Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Dust???

• 5 posts
    January 28, 2024 6:02 AM PST

i've been in the pre alpha invite now every time , and ive STILL not been able to find out WHERE dust comes from for basic crafting .  im trying to start woodworking and one of the very first thing i a plain softwood staff blank needed to create a plain staff.  the ingredients to create the blank are 4 staves and dust . does ANYONE know where dust comes from ? is it mined? an item you get from smelting or refining ? bought and im just missing the vender ?

• 2050 posts
    January 28, 2024 1:38 PM PST

Dusts can drop - randomly, at a low rate - during any Harvesting action. So chopping a tree, mining ore, gathering plants, skinning animals. However some harvested resources that are very common AND get harvested for many purposes have had that function removed because too many Dusts were flooding the Market. 

From last Nov's Patch Notes:
    Celestium dusts can no longer be gathered from:
    Asherite Ore, Pine Trees, Blackberry Bushes, Hemp Plants, Wild Vegetables, or from skinning low-level NPCs.

Also, VR has removed the option to use a Dust in crafting Tier 1 products. Though at least a few T1 items have simply escaped the process of having the Dust slot taken out of their schematic, but that is an oversite and will disappear as soon as they are discovered and reported.

• 26 posts
    January 28, 2024 8:31 PM PST

The basic copper signet for the first jewelcrafting quest still calls for a dust but won't let you use it. :(

Edit: Requies Health, Mana, or Tireless. I was trying might.

This post was edited by ennuideblase at January 28, 2024 8:55 PM PST
    • 1785 posts
    January 29, 2024 8:23 AM PST

In most cases, celestium dust is an optional ingredient (jewel crafting is the exception currently - dusts are required for some things there). However, our crafting UI doesn't do a good enough job of making that optional/required distinction intuitive for players. It's something that we will address when time and resources permit.

• 513 posts
    January 30, 2024 7:50 AM PST

Is it possible that acquiring dust may be affected by your skill level, tool level, and target level? I got my first dust (health) while mining an asherite node when I was lvl 4 with max mining and using an asherite pick.

• 1785 posts
    January 31, 2024 8:03 AM PST

Nephretiti said:

Is it possible that acquiring dust may be affected by your skill level, tool level, and target level? I got my first dust (health) while mining an asherite node when I was lvl 4 with max mining and using an asherite pick.

We had a bug going on for a while (which *should* be fixed now) where the system would basically ignore the percentage chance of a drop on a node and just randomly give you whatever it wanted. It took us a while to figure out since it looked like things were working but just generating the wrong results. When we pulled dust off those low-tier nodes, we set the percentage chance to zero, but the bug caused them to still show up from time to time. Like I said, that *should* finally be fixed now.