy more.

• 453 posts
    July 4, 2015 5:52 AM PDT

For me it depends on which character I am playing at the time. I may make a butt-ugly female troll female named Pretty Ugly and have fun role playing with her here and there. Usually on character I care most about though I am simply myself and the role I am playing is simply what is expected of me based on the class I am playing. 

• 753 posts
    July 5, 2015 5:07 AM PDT
    BloodbeardBattlecaster said:

Bloodbeard was known at the gruff dwarf cleric who would say whatever came to mind.  :)

I enjoy a roleplaying, but in an MMORPG I am usually a light RPer because it is easier to communicate with everyone, non-rp'ers included.

I am in complete agreement with Sevens... Seeing ridiculous names whether crude, silly, or names already taken and modified in some way (Drizzzzttttttt, for example),  always stops me and smacks the immersion right out of me.

Some people can name with imagination, some cannot.

Here's an example (Please don't steal!) - I have a gnome I don't play right now named "Snoggs Beetlebutt" in EQ.  To the casual observer, just a silly sort of gnome name.

"Snogging" is British slang for kissing... so - my gnome is named "Kisses Beetle butt"

• 753 posts
    July 5, 2015 5:14 AM PDT

Or another...

My Tauren Druid in WoW - "Chips"

A cow - named Chips.

I'll let you guys put that one together.

• 366 posts
    July 5, 2015 5:45 AM PDT

I see Role Playing as a spectrum - not black or white, because playing these games do evoke even a slight amount of RP  whether its an emote or a funny phrase your character will say.  Even though I would say I am on the very light end of the RP spectrum  (even when I used to play D&D pnp) I have to say I really have a lot of respect for avid Role Players - they just get so much more out of a game than any of us light/non RPers ever do. When content is devoured - its still "game on" for them because they create their own content. I have had a lot of great experiences with the RP community, they are usually a great group of people with a lot of respect for how others are treated.  I often like to roll on their servers because they have a great sense of community and their personalities and gameplay style are compatible with my guild's.

This post was edited by Zarriya at July 6, 2015 7:00 AM PDT