Forums » News and Announcements

Pantheon Returns to the MMORPG Format

• VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:49 AM PST

Return of the Pantheon MMORPG, NDA lift, and Alpha test session! Please read this letter to the community and join us on Thursday, November 16th at 5PM PT (-8 GMT) for a live Q&A with Creative Director, Chris "Joppa" Perkins to address your questions regarding this announcement.

This Q&A will be open to the public and hosted on our official Pantheon Discord server. If you will be unable to attend the Q&A, please feel free to leave your questions in this forum thread so we may add them to the list of questions.

• 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:06 AM PST
    WOW. I mean. WOW!

No mention of graphics? Just so we are clear? Are they staying as is or reverting too?
    This post was edited by chenzeme at November 14, 2023 9:07 AM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:14 AM PST

chenzeme said: WOW. I mean. WOW! No mention of graphics? Just so we are clear? Are they staying as is or reverting too?

The art is staying. It was the right move for us.

• 902 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:16 AM PST
    Savanja said:

chenzeme said: WOW. I mean. WOW! No mention of graphics? Just so we are clear? Are they staying as is or reverting too?

The art is staying. It was the right move for us.

Thank for the update, Savanja. This must have been really difficult for you guys.
    This post was edited by chenzeme at November 14, 2023 9:16 AM PST
    • 94 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:22 AM PST
    Yes, thank you guys for the update. Looking forward to the Q&A!
    • 80 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:27 AM PST
    This is great news and I'm glad to be proven wrong, aka this game is clearly not pivoting away from an MMORPG.

With faster patches and the quick release of Paladin. What you get when you don't white knight 25/8 is progress.
    • 5 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:28 AM PST
    #GUNov Will the quests in tower be in avalia and able to do for xp and other stuff with vendors and bank being back in and will more quests be added to more people
    This post was edited by Zace at November 14, 2023 10:24 AM PST
    • 430 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:43 AM PST

This is the best news possible :) WOOT

• 167 posts
    November 14, 2023 9:44 AM PST
    I think that this was the smart move.

As an alpha pledger I was pretty excited to be able to play Pantheon/247, whenever I wanted soon, but if it comes down to having access to 247 whenever I want, versus the full game getting completed, I'd rather see the game completed.

Question:

What frequency can alpha pledgers expect invitations for participation? Monthly invitations pose a risk of missing testing opportunities frequently. Is there potential for additional days or schedule flexibility to accommodate various commitments?
    This post was edited by Prevenge at November 14, 2023 9:57 AM PST
    • 12 posts
    November 14, 2023 10:24 AM PST

With moving back to the MMORPG style, will the death mechanic be restored as it previously was, such as Near death, Character resurrect abilities, no loss of items on death, or will it be updated/changed?

• 4 posts
    November 14, 2023 10:35 AM PST
    Great news on MMO version, still a shame on graphics.
    • 173 posts
    November 14, 2023 11:49 AM PST
    OMG! So exciting!!! Thank you VR!!!
    • 40 posts
    November 14, 2023 1:04 PM PST

Good news is good news, thank you for this and please continue!

• 86 posts
    November 14, 2023 2:00 PM PST
    Wow, this is actually really good news. I'm pretty impressed VR decided this. Thank you.
    • 63 posts
    November 14, 2023 2:01 PM PST

I was starting to come around to the 247 idea, for a short term game mode, to allow for more testing to further the Pantheon MMO development.  It is nice to see VR understand what was promised and what the community wants.  This has been my last hope for an MMO for a long time.  Thank you VR.

• 79 posts
    November 14, 2023 2:21 PM PST

Very good, this is fundamentally the right decision!  Communication with the community and for the community will be the key to everything moving forward.  This decision builds more trust than any other decision.   I am glad that you are including the community in the decision making process and if you keep doing so then everything else falls into place.  This was a game conceived and created by a community effort as well and will succeed as such.  

• 644 posts
    November 14, 2023 2:48 PM PST
    I was a vitriolic responder to 247. I felt betrayed and crushed. The announcement today was heartfelt and made me believe that even making a mistake is OK, if you own up to it and rectify it.

This response actually showed more character than if it never happened. My faith in the company's integrity is fully restored.

I listened to Sparoh's reading and real-time reaction while driving home - I felt as she did when she got choked up
    This post was edited by fazool at November 14, 2023 2:48 PM PST
    • 394 posts
    November 14, 2023 3:33 PM PST

#GUNov Are the servers for Alpha test days going to be the same as the ones Pandas play on normally or are we expecting fresh wipes/2nd servers?

Also will the NDA be in effect for these more open test windows and Alpha level testers?

• 102 posts
    November 14, 2023 3:58 PM PST
    I felt President Obamas anger translator Luther could have been used to translate this particular statement, "We knew there would be some uneasiness when we introduced a survival extraction testing mode..."

Very interesting news. I'm liking the employ of the Q&A's. I feel like it is a great way to communicate with the community, that in and of itself is content, without having to "waste" time & resources on producing a video anytime some change or announcement is made. Of course there are always use-cases for videos, but I like the format and I hope it stays somewhat consistent.
    • 44 posts
    November 14, 2023 6:14 PM PST

Wow... This had to be a very tough decision. Even just because... it sets a precedent that may be hard to avoid repercussions from later. You let whiners get their way. Yes, there was enough valid criticism of the 247 test, but there was also a lot of idiotic and downright empty criticism too. The precedent set is that, now people will be encouraged to ***** and moan to try and get their way on EVERYTHING. And most directly, this will put such a "effort" on the art style change. I can easily see whiners getting emboldened to complain about that 2-3 fold now! They have proof now, that if they throw enough of a temper tantrum about it, they could get their way. I hope VR has a plan to mitigate that.

I am not sad to see 247 go, but I was not completely against it either. I actually read the statements about it, and thought about it. Thus I do have to wonder if testing will go well without it, because 247 was decided on for a reason beyond the popularly assumed "greed".

That said... I am very happy to see that, despite 247 getting canceled... Alpha testers will FINALLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY be in within weeks! I did not expect that. I figured the Alpha testers addition was a 247 only thing, and with that canceled we would end up back on the bench.

• 252 posts
    November 14, 2023 6:33 PM PST
    See my response in the dubious "You're Welcome" thread for more, but there will be people with a one-dimensional view that their complaining was the sole factor in VR's decision to reverse on 247. Obviously there are other factors than that, but nuance is not a virtue on the internet.
    • 264 posts
    November 14, 2023 8:17 PM PST

I am very glad to see they saw reason here. 247 was not a good look regardless of the motives for having it. The art style is still a big issue, but in full honesty gameplay is king..I can overlook graphics/art style. I did so with WoW after all. Full steam ahead on the MMORPG and if necessary launch it as early access in the next year or so, put the cards on the table and show us what you've got. I would have wanted an extraction game to fail because that's not what I pledged for...but if you are moving forward with the MMORPG I am back on board.

• 1 posts
    November 14, 2023 11:16 PM PST
    I'm itching to pledge a reasonable amount of money (around $100) as soon as you guys have something up and running, which I can log into whenever I feel like it, even if there is very limited content available (e.g. that one zone in the pre-alpha).

I know you've all been putting your hearts and souls into the game, and how difficult it must be with a small team, so I'd be happy to contribute around the same amount as a completed AAA game, in order to help keep your funding going.

I suspect there might be quite a lot of people like me, and you might find more people putting in smaller amounts, makes finding funding easier than trying to convince a few people to pay bigger amounts.
    This post was edited by Samboah at November 14, 2023 11:17 PM PST
    • 47 posts
    November 14, 2023 11:29 PM PST
    Thanks mate, you've been hearing us clear and loud. Respect for your rollback; it was probably a tough, but right, decision.
    Eager to see the game from inside.
    Best wish for the rest of work to be done.
    • 83 posts
    November 15, 2023 1:37 AM PST
    #GUNov: What are the plans for pvp testing going forward?
    This post was edited by Kaynrath at November 15, 2023 2:04 AM PST