Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Identical First Names

• 6 posts
    February 21, 2017 10:50 PM PST

Saicred said:

I mean I get most don't want their Alts to have the same name, but I'm one who does. Everyone knows me as Saicred and even on my alts everyone calls me Saicred still unless then don't know me then I have to tell them "I'm Saicred"... Why not just make it a thing where we can choose to use an Account Handle vs Individual Character Names if we want :) - Doesn't mean everyone has to use it, and it could be optional. 

You could also just name your alts aptly, like SaicredDuex and SaicredTrois lol

• 13 posts
    February 22, 2017 12:31 AM PST

One feature Vanguard had which I found very helpful, was the ability to set an alias for a name. 

so people who like those alphabet soup names can be shortened. /alias Ijililagha igi  /tell igi  would work. 

the alias' were saved to a text file on the client. 

• 10 posts
    February 22, 2017 2:45 AM PST

Unique first names preferred here also. I think this is really important from a reputation standpoint also, it makes everyone more memorable and makes you feel unique as an individual within the world imo. People will get over it if they can’t get a name they want and they will make a new one and make it theirs, I’ve done this several times in MMOs whenever I didn’t get the name I wanted.

I also wouldn’t want to have a surname and I know some other players that would be in the same boat as me. Optional surname is the way to go. Just got to make sure a name policy is stipulated and then CS won’t have to worry much about how to respond.

• 626 posts
    February 22, 2017 7:00 AM PST

droxxodia said:

Thats so true Droxxodialolhahajk! Are you the real Droxxodia or just a random person with almost the same name? Because word is that DroxxodiaAlt is a KSer and stole raid loot. Is that you?

My point is I plain to make as positive of a Rep as I can across the world of Pantheon. I wouldn't mind that Rep following me from Character to character by showing I am the Saicred. Sure others could make SaicredDuex, but unless the character was Saicred you would know it wasn't me. With Pantheon pushing for people to use the Progeny and Mentor system I assume this means many of us will have alts and such, and I'd just like a way to confirm my alt is my alt is all. Just my way of thinking. Honestly though VR will do as they please with this, and I'll work with whatever the come out with. Just stating the fact that I and maybe I alone would love to just have one name shown across all my Characters, but know this may not be possible. 

• 308 posts
    February 22, 2017 7:02 AM PST

Grimmier said:

One feature Vanguard had which I found very helpful, was the ability to set an alias for a name. 

so people who like those alphabet soup names can be shortened. /alias Ijililagha igi  /tell igi  would work. 

the alias' were saved to a text file on the client. 

I really like this idea!

• 3 posts
    February 22, 2017 8:53 AM PST

I'd prefer to have unique first names with an optional/non-unique last name depending on how they implement this Progeny System.

On the topic of titles, I'm not a fan of seeing a crap load of text over someone's head. Last thing I want is to try and decipher is Journeyman Fisherman Elm'ad'uis Quealdskel the Killer of Halflings {Legions of the Twilight Whales of Endor} in order to send them a tell. I've found that most game's "title" systems to add little to no value to me. Hopefully there will be options to turn this off to only display first name and guild, because 99% of the time that's all I care about.

This post was edited by Erechtheus at February 22, 2017 8:54 AM PST
    • 86 posts
    March 1, 2017 5:32 AM PST

Hi All - first post here, just did my pledge yesterday!

I've seen pretty much all the naming conventions across games - the unique first name only, the unique first and common second, etc.

Personally I like the way FFXIV did it, the best. By a long way. Unique first name/second name combo. This actually adds a tiny bit to sense of community - I found it quite fun to come across someone with the same first name, or run across a 'long lost sibling' with the same surname. Instant ice breaker.

I actually find unique first names highly frustrating. It's great when you sign up for Alpha and get to reserve you name - but then if you need / want to create an alt several months in.. then - in the last 15 years - my consistent experience is I end up spending a solid day trying to come up with names that I like and find that they've all been taken. And I can see the same frustration in the newer online community when I see that people have come up with all sorts of ways to phonetically re-create the name they want. Eg. Eowyn, Eowhyn, Eowhynne, Aowen - etc. etc. The way Vanguard did it just added a problem. First you can't have the first name you actually want.. THEN you have to come up with a surname that fits, which is also not what you want because it has to sound OK with the name you've had to choose.

Names are important to me - as we all know you spend a long time with your character - I want mine to look 'just' how I like and be called 'just' what I want. It's a strong part of what binds me to my characters and makes me want to play them. I don't want to be always be playing Zorgarath because I couldn't get Starshine, or whatever. AoC frustrated me I think the most - pick from a small number of faces none of which you like, then find a name you don't really like either but you're so frustrated that all the good names have gone that you just pick any name just to play the effing game. Reminded of this every time I logged in. Actually contributed to me having less tolerance about other aspects of the game and made it easier to quit.

Contrast that with my FFXIV experience - got the pre-release character editor, spent ages getting *exactly* the look I wanted, and got *exactly* the name I wanted. AND not have to bother with the same process for 'alts' because you just change jobs on ONE character. Truly excellent. All of the characters I've had in any MMO, I want to go back to that one the most.

(as an aside, also with the one character thing you don't have to maintain a mental database of all the mains and alts in the guild to figure out who's actually online; and Rep doesn't have to follow you anywhere.)

In FFXIV you don't have to type in titles to /w (or /t) anyone, you do have to type in first name and second name - but I think the Alias system that someone posted earlier in the thread takes care of that - - also an MS Outlook like autocomplete to make it quicker - also being able to right click on a name in chat or friends list to call up a 'send tell' context menu. I think this is a small enough price to pay to let people have the names that they want.

I agree with titles. they're fun but they can get a little silly, especialy if the text on the nameplate is a large font (they look a little big and bit of an ugly font in the vids I've seen so far).

This post was edited by Idrial at March 1, 2017 7:05 AM PST
    • 187 posts
    March 1, 2017 7:42 AM PST

Saicred said:

droxxodia said:

Thats so true Droxxodialolhahajk! Are you the real Droxxodia or just a random person with almost the same name? Because word is that DroxxodiaAlt is a KSer and stole raid loot. Is that you?

My point is I plain to make as positive of a Rep as I can across the world of Pantheon. I wouldn't mind that Rep following me from Character to character by showing I am the Saicred. Sure others could make SaicredDuex, but unless the character was Saicred you would know it wasn't me. With Pantheon pushing for people to use the Progeny and Mentor system I assume this means many of us will have alts and such, and I'd just like a way to confirm my alt is my alt is all. Just my way of thinking. Honestly though VR will do as they please with this, and I'll work with whatever the come out with. Just stating the fact that I and maybe I alone would love to just have one name shown across all my Characters, but know this may not be possible. 

If they make first (and/or last) names unique, then they could include the option for you to name your own personal account as you wish. They could exclude same account characters from the inability to use names on that account. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

That way, I can have my 5 alts with their individual names and you could have your 5 all with your one name.

• 769 posts
    March 1, 2017 1:03 PM PST

Fine, but if this means I have to /tell name just to talk to an individual person, and they're name has a bazillion different friggin' characters, I'm coming for you, Dev team.

And if you're that person, I hate you.

• 22 posts
    March 5, 2017 1:36 AM PST
    I'm a unique man, I'm a unique player, I'll play unique toons, my game style will be my own unique way, I want my own unique name. As I mentioned before, I'm paying hard earned money at this point to reserve my unique name and help back the VR team but if that's tossed out the window at launch I'm sure myself and many others will be a little upset to put it lightly!

Ogee
    • 187 posts
    March 5, 2017 6:02 AM PST

Tralyan said:

Fine, but if this means I have to /tell name just to talk to an individual person, and they're name has a bazillion different friggin' characters, I'm coming for you, Dev team.

And if you're that person, I hate you.

Some of us do that on purpose. In early EQ, you couldn't often tell the difference between N, M, and R in lowercase. I re-rolled my enchanter after a while, to Nimmanu, specifically so people couldn't figure her name out and annoy me all danged day long to "come to my group and KEI us, we'll pay!". Listen, I'm in a group right now. "Yeah, but we're PAYING!" ...... Yeah, and I'm saying no, because I'm in a group. "You're an (&$A*&#!! All we wanted was for you to get a port, come to another continent, run through 3 dangerous zones, and KEI us for 20 plat, and you won't, because you're mean and horrible!"

Riiiiight.

So yeah. While it might annoy you, and even sometimes me, it actually helped me avoid a lot of incredible aggravation from people who thought that being a druid, enchanter, cleric meant I was somehow obligated to drop everything and run to them and help them for their lousy 20 plat when the journey would cost me upwards of 100 pp. There are upsides and downsides to the "what the heck was that name again??" coin. :p

• 3016 posts
    March 5, 2017 8:22 AM PST

Just make it so you can right click someone's name in chat to send a tell or a group invite..right click brings a small dropdown menu with choices, invite, tell, block, ignore or whatever as examples.   That way if someone's name is spelled  " &$#^%&))(&%"   you can still get hold of them.  :P

• 3852 posts
    March 5, 2017 3:29 PM PST

If that is someon'es name a dropdown menu IS a good way to communicate with them. A dropdown ignore is even more important with names like that.

• 399 posts
    March 5, 2017 8:49 PM PST

I have an idea that would solve a few things. check below

but first, I like having a unique first name and an earned last name.  By server only. 

If you wanted, you could reserve "your" name by creating a character with that name on each server.

in case of server mergers, oldest gets it, next will get an x after the name with the option to have a free name change. (Token to be awarded in this case)

much like eq1 did it.

heres my idea

allow the user a flag to indicate one of the characters as main and the rest as alts. But thinking more of the progeny system, allow each character to specify the relationship to another. Like so:

Main: Durp

---Alt1: LilDurpa (Durp's daughter)

---Alt2: LilDurp (Durp's son)

Alt3: Derp (Durp's brother)

Alt4:  Derpa (Durp's Sister)

etc.

Each player has the option to build a familiy tree.  (Or not) This family tree is available for all to see (Via inspect) This will solve the problem of griefers but will still allow some sense of privacy for people to play their alt without people looking for the main (until of course people get to know whose alt is whose, which will happen eventually anyway...)

Durp's 2c

• 6 posts
    March 6, 2017 5:19 AM PST
    Still playing EverQuest here, trying to think of of a first name in this game is about the hardest thing you can do since everything is taken. Even names on the random name generator get rejected.
    • 187 posts
    March 6, 2017 7:07 AM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Just make it so you can right click someone's name in chat to send a tell or a group invite..right click brings a small dropdown menu with choices, invite, tell, block, ignore or whatever as examples.   That way if someone's name is spelled  " &$#^%&))(&%"   you can still get hold of them.  :P

I don't like this unless it's in-zone only (and even then only for concession's sake). 

While there are many illegitimate reasons to not want people to be able to contact you despite your best attempts to stave it off... there are legitimate reasons to not want people to be able to pester you nonstop. Worse still from 5 zones away because they want a free Rez that will cost you port costs.

If this HAS to be done, then in zone only, please and thank you.

This post was edited by Amris at March 6, 2017 7:08 AM PST
    • 3852 posts
    March 6, 2017 8:03 AM PST

>Still playing EverQuest here, trying to think of of a first name in this game is about the hardest thing you can do since everything is taken. Even names on the random name generator get rejected<

There is much truth to this in any well established MMO, and I've bounced around quite a lot because none of them is all that good. More than once I've gotten past my first 10 names before getting one - fortunately my list of names I've used before is a LOT longer than 10 and I am quite willing to create new ones. But I feel the pain of people that are used to one or two or three names, or a preferred name for each type of class, and simply can't get it. I can get by with my 15th choice but I would be happier getting one higher on my list.

Gods willing Pantheon will also become a well established game in the fullness of time. If it doesn't adopt a system that makes it easy to get desired first names (such as FFXIV or Neverwinter) I hope it adopts a system that provides for recycling - I am very "green" when it comes to names. Accounts that aren't paying and haven't been played for a while should have names go into the pool of available names.

• 3016 posts
    March 6, 2017 10:09 AM PST

Amris said:

CanadinaXegony said:

I don't like this unless it's in-zone only (and even then only for concession's sake). 

While there are many illegitimate reasons to not want people to be able to contact you despite your best attempts to stave it off... there are legitimate reasons to not want people to be able to pester you nonstop. Worse still from 5 zones away because they want a free Rez that will cost you port costs.

If this HAS to be done, then in zone only, please and thank you.

I hear you,   I played a wizard (ports)  my day was always interrupted for port requests.    If I remember right, going anonymous,  solved some of the more far reaching requests, that required a long trek somewhere on the other side of the world to pick people up.  :)    My porting services were done on a donation basis.   Never cited a specific fee.        Cana

• 1584 posts
    March 9, 2017 10:38 AM PST

Yeah I'd like first names to be unique, last thing I'd want it is someone to act like they are me with there name, than start trolling others or aomething like that, granted after time they might know that it isn't me or someone in my guild to mention it not and eveything, but before that the damage is done and people might of alrdy ignored me, passively just ignore my lfg messages or anything like that just because of some confusion of someone else's doing.

This post was edited by Cealtric at March 9, 2017 10:40 AM PST
    • 86 posts
    March 9, 2017 12:43 PM PST

Riahuf22 said:

Yeah I'd like first names to be unique, last thing I'd want it is someone to act like they are me with there name, than start trolling others or aomething like that, granted after time they might know that it isn't me or someone in my guild to mention it not and eveything, but before that the damage is done and people might of alrdy ignored me, passively just ignore my lfg messages or anything like that just because of some confusion of someone else's doing.

I don't get the unique first name requirement here. FFXIV in chat and messaging you are identified as both first and second name so even if someone else has your first name then they can't troll as you.

unique first / second name combo; identified as both; alias system as described above; right click context menus to assist quick messaging; perhaps also an Outlook style auto-complete. Everyone can be happy - new joiners to the game a year after launch won't have to have stupid names because all the 'good' ones are taken; job done.

• 1618 posts
    March 9, 2017 2:36 PM PST

Idrial said:

Riahuf22 said:

I don't get the unique first name requirement here. FFXIV in chat and messaging you are identified as both first and second name so even if someone else has your first name then they can't troll as you.

unique first / second name combo; identified as both; alias system as described above; right click context menus to assist quick messaging; perhaps also an Outlook style auto-complete. Everyone can be happy - new joiners to the game a year after launch won't have to have stupid names because all the 'good' ones are taken; job done.

All fine and dandy as long as you don't care about your reputation. With first and last names together, you get this.

I spend a year building up a great Reputation with three characters with the names:

Beefcake Dire Lord

Beefcake Necro

Beefcake Cleric

Then, because first names are not unique, some ****** creates Beefcake Paladin and wanders around the game being a complete ******.

Who you think the average player thinks the ****** is, my Beefcake characters. Now my rep is ruined and I can't get a group.

That is why first names matter.

• 86 posts
    March 10, 2017 6:17 AM PST

All fine and dandy as long as you don't care about your reputation. With first and last names together, you get this.

I spend a year building up a great Reputation with three characters with the names:

Beefcake Dire Lord

Beefcake Necro

Beefcake Cleric

Then, because first names are not unique, some ****** creates Beefcake Paladin and wanders around the game being a complete ******.

Who you think the average player thinks the ****** is, my Beefcake characters. Now my rep is ruined and I can't get a group.

Got it, thanks. This wasn't a problem on FFXIV because you didn't need alts, just switched jobs (best system in any game); but I understand where you're coming from now. Can't resist a quick tease wondering why you didn't just grab all the beefcakes to begin with if that's how the system worked (you did rather leave the door wide open for douchehead there to rain on your parade)... and was your account name Weightgain 4000? ;)

So the presumption here about 'unique' first names is that they're unique to the account, not the character? - otherwise you'd only be able to have one toon with the first name Beefcake - and I think this is the case for most games (wow, Rift, AOC etc). Interesting - I would instinctively go to collectively identify my alts with last name. Bit more RP that way as each of my characters would be different races/genders etc. with names to fit.

This post was edited by Idrial at March 10, 2017 6:18 AM PST
    • 142 posts
    March 10, 2017 6:33 AM PST

Idrial said:

Beefcake Dire Lord

Beefcake Necro

Beefcake Cleric

Got it, thanks. This wasn't a problem on FFXIV because you didn't need alts, just switched jobs (best system in any game); but I understand where you're coming from now. Can't resist a quick tease wondering why you didn't just grab all the beefcakes to begin with if that's how the system worked (you did rather leave the door wide open for douchehead there to rain on your parade)... and was your account name Weightgain 4000? ;)

So the presumption here about 'unique' first names is that they're unique to the account, not the character? - otherwise you'd only be able to have one toon with the first name Beefcake - and I think this is the case for most games (wow, Rift, AOC etc). Interesting - I would instinctively go to collectively identify my alts with last name. Bit more RP that way as each of my characters would be different races/genders etc. with names to fit.

A unique first name means that there can only be one Beefcake on the server. Beefcake cannot use Beefcake for his alts. There is only one Beefcake. Beefcake was using the multiple Beefcakes as an example of what could happen to ruin Beefcakes reputation by allowing multiple uses of Beefcake. And I think we can all agree, that one Beefcake is already one too many Beefcakes for the world of Terminus to handle.

One Beefcake to rule them all!

• 107 posts
    March 10, 2017 6:35 AM PST

Unique first name + same surname is my vote.  1 Legolas is more than enough for me. I don't want to see 1000 people with the same first name lol.

• 86 posts
    March 10, 2017 7:11 AM PST

Homercles said:

Idrial said:

Beefcake Dire Lord

Beefcake Necro

Beefcake Cleric

And I think we can all agree, that one Beefcake is already one too many Beefcakes for the world of Terminus to handle.

One Beefcake to rule them all!

lol, indeed. I wonder if there will be a bobble hat in the costumes.... Curiously I never saw any problems on FFXIV with their system - everyone seemed to know generally who people were; and I quite liked coming across namkesakes and siblings. Started a few conversations and broke the ice.