Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Anyone tinkering with the Unity engine?

• 163 posts
    March 10, 2015 7:02 PM PDT
    Its really so sweet! I got the unity engine today. You can go pro for only $1,500, which is pretty neat seeing how powerful this software is. I've been building in it all day along side blender 3d for my cave modeling and such. Much respect to some of the world builders using it to its full capacity.

Anyone else playing around with it? Id love to see what you've made!
    • 38 posts
    March 10, 2015 7:40 PM PDT

Did you go pro? If so, why did you spend $1,500 on it

This post was edited by Vortikai at March 10, 2015 7:40 PM PDT
    • 671 posts
    March 10, 2015 9:26 PM PDT

After watching Monti for many hours, I am currently building some new rigs.  ; ]

• 163 posts
    March 10, 2015 11:23 PM PDT
    No, I didn't go pro, personally. I think the major advantage to pro is licensing which isn't neccessary for my use. But for any studio to use, it seems very reasonable.

Heiromonk, that's awesome. Did you watch him on youtube somewhere or in person?
    • 3016 posts
    March 11, 2015 12:07 AM PDT
    Gadgets said:
    No, I didn't go pro, personally. I think the major advantage to pro is licensing which isn't neccessary for my use. But for any studio to use, it seems very reasonable. Heiromonk, that's awesome. Did you watch him on youtube somewhere or in person?

Montreseur is back streaming on Twitch again lately...he does some long hours,  always fascinated watching what he does.  :)  

Cana

• 9115 posts
    March 11, 2015 3:01 AM PDT
    Gadgets said:
    No, I didn't go pro, personally. I think the major advantage to pro is licensing which isn't neccessary for my use. But for any studio to use, it seems very reasonable. Heiromonk, that's awesome. Did you watch him on youtube somewhere or in person?

Monty has started streaming more often these days and has some really great streams of building/sculpting two weapons and some zones, you can check him out at the link below (when he is online).

http://www.twitch.tv/montreseur

He
    usually tweets it out (or Joppa/myself do it for him) and someone usually posts in his Dev journal, so keep an eye out mate.

• 63 posts
    March 11, 2015 7:44 AM PDT

Going live now for a bit to sculpt some rock formations. twitch.tv/montreseur

• 163 posts
    March 11, 2015 12:54 PM PDT

Fun stuff, Monty. Enjoyed watching your stream and seeing the efforts you put into it.

I am spending my day playing with unity, trying to learn terrain and texturing. Unity alone is like playing a game for me (since I'm into Wurm Online, it's fitting)

My first take at creating a scene

This post was edited by Gadgets at March 12, 2015 7:44 AM PDT
    • 63 posts
    March 11, 2015 2:27 PM PDT

Looking good man, keep at it.

• 63 posts
    March 11, 2015 7:08 PM PDT

Live now- twitch.tv/montreseur

• 201 posts
    March 12, 2015 5:25 AM PDT

I have also been tinkering with Unity.  Trying to get some prototyping down for some ideas.  A lot to take in.   As for being good for devs, it depends on your budget and the size of your team.  For a very small team, it's not bad with unity 5 because they released all the engine features for the free version.  Granted you miss out on a few important tools but i guess there are always beta testers for that.

• 163 posts
    March 12, 2015 5:52 PM PDT

Got my Unity/Blender on a little bit more today. Working on this little ruins scene. Not yet going for quality and detail, I'm just experimenting and trying to learn some things.

I am running into issues with blender, trying to export objects with painted textures. Can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyone with any tips?

This post was edited by Gadgets at March 12, 2015 5:53 PM PDT
    • 163 posts
    March 13, 2015 2:49 PM PDT

Another fun day in unity. Learned a little more with textures and some water stuff!

This post was edited by Gadgets at March 13, 2015 11:25 PM PDT