Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Battle Time!

• 9115 posts
    June 29, 2015 5:30 AM PDT

Battle time!

Melee vs Caster, Which one do you prefer and why?

Do you like the up close and personal approach or the firing off spells from a distance method, again, you can only pick one, go! ;)

https://www.facebook.com/pantheonrotf/posts/1668046960076504

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at June 29, 2015 6:49 PM PDT
    • 753 posts
    June 29, 2015 7:03 AM PDT

Historically this has been quite the debate for me.

When I was younger, I REALLY liked the idea of being a caster - but HATED not really being "in combat" - and so actually enjoyed melee more.  I'd TRY caster / ranged... and then usually flip to melee.

Getting a little older, I REALLY like the idea of being melee now - but find that I USUALLY perform better when I can do that which I hated when I was younger... keep combat out in front of me as a caster / ranged class.  I TRY melee... and then usually flip to ranged / caster.

• 49 posts
    June 29, 2015 7:08 AM PDT
    Ranged all the way! positioning and running in and out all the time get tiresome. Most melee classes get hosed that way :(
    • 384 posts
    June 29, 2015 8:34 AM PDT
    What? No hybrid option? But but.....Shadow Knight.

If I *have* to pick I guess I'd go to with caster. As a caster I feel like I generally have more options to choose from depending on the situation you're faced with than a melee class. Especially enjoy it if they also have some utility spells like underwater breathing and other non combat related fun spells.
    • 120 posts
    June 29, 2015 10:16 AM PDT

Really? You have to ask?
    • 87 posts
    June 29, 2015 11:58 AM PDT

Caster Ranged DPS

• 12 posts
    June 29, 2015 12:46 PM PDT

I've enjoyed playing both through the years. Unfortunately for many MMORPGs it is the developers that dictate which is more fun. Their use of changes to the current game (in the form of nerfs) in order to bring things into balance forces people to switch it up to stay competitive. Also certain bosses tend to be favorable to either range or melee. Rarely are they treated equal in raid encounters.

For example, I loved playing wizard and enchanter in EQ right up 'til Omens of War, then Enchanters got nerfed hard and casters couldn't land their nukes on raid targets so EQ became completely melee-centric until TSS and later. (My opinion) The one thing that recurs time and time again across big name MMORPGs is melee is always solid, range not so much.  

• 5 posts
    June 29, 2015 3:56 PM PDT

I love playing melee characters, especially tanks.  I think it takes the right kind of person to play a tank.  You need to be a leader,  know where you're going at all time, and have a knack at learning quickly on the fly.  There is nothing worse than a bad tank that's lost or doesn't understand the concept of holding agro.  But all tanks got to start some where.  Everyone remembers that nerve wracking time tanking there 1st dungeon, what a rush! 

• 288 posts
    June 29, 2015 4:05 PM PDT

Melee, avoidance tank for small groups as well as competitive dps.  I also love tanking, so I'd say melee across the board.  One of my quirks about Everquest that I didn't like was the fact that starting off as a melee was an incredibly hard journey, without friends to keep your items up to par you were generally behind everyone in usefulness, that is until you got to end game and got geared out, then everyone wanted you.

• 9115 posts
    June 29, 2015 4:14 PM PDT

Great answers guy's, keep them coming! :)

• 2138 posts
    June 29, 2015 6:48 PM PDT

Caster, but good at melee skills.

in EQ1 I learned the mage backwards, thinking the elemental was the "surprise, saving, big spell" so I would only cast it like if I was close to death and losing. As a result, all my melee and defensive skills were maxxed, I was rarely accused of overaggroing with DD spells because I would "dodge"-if I got aggro- heh. Except for hand to hand. On a raid in the demi-plane, the final boss was a fairly long and drawn out fight, and I asked the leader if I could spar with the boss since the tanks had such good aggro. They let me, which was nice and allowed me some skill ups. Neat thing was other casters wanted t do it too, so imagine like 10 robe wearers, casting, but in between casting spells, boxing with the boss- lol. Melee skills also allowed me to use weapons with effects, to have them proc more often if I was low, or out of mana.

• 724 posts
    June 30, 2015 2:20 AM PDT

I've always prefered ranged combat (as a caster). Easier to keep overview of the situation, you don't have to run after incoming (or fleeing) mobs, etc.

• 9115 posts
    June 30, 2015 2:43 AM PDT

We have a nice mix of both melee an caster in this thread, it's interesting hearing your explanations for why you prefer each type of gameplay :)

• 366 posts
    June 30, 2015 7:32 AM PDT

I prefer to have a character with magical abilities so t is usually ranged, not always though. Depends on the class.

• 1778 posts
    June 30, 2015 1:04 PM PDT
    If you are gonna make me choose one id say melee for tanking or for rogue CQC. Because I likr to get in the mobs face and im kinda anti nuker.

That being said I still like ranged classes for physical dps and crowd control. As well as hybrid classes which can be very interesting. Like a front line melee healer. Or a DPS class that uses debuffing magic.

Buy yes when forced Id say melee.