Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Attention to Details!

• 9115 posts
    June 26, 2015 5:55 AM PDT

Attention to Details!

Players who participate in MMORPGs are usually also able to pay attention to details. Role-playing games usually require a good sense of detail when participating in a group/raid or any difficult event. Gamers must monitor their health bar, mana bar, and even cool-down timers on their abilities and skill sets.

Is this true for you and are there any other skills you think you have learned that help you while playing MMORPGs or in your day to day duties?

https://www.facebook.com/pantheonrotf/posts/1667066696841197 

• 753 posts
    June 26, 2015 6:31 AM PDT

I actually find my attention to detail is tied to how well the game invests me in my avatar - and how much the game gives me to do with that avatar.  So for example, I had a very high attention to detail in EQ.  I played one avatar for over 5 years.  There was always more to do and learn with that avatar - and so, over time, my attention to minutia within the game increased.

In WoW, I was tied to my first character... but running out of content caused me to create many alts.  With each alt, my attention to detail decreased.  I may or may not be common in that regard - as I suspect other folks play alts and feel the need to delve deeply into it to learn that avatar... but there just never seemed to be enough reason to do so for me in that game. 

I have had similar experiences with other games.

• 366 posts
    June 26, 2015 8:17 AM PDT

Attention to detail is an enriching part of an MMO, especially for players that put a lot of time into playing.  Most of "us" on these forums are players with large amounts of playtime and a desired interest in the game when compared to the average gaming community. The little details keep "us" engaged in the game, while our counterparts with less playing time can skip these details to little detriment to the way they play. 

Kilsin, you mentioned player mechanics as an attention to detail and I completely agree.  I spend a large amount of time trying to figure out how to squeeze the most out of my character's battle ability as best as I can.  I will also mention other "details that help me become entrenched in my game. 

* obscure ways to get better gear (or anything to increase your stats , datachrons for example)- through quest lines (epic weapon quests of EQ/Eq2), exploration or mob grinding.

*obscure ways to get non battle (fluff ) items such as mounts, cosmetic pets/gear/ titles.

*Fights that require attention to detail - know clues when an attack will happen or a condition must be made to a fight (ie debuff or pull a lever) or there is a wipe. Need to know or figure out battle mechanics for a win.

*enriching story content, while skipped by many are appreciated by others.

*Terrain that is vast and varied - that is enjoyable and rewarding to explore (ie boating in Archeage- the vast world of Minecraft).

* Fewer, more quality, quests or tasks.  Ones that are not just kill 10 rats (that could easily be found with a "quest helper") but ones that require thought to find and complete, a puzzle almost.  If you do not read it  - you wont know how to do it  :D

* Content  (not battle) that we are able to solo while we are are not able to or are waiting to group.  Examples are housing, boating, farming, crafting, gathering, fishing, diplomacy and minigames that keep us engaged in our MMO. Anything to keep it a vibrant, living and breathing world for us to stay engaged in.

A game that contains "attention to details" is a mark of a high quality game imho. TERA had amazing combat and I love En Masse, however it lacked most of these details, and I did not play it long because of that.  Leaving wet footprints on the ground after I exit my hot tub in FFXIV, justs make me smile and appreciate all the thought and effort that goes into building a quality MMO.

This post was edited by Zarriya at June 26, 2015 8:40 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    June 26, 2015 8:44 AM PDT

Both great answers and great detail, the number of lessons, skills and management learned from playing an MMORPG is pretty amazing when you think about it.

• 154 posts
    June 26, 2015 9:51 AM PDT

Honestly attention to detail was not something I did much when I played MMORPGs. Most of the times I really enjoyed the social aspect, combined with the escapism of a new world. I was never a very "good" player and did not find new quest or engaged in end game content but I wandered a lot and just enjoyed it.

One thing that EQ helped me a ton with in my daily life was typing. I was terrible at typing until I started playing EQ and then I had to type a lot and quickly to communicate to my group when I was playing. It also was the first time where I took my eyes off the keyboard to type because I had too. Its a pretty mundane skill but I guess when you think about it, adjoining that was spelling better so people could understand what you are saying and just written communication in general.

• 67 posts
    June 26, 2015 9:52 AM PDT

I started playing MMORPGs when I was like 12, pretty sure EQ2 and Runescape were some of my first MMOs followed by VG.  I was young, and I felt my ability to watch cooldowns, healthbars, and to execute my abilities and rotations were really good.  Where I did learn attention to detail was through communication, both through VoIP and typing/text chat.  The importance of communicating something in a quick and efficient manner and in a friendly cooperative way made a huge difference when it came to grouping and raiding.  

People's skill levels can vary, so when you're asking/telling each other to do something in a group or raid, you may only have a split second to make a call.  It needs to be the right call, at the right time, with little space for misinterpretation.  Owning up to mistakes is also brutally important when communicating, otherwise people start blaming each other and everyone starts to play the blame game.

There is one skill I learned, actually in Runescape, that people IRL notice all the time.  Typing!!  I remember in the old Runescape days, when everyone was in banks trying to sell or buy goods.  If you wanted to be noticed you had to type fast, and you had to find ways to make your text stand out if possible.  Boy did I suck at typing at first, and it was hella hard to sell my goods.  It was like 1 line per 30sec/min.  I kept practicing and practicing, and after a couple months I was typing faster than my mom (she types medical transcriptions).  To this day I average around 90 words a minute. 

• 2138 posts
    June 26, 2015 7:51 PM PDT

MMO's Improved my organizational skills, although some criticize the so-called "inventory management mini-game" because of the length of time one stared at their bags (45min!) It helped me in the organizational thought process- like numerous "bug-out" bags I could grab one in an instant for what I needed or wanted to do. Additonally the multi-sources of information venues and discernment over those sources- Group chat, raid chat, bazzar chat, general chat, class chat, world chat, personal tells on the periphery of playing the game helped me at work. I get lots of emails, we have chats, phone calls, I don't get phased when someone sends me an email, a chat, and calls for the same issue because it's "urgent"- to them. It also improved my PC skills, in appreciating the short-cuts available in that; the pleasure derived from discovering a short-cut in a neat game, had me benevolently predisposed to appreciate the excel shortcut in RL or work. 

• 453 posts
    June 28, 2015 6:07 AM PDT

It's true, when I played EQ and VG lots of things I enjoyed close attention to detail. Mostly when creating characters, getting their look just right and also when raiding as to make sure I didn't get people killed. In real life though I am not sure if it has crossed over or not since I have always had a strong work ethic IRL . However, I will say that since playing tons of MMOs I see abbreviations all over in real life and instead reading them as they were meant to be read I first think of the gaming meaning.

Some examples would be seeing a BP gas station and I immediately think breastplate . I have been in circles where MQ means misquote but I of course firstly think of "multi-quest"  LOL. I saw some "ES-gloves" at the store and thought to myself "yay, elder spiritist "  . I have tons of other examples but that sort of thing happens to me all the time . 

• 753 posts
    June 28, 2015 6:11 AM PDT
    Jason said:

It's true, when I played EQ and VG lots of things I enjoyed close attention to detail. Mostly when creating characters, getting their look just right and also when raiding as to make sure I didn't get people killed. In real life though I am not sure if it has crossed over or not since I have always had a strong work ethic IRL . However, I will say that since playing tons of MMOs I see abbreviations all over in real life and instead reading them as they were meant to be read I first think of the gaming meaning.

Some examples would be seeing a BP gas station and I immediately think breastplate . I have been in circles where MQ means misquote but I of course firstly think of "multi-quest"  LOL. I saw some "ES-gloves" at the store and thought to myself "yay, elder spiritist "  . I have tons of other examples but that sort of thing happens to me all the time . 

LOL - I've done that. Worse - using your example (and this has happened to me ONCE) is when someone says ES-gloves... what does ES stand for?  And you blurt out "Elder Spiritist!"