Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

South Florida Peeps..

• 208 posts
    April 15, 2015 1:07 PM PDT

Hiyas folks!  How is everyone doing?  I know I have been silent/watching/lurking for a while and I will continue to do so until there is a reason for me to become active.  Anyways, I and the missus will be going to Fort Lauderdale in August and we are wanting to know some great places to eat at and visit?  We are also wondering what areas of the City we should avoid?  We will be staying near the airport but we are at least going to be in Florida :)  I don't know how many supporters there are in Ft Lauderdale but we would not be opposed to getting together for a meal or some sight seeing if there are others that want to.  Anyways, thanks for your help and hope that you have a great journey! :)

• 308 posts
    April 15, 2015 1:27 PM PDT

If you don't have one in your area already, Pollo Tropical, http://pollotropical.com, is one of my favorite places to hit when go to South Florida.  It's a Caribbean chain known for marinated and grilled chicken with Caribbean and Hispanic sides.

• 63 posts
    April 15, 2015 1:28 PM PDT

I am on the other coast of Florida, so I can't offer too much advice on sites to see. I am not a fan of Ft. Lauderdale, but you may be able to search for some nice sites near by. St. Augustine is a bit ways north, and then you have Miami right under you. There probably is some nice pockets in Ft. Lauderdale to explore, maybe some nice beaches as well.

• 308 posts
    April 15, 2015 1:43 PM PDT

If you have time, check out South Beach.  Las Olas Bvld and the Riverwalk in Ft. Lauderdale are quite nice and have a bunch of restaurants and shops (for the missus).  You can do something like the Jungle Queen boat tour, it's like a 2 hour cruise around Ft. Lauderdales waterways (get to see Millionaire's Row) and the outskirts of the everglades.  There is a sea aquarium if you are into marine bio.  I left the area in the 90s so really can't speak to the places to avoid.

http://travel.usnews.com/Fort_Lauderdale_FL/Things_To_Do/ has some options too.

This post was edited by Reht at April 15, 2015 1:45 PM PDT
    • VR Staff
    • 102 posts
    April 15, 2015 3:09 PM PDT
    I'm in North Florida so I'd pretty much echo what Monty said. Ft Lauderdale metro is much different than the beach area which has more trendy type restaurants on the ocean or intracoastal. If there's any chance you'd have time to go to St. Augustine (about 3 hr drive north or so) it's really great history if you've never been. Lots of great eating there too :)
    • 163 posts
    April 15, 2015 3:19 PM PDT

I'm in Orlando, but even I enjoy visiting St. Augustine! It is our oldest city! Ft. Lauderdale doesn't really offer much appeal that I am aware of. Enjoy your trip!

• 308 posts
    April 15, 2015 3:52 PM PDT

Where in North Florida?  I am in Tallahassee

• VR Staff
    • 102 posts
    April 15, 2015 4:57 PM PDT
    Reht said:

The First Coast, lol. I'm in Jax. Lots of Floridians around these forums :)
    This post was edited by BlueEyedGator at April 15, 2015 4:58 PM PDT
    • 308 posts
    April 15, 2015 5:23 PM PDT
    BlueEyedGator said:
    Reht said:

I have come across more gamers from Jax than anywhere else in FL from all the games i have played over the last 15 year, which surprised me.  I was thinking it would be Miami or Orlando.

• 76 posts
    April 15, 2015 6:48 PM PDT

I'm also on the west coast. It creeps out Monty.

• VR Staff
    • 102 posts
    April 16, 2015 4:36 AM PDT
    Reht said:
    BlueEyedGator said:
    Reht said:

I have come across more gamers from Jax than anywhere else in FL from all the games i have played over the last 15 year, which surprised me.  I was thinking it would be Miami or Orlando.

I have to agree....I know one or two on these forums from here too. It's kinda cool, yet like Aerolia said, creepy. The person you're talking to could end up being your neighbor. I think Orlando is so much more transient to have many gamers and Miami too cool. We're the land of the bored, lol.
    This post was edited by BlueEyedGator at April 16, 2015 4:39 AM PDT
    • 23 posts
    April 17, 2015 11:45 AM PDT

I am in Central Fla, lakeland...between Tampa and Orlando.

I was in Ft Lauderdale at the end of March to board a cruise line destination... Haiti and Jamaca :)

I didnt get to see alot of Ft Lauderdale, but what I did see was alot of highway travel, big airport and lots of bridges.

Hope you have fun and see more then I got to.

This post was edited by Borneheld at April 17, 2015 5:34 PM PDT
    • 44 posts
    June 2, 2015 7:02 PM PDT

HI there.  This is so random - South Florida in a gaming forum.

I realize this post is old but I thought I'd give my two cents, anyway.  Since you did say August and it is now only June.

I lived in east Fort Lauderdale for 4 years and now live in east Delray Beach.  You have a lot of options - but you'll need to bring your wallet. ;)

If you are staying at the airport, then you will be near Griffin Rd. which doesn't have much of anything -- however, there is a great Irish bar and restaurant there called The Field.  They have live Celtic music at night and a lot of locals, with a decent menu (and yes a lot of non-locals, like all of Southeast Florida.)  Say hello to the bartender - Keith.  He's there most nights.

However to really experience Fort Lauderdale, you should go to A1A (the drive along the ocean is worth it if you do nothing else) and check out a few of the hotel spots.  S3 at the Hilton is popular and relatively new.  There are a bunch of other places along A1A that run the gamut from college dive bar to upscale.

If you want a bit more of a scene -- okay a LOT more of a scene -- then head to Las Olas and visit Johnny V's, Yolo, Lobster Bar, or the Royal Pig.  For a more reasonable price (relatively speaking) you can check out Rocco's Tacos on East Las Olas.  There's also several other spots on Las Olas.

The best sushi in South Florida (really) is on Wilton Drive in Oakland Park/Wilton Manors at a small place run by a Japanese family, it's called Sozo.  Say hi to Mo and Kyoko. :)

In Lauderdale-by-the-Sea you can check out Aruba for laid back island vibes. Just west of there on E. Commercial there is a spot called Kaluz (sit at the outside bar, for sure.  Right on the intracoastal waterway) -- and if you just want a nice dive sports bar with great service, check out Hott Leggz on Commerical.  for the ultimate dive experience, but with a lot of character, check out the most authentic Brit pub in SFL, Fox and Hounds on Dixie Hwy. just south of Commerical, and say hi to Robbie or Anne Marie.

If you really want to go crazy you can head to Miami and go to the Fountainbleu hotel and eat at the Chinese place there, Hakkasan.  Be forewarned it's extremely pricey.  Like most of South Florida, people go out to see and be seen - and pay lots of money to do so. ;)

If you want to go north, you can come to my neck of the woods in Delray Beach.  East Atlantic Avenue has just about everything under the sun, from burger joints to some of the most upscale gastropubs.  Our favorites are DaDa (like the art movement) Park Tavern (smoked old fashioned is the bomb), 3rd & 3rd (say hi to Jason), and the Blue Anchor (British pub).

I could go on.  That's probably a good list.

As for what to AVOID?  Anything west.  It's just a big urban/suburban sprawl.  And also avoid Hialeah if you head south.

This post was edited by Merrick at June 2, 2015 7:03 PM PDT