Gnobrin (EQ2)

Noah W. (H1Z1 - web)

Felgon (Landmark)

Moorguard (?)

Lot more to come i am told.  Sad sad day

This post was edited by Reht at February 11, 2015 6:12 PM PST
    • 9 posts
    February 11, 2015 1:18 PM PST

As a Tribes fan I had to watch this happen before. Tribes 2 came out and it had its problems but it was still a tremendously fun game, the only game that made sierra a profit that year and they still fired DaveG. I hope he keeps making games because he always thinks up something fun.

• 8 posts
    February 11, 2015 1:32 PM PST

Got a knot in my stomach as soon as I read this.

• 378 posts
    February 11, 2015 1:40 PM PST

Hmm if Pantheon gets a investor soon perhaps there is some opportunities there  for us. 

• 67 posts
    February 11, 2015 3:00 PM PST

Oh noes!!!!  That doesn't look well.

• 3016 posts
    February 11, 2015 4:09 PM PST
    Reht said:

A lot more than that so far:

Linda "Brasse" Carlson

Amnerys

Kelduum (H1Z1)

Lyndro (EQ2)

Endymion (EQ2)

Gnobrin (EQ2)

Noah W. (H1Z1 - web)

Felgon (Landmark)

Moorguard (?)

Yeah makes me very uncomfortable to know that all those folks don't have jobs.    Such is the effect of an "investment company".

Please Aradune don't have any truck with entities like that...they cut and slash ...and what's left doesn't seem to amount to much ..except value for the bean counters.

• 77 posts
    February 11, 2015 5:20 PM PST

http://kotaku.com/big-layoffs-at-everquest-studio-today-1685243961

So - who has called you guys up for a job?  :)

• 15 posts
    February 11, 2015 5:42 PM PST

Sad day for us Everquest gamers.  Sad, sad day.

• 318 posts
    February 11, 2015 7:17 PM PST

Recent Tweet from Dave Georgeson:

"Most of you know I'm a huge fan of VR and AR. I'm going to see what I can make happen there, I think. We'll see."

Does VR = Visionary Realms ? !!!

This post was edited by Wellspring at February 12, 2015 3:39 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 11, 2015 7:20 PM PST
    Wellspring said:

"Most of you know I'm a huge fan of VR and AR. I'm going to see what I can make happen there, I think. We'll see."

No, he is referring to:

VR = Virtual Reality

AR = Augmented Reality

A link to some more information on it for you: http://www.nextgeninteractions.com/virtual-and-augmented-reality/

• 318 posts
    February 11, 2015 7:23 PM PST
    Kilsin said:
    Wellspring said:

No, he is referring to:

VR = Virtual Reality

AR = Augmented Reality

A link to some more information on it for you: http://www.nextgeninteractions.com/virtual-and-augmented-reality/

Ahh okay. I let my imagination get the better of me. Thanks Kilsin for clearing that up :).

• 9115 posts
    February 11, 2015 7:32 PM PST
    Wellspring said:
    Kilsin said:
    Wellspring said:

No, he is referring to:

VR = Virtual Reality

AR = Augmented Reality

Ahh okay. I let my imagination get the better of me. Thanks Kilsin for clearing that up :).

You're very welcome :)

• 8 posts
    February 11, 2015 11:10 PM PST

Jeff Butler was let go too.  Domino, Terry and Steve Klug are still there.  No mention about the art department folks.  I hope Alen and Kelsey weather the storm however it fits them best.  Hopefully those displaced will land on their feet and do so quickly.

This post was edited by Quesera at February 11, 2015 11:23 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    February 11, 2015 11:20 PM PST
    Wellspring said:

LOL geez wouldn't that be a shot in the arm for VRI!  :)   Dreamer...nuthin' but a dreamer...hehe   Well I wish him well in whatever his future holds.  :)

• 3016 posts
    February 11, 2015 11:21 PM PST
    Quesera said:

Jeff Butler was let go too.  Domino, Terry and Steve Klug are still there.  No mention about the art department folks.  I hope Alen and Kelsey weather the storm however it fits them best.  Hopefully those displaced will land on their feet and do so quickly.

Wow they really cut to the quick..don't they.   Damn.

• 3016 posts
    February 11, 2015 11:22 PM PST
    Reht said:

Linda "Brasse" Carlson

Amnerys

Kelduum (H1Z1)

Lyndro (EQ2)

Endymion (EQ2)

Gnobrin (EQ2)

Noah W. (H1Z1 - web)

Felgon (Landmark)

Moorguard (?)

Wasn't Moorguard originally a community manager ...or maybe a Dev?   

• 9115 posts
    February 12, 2015 12:40 AM PST
    CanadinaXegony said:
    Reht said:

Linda "Brasse" Carlson

Amnerys

Kelduum (H1Z1)

Lyndro (EQ2)

Endymion (EQ2)

Gnobrin (EQ2)

Noah W. (H1Z1 - web)

Felgon (Landmark)

Moorguard (?)

Wasn't Moorguard originally a community manager ...or maybe a Dev?   

He was a Producer for SOE in VG towards the end but for EQN I believe Moorgard was the "Loregard" as he calls it ;)

https://twitter.com/Moorgard/status/565628068652654593

• 9115 posts
    February 12, 2015 1:07 AM PST

A Dev from PlanetSide 2 that was laid off and his views on the subject:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2vm5nl/dont_hate_on_columbus_novadaybreak/

• 28 posts
    February 12, 2015 2:57 AM PST

Ya I am not holding my breath for EQN if it is ever realized ill check it out but pantheon is my only hope for the MMo future, otherwise im done with it all...

• 132 posts
    February 12, 2015 4:01 AM PST

Everquest is clearly dying.

Starting greiving in 3...2...1....

This post was edited by sajbear at February 12, 2015 4:01 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 12, 2015 4:11 AM PST
    sajbear said:

Everquest is clearly dying.

Starting greiving in 3...2...1....

EQ and EQ2 I would imagine are both still very profitable and worth holding onto, EQL and EQN...probably not so much now.

• 366 posts
    February 12, 2015 4:56 AM PST

Jeff Butler was let go - that to me is the biggest one.  He has been with SOE since 1999.  He also founded Sigil games (later president), was Co-Executive Producer on Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. A very talented and a nice man. 

• 308 posts
    February 12, 2015 5:39 AM PST

Interesting post by a former PS2 producer on reddit:

Hey guys,

I came on to say goodbye to you guys (at least in my current role, prepare for lurking), but after scanning the front page I wanted to change the flavor of the post a bit.

Columbus Nova deserves no hate in all this. They are more like white knights than negative forces here. SOE needed a shake up/new direction, and CN provided that. They have done nothing but been gracious in their new ownership, and they went out of their way to make sure that Devs and support teams that got laid off were taken care of. Right now things seem shitty, and of course for the folks that were let go, today was rough, but CN and DB were both very open about the need for restructuring. This wasn't a surprise to folks in the company.

Gaming is a tough industry, and not for everyone. I've seen lots of people come and go, both good and otherwise. The fact is, there are no (or at least, extremely few) permanent gaming jobs. If you want to have just one job in your career, don't pick gaming, or even computer software. It's just the nature of the beast in such a pioneering industry. But the flip side is that there is always a new opportunity awaiting, it just may require a move to a new location or some other sacrifice.

Most of the let go folks will be working in the gaming industry soon. The rest may decide to move on to other, less volatile lines of work. But no one I talked to regrets their time making games for folks to enjoy. It's a rare job that lets you bring pleasure to so many people's lives.

Back to the subject - if you guys feel angry or betrayed, it would be misdirected to place that at the feet of the new company. They didn't bring in new staff to replace us, or say we did a shitty job and treat us poorly - they looked at the bottom line and the numbers just didn't line up. The new layout lines up now, and the goal is that DB can be successful and move on from this and eventually expand again. Saying "I'm cancelling my sub" or "I'm never buying another thing in PS2" isn't the right tactic, as much as the former Devs appreciate the intent of your support. If you want to make a positive impact, then keep doing what you're doing - if you like the game, play it. Give feedback. Get your friends to play. Buy what you want to, and what you feel gives you value. If you aren't happy, tell DB through the means you do now, social media and /bug reports. The game will grow or shrink depending on how you guys act, which is how it should be. If you make a statement on principal for the dearly departed devs, you will be hurting the remaining staff who have worked just as hard to make you guys a game you like to play. They may not be all names you know, but trust me, they put their blood, sweat, and tears into this.

TL;DR - CN didn't do this, it was something that had to be done. CN is providing a chance for the games you love to continue going

-David C, former PS2 Producer

Maybe there still is some hope....

This post was edited by Reht at February 12, 2015 5:40 AM PST
    • 76 posts
    February 12, 2015 9:20 AM PST

I only know Elidroth (VG->EQ1 iirc). Not sure of his future there. :-(

This post was edited by Aerolia at February 12, 2015 9:22 AM PST