Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Titanfall human sized robots.

• 106 posts
    January 14, 2015 8:45 PM PST

Titanfall has a near perfect real life first person perspective when you are inside a robot. pantheon should make character models around the same same size as a titan.

• 9115 posts
    January 14, 2015 8:52 PM PST

Character models that big wouldn't fit into the lore and the experience that Pantheon is trying to deliver though Munge. I played Titanfall for a few months and agree it was done well but that sized model doesn't suit player characters in Pantheon at all.

I am sure the size of the characters will be proportionate the their surroundings to capture the most immersion possible though and we are in good hands with Brad, Chris and Justin in that area ;)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 16, 2015 5:35 AM PST
    • 671 posts
    January 14, 2015 9:01 PM PST

OK, you have brought this up many times before. But after playing every type of game there is over the last 35+ years.... I have no idea what you are talking about.

Go play any game, and go into FIRST PERSON VIEW and everything is correct size. Things don't change sizes, their perspectives change. If you like first person view, then play in it all the time and don't worry about 3rd person... and the smallness that it brings your character.

Oddly, when you are inside a Titanfall Robot, you are typically 10' off the ground and 3x times bigger than you actually are/would be. Not sure you point. Please explain.

Somewhat related, what size & resolution is your monitor..?

• 106 posts
    January 14, 2015 11:30 PM PST

You can please some of the people some of the time, but one of the hardest things when your trying to effect change is that people like this gentleman are right, in some areas. Im sure there are more resolution sizes on larger monitors probably even more than im not familiar with, that no smaller monitor does. and im sure that you could show me a demo, that demonstrates those things. The hardest thing is how does that fit in to a cohesive larger vision that's gonna allow you to sell 8million or 10million dollars of product a year. and one of the things that ive always found is that you've got to start with the customer experience and work backwards to the technology, you cant start with the technology and try to figure out where your going to sell it. Ive made this mistake probably more than anyone, and Ive got the scar tissue to prove it. and i know that its the case. and as we have tried to come up with a strategy and a vision for Pantheon, it started with what incredible benefits can we give to the customer? where can we take the customer? Not starting with sitting down with the engineers and figure out what awesome technology we have and how are we going to market that. and i think that's the right path to take. I remember with ever-quest, Brad build the first first person 3d mmo you know. And there was awesome technology for the time in ever-quest. I remember playing it for the first time and just looking at the screen and saying "you know they can sell this, cuz you dont need to know anything about whats in that game, all you gotta do is put it in front of someone and say, Do you want this? and if you can remember back to 1999 before WoW and all the wow clones, It was pretty startling to see ever-quest. People where amazed. And that's where Pantheon has got to get back too. You know im sorry that Vanguard is a casualty along the way, and i readily admit there are many things in life i don't have the faintest idea what im talking about, and i apologize for that too. But there is a whole lot of people working super super hard at Visionary realms right now,  to execute on some of these things and there doing there best and i think that what we need to do, and some mistakes will be made along the way, that's good because it shows that some decisions are being made along he way, and we will find the mistakes and we will fix them. And i think what we need to do is support that team going through this very important stage as they work their butts off. And i think we need to support them and see them through this and help them make a damn good game. and to support Pantheon out in the open market, that's my own point of view. Mistakes will be made some people will be pissed off, some people will not know what there talking about. But i think things are so much better than where things where not very long ago, and i think where going to get there :) 

This post was edited by munge at January 15, 2015 1:37 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    January 15, 2015 12:48 AM PST

I am not going to lie Munge, that was very hard to read without proper spacing and paragraphs mate!

Brad and the Visionary Realms Inc team are not trying to make a WoW clone, we are not trying to create a game to please the masses and attract multi millions of players to us. The team is trying to create a game for a niche market that are for the majority EQ/VG veterans and if anyone else enjoys that type of gameplay, immersion and experience in their games, they are welcome to jump on this project and help support it.

For all the other who want instant gratification, fast travelling, boosts and cash shops to buy their way to the top, this isn't the game for them, the market is already saturated with games like that, they would be better off finding something else that suits their playstyle and expectations better.

While things can always change, Brad has a vision for Pantheon and for the most part, we will stick to that vision, like he did with EQ and like he did with VG, to produce a game of similar experience hopefully for years to come.

If you liked EQ/VG then I am almost positive that you will like Pantheon, as it will include similar mechanics, features, adventures, stories and levels of immersion that we all want to experience again.

I really wouldn't worry too much but I think giant playable characters/robots are out of the question as they won't fit into Pantheons lore or overall experience.

• 106 posts
    • 9115 posts
    January 15, 2015 1:38 AM PST
    munge said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-tKLISfPE

Munge, I am moving this thread to the off topic section as it no longer relates to Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

• 671 posts
    January 15, 2015 7:09 AM PST

Munge, I am not trying to derail your thread, just trying to understand what you keep talking about, in regards to size of players. Or the proper size. I am just not understanding your point, because you have not defined it entirely.

I am willing to learn, just need to understand your dilemma. 

As you zoom into your character and go FIRST PERSON, (just like in real life), everything is bigger because it is an outward experience. You move the camera(character) to look up, or look over your head at doorway arches, all around, etc. Your perspective is usually 6' off the ground. When you zoom out and looking down on your character, he will be smaller....   because the camera may be 50' above/away from your character.

Please explain your problem.

• 106 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:47 AM PST

I have a science project for you. Log into an mmo go into first person view then take your monitor or laptop and turn it upside down. Then walk around. It is as if you are being carried by your ankles and your head is dragging on the ground. this is due to the fact that the first person camera in all mmo games is too close to the ground. Sometime in the very near future a game is going to be released called Halflife 3 and it is going to have a real life first person perspective with a world built to real life size, and it is going to be wildly successful and any first person game made after its release will follow its innovation. And no game world with tiny toons and tiny landscapes will have any relevance in this new age of gaming. Virtual reality is the end game for the computer industry as a whole. The human mind came equipped with the ability to create Alternate reality. I think it was Thomas Edison who said " Innovation is the most important aspect of Gaming."

• 610 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:53 AM PST

I'm so confused

• 453 posts
    January 15, 2015 1:36 PM PST
    Sevens said:

I'm so confused

• 106 posts
    January 15, 2015 1:48 PM PST

pic

• 671 posts
    January 15, 2015 4:36 PM PST
    munge said:

I have a science project for you.

Log into an mmo go into first person view then take your monitor or laptop and turn it upside down. Then walk around. It is as if you are being carried by your ankles and your head is dragging on the ground. this is due to the fact that the first person camera in all mmo games is too close to the ground.

Sometime in the very near future a game is going to be released called Halflife 3 and it is going to have a real life first person perspective with a world built to real life size, and it is going to be wildly successful and any first person game made after its release will follow its innovation. And no game world with tiny toons and tiny landscapes will have any relevance in this new age of gaming. Virtual reality is the end game for the computer industry as a whole. The human mind came equipped with the ability to create Alternate reality. I think it was Thomas Edison who said " Innovation is the most important aspect of Gaming."

My friend, you do realize that most games have  ~spacial relations~  near perfect, and that 1 meter in front, is the same as 1 meter high..? I have no idea of what exact game you are trying to reference, but most if not all games today have distance exact & right. Perhaps you are talking about stylized games, that might have huge archways, or doors and makes you character seems small...?

But almost all MMORPG have fist person correct. I can go into FIRST PERSON, walk up to any doorway/person and stair strait ahead and mark where my EYES meet the door... then back up and see that it is realistic. You do realize that MMO camera distances are so close to the ground, because you are looking out of your character's eyes... right? (Hence first person perspective)

That taller characters don't have the same perspective, because they stand taller. You view the game from the perspective of your character when in FIRST PERSON. You mention Titanfall Robot, but that means you are 10 feet off the ground and looking out at the world... and from a different perspective from someone who stands 6' tall. Same with the difference between a Troll and Gnome.

I honestly think you have a skewed idea/view of the situation and probably play games at a very low resolution. That is why I asked... and you have yet to respond with how big your monitor is, and what rez you play at. Perhaps that is the over-all problem. 

Again, I would like to help, even help you find the right video card and monitor so you can enjoy MMORPG's again.

This post was edited by Hieromonk at January 16, 2015 5:35 AM PST