Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Unpopular Opinion: VR should delete 3rd person

• 80 posts
    November 27, 2023 2:36 PM PST
    Usually I would never promote this, as it makes these games more annoying to play. But after watching the most recent footage, not only does Pantheon look and feel far better in 1st person, it seems like it was built for it. As soon as the player zooms out, it goes from a vast immersive world to cheesy/gimmicky. It's not just that you can't see your cartoony model anymore, it's the impact of perspective. I can't even fully explain why it makes so much of a difference in this game in particular. Just try not to introduce massive head bob during combat.
    • 902 posts
    November 27, 2023 2:46 PM PST
    This is an interesting insight. I don't tend to play mmo rpgs in first person very much, but I will certainly give it a go when I get in again.
    • 3852 posts
    November 27, 2023 2:57 PM PST
    My experience is that most players will not play in third person view - so while you might be right about the aesthetics the impact on the game could be disastrous.
    • 2052 posts
    November 27, 2023 3:03 PM PST

Since that is a purely personal setting for each player, I can't imagine any significant way for one player being in 3rd person to be a detriment to others playing in 1st person.

So, why shrink the potential player base by the percentage of people who just won't play in 1st person?

• 194 posts
    November 27, 2023 3:08 PM PST
    It's a long way from release. Not going to form an opinion about restricting povs yet.
    • 86 posts
    November 27, 2023 3:17 PM PST
    I've NEVER played a game from anything outside 3rd person if possible, even if the aim hindered me, lol. There's something about 3rd person view, maybe my earliest days of EQOA, but I can't not do it.
    • 394 posts
    November 27, 2023 4:12 PM PST

"Make it a toggle!"

• 80 posts
    November 27, 2023 4:42 PM PST
    Jothany said:

Since that is a purely personal setting for each player, I can't imagine any significant way for one player being in 3rd person to be a detriment to others playing in 1st person.

So, why shrink the potential player base by the percentage of people who just won't play in 1st person?

Sometimes it's personal preference, other times it's game dependent. The question is: does this game look objectively better in 1st? If I'm right, maybe they should play to their strengths. It's possible default 3rd person could shrink the playerbase, as it makes the game look more run-of-the-mill. To me it feels like a new game in 1st, especially immersion wise.
    • 2419 posts
    November 27, 2023 6:54 PM PST

As a person who plays exclusively in 1st person I would still never force that on someone else.

• 902 posts
    November 28, 2023 1:29 AM PST
    Yeah, a mmo rpg must have a keyboard toggle or mouse scroll to switch between,. This day and age I would not expect anything else.
    • 31 posts
    November 28, 2023 4:35 AM PST
    Yeah, that's a big no for me - It's a dealbreaker.
    • 1284 posts
    November 28, 2023 8:34 AM PST

...It's possible default 3rd person could shrink the playerbase...

I wish the argument of "default settings would shrink the playerbase" would just ... go away lol.  This implies that players are not smart enough to just adjust settings to what they like.  They are, and they will.  It'll be ok.  

• 2419 posts
    November 28, 2023 9:04 AM PST

Ranarius said:

...It's possible default 3rd person could shrink the playerbase...

I wish the argument of "default settings would shrink the playerbase" would just ... go away lol.  This implies that players are not smart enough to just adjust settings to what they like.  They are, and they will.  It'll be ok.  

I wouldn't play the game if it was locked to 3rd person.

• 124 posts
    November 28, 2023 10:36 AM PST
    I genuinely wouldn't play the game if it was locked to 1st person.
    This post was edited by Shadowbound at November 28, 2023 10:36 AM PST
    • 264 posts
    November 28, 2023 11:11 AM PST

This is not something VR can afford to do, even though I wouldn't mind 1st person only (in fact it is how I prefer to play) there are a ton of players who prefer to zoom out and not play in 1st person. A suggestion like this kinda says it all though about how bad the art style/animations look. They could have it always be night time to hide a lot of the ugliness too, or just make all player characters vision blurry lol.

• 1284 posts
    November 28, 2023 11:12 AM PST

Yes, my point was....choose the option you want, and "default" isn't what is going to stop anyone from just choosing another option from the options menu.  Players are smart enough to do that.

• 80 posts
    November 28, 2023 12:07 PM PST
    Here's an example of what im talking about.

Full screen it on 1440p, I set it to the 13:00 minute mark. He goes back and forth between 1st and 3rd in the same areas.

https://youtu.be/ngyFpjxAgyQ?feature=shared&t=785
    • 194 posts
    November 28, 2023 12:19 PM PST
    Have you taken into account the issues that may arise during encounters from not having the option to see around your character?
    • 80 posts
    November 28, 2023 12:38 PM PST
    If everyone was forced in 1st, strategy would adjust accordingly. Combat positioning and awareness would slowly shift in the context of 1st person gameplay. Resting in corners would be more beneficial for avoiding surprise attacks. If you want to fully see whats going on, you actually have to look. I see all this as a win for immersion.
    • 2419 posts
    November 28, 2023 12:50 PM PST

justdrop said: Have you taken into account the issues that may arise during encounters from not having the option to see around your character?

What, you can't just turn around and look?  Or someone in the group/raid keeps their eyes out? That's what I do in a group/raid. I look around, checking the environment to see if things are approaching or spawns are happening.

• 194 posts
    November 28, 2023 12:59 PM PST
    Vandraad said:

justdrop said: Have you taken into account the issues that may arise during encounters from not having the option to see around your character?

What, you can't just turn around and look? Or someone in the group/raid keeps their eyes out? That's what I do in a group/raid. I look around, checking the environment to see if things are approaching or spawns are happening.

Yeah, that's uncommon for a lot of games now. People can't even move out of circles. People couldn't kite the RZ fight in PoTactics, either even after the nerfs so I generally have a distrust of people to look around.
    • 902 posts
    November 28, 2023 2:59 PM PST
    OK I give up, who said it should be locked? I can't see that anywhere? Storm in an empty teacup! It's just not going to happen.
    • 194 posts
    November 28, 2023 3:20 PM PST
    chenzeme said:
    OK I give up, who said it should be locked? I can't see that anywhere? Storm in an empty teacup! It's just not going to happen.

"Unpopular Opinion: VR should delete 3rd person"

Read.
    • 17 posts
    November 29, 2023 1:41 PM PST
    Its a good option....but i wouldnt play if it was my only option.

I like 3rd person
    • 902 posts
    November 29, 2023 3:06 PM PST
    First off justdrop, no need to be rude. Reading this on a phone didn't give me the entire line. I asked a question, no need for sarcasm. But then it doesn't surprise me.

Back to the OP title: well yeah it is a dumb idea that doesn't need anymore discussion.
    This post was edited by chenzeme at December 2, 2023 8:13 AM PST