Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The "I don't care about graphics" lie...

• 1019 posts
    October 30, 2023 7:09 AM PDT
    I just had to vent a little about something that's been bugging me for a while now: the notion that "graphics don't matter" in games. I keep hearing this from various people, and it's time to set the record straight. Graphics do matter, and they matter a lot!

It's frustrating to hear some argue that graphics are inconsequential when it's clear that they play a pivotal role in conveying the feel and atmosphere of a game. When you're trying to immerse yourself in a dark and foreboding world or experience a time of struggle and strife, graphics can make or break that experience. Visual elements such as lighting, texture, and character design can be the difference between feeling truly immersed in the game's world or merely going through the motions.

I often hear examples like, "Well, look at games made with RPG Maker MV. They have very basic graphics, and yet they can be great games." While it's true that these games can be fantastic in terms of depth, storytelling, and gameplay mechanics, they often struggle to gain the recognition they deserve precisely because of their graphics. The fact remains that many players are drawn to games with stunning visuals and may overlook a game with less impressive graphics, even if the gameplay is top-notch.

Graphics aren't just about pretty pictures; they're a storytelling tool. The visual elements of a game can evoke emotions, set the tone, and create a powerful connection between the player and the game world. A well-crafted visual style can elevate the overall experience and make the player care more about the characters and the world they're exploring.

Furthermore, when the graphics in a game don't align with the feel and atmosphere the game is trying to convey, it can ruin everything. Imagine playing a post-apocalyptic survival game with colorful, cartoony graphics – it just doesn't work. The visuals should complement the narrative and gameplay to provide a cohesive experience.

So, the next time someone says, "Graphics don't matter," kindly remind them that they do. Games are a multimedia experience, and graphics are an integral part of that experience. We should continue to appreciate and advocate for well-executed visuals in gaming, as they contribute significantly to the depth and immersion of the gaming experience. After all, who wouldn't want to play a game that not only plays well but also looks the part?
    This post was edited by Kittik at October 30, 2023 7:53 AM PDT
    • 167 posts
    October 30, 2023 7:30 AM PDT
    I agree with your overall sentiment.

I also think that VR could still make this hand painted style work and I do believe they are trying to bring it more in line with people's expectations.

I do believe based on what Joppa said during the Q&A that VR is indeed trying to make it more dark, gritty and mature.

If this is the case, I would love to see more of it. A more continuous flow of screenshots and or video. Currently it feels like we, the community, are very much disconnected from what is going on with Pantheon and I think that's a large part of the problem.

Make us part of the discussion, again. Show people that you are listening to the feedback and trying things with the art to try to bring it more in line with the old realistic style graphics and darker atmosphere.
    • 48 posts
    October 30, 2023 9:36 AM PDT

Kittik said: I just had to vent a little about something that's been bugging me for a while now: the notion that "graphics don't matter" in games. I keep hearing this from various people, and it's time to set the record straight. Graphics do matter, and they matter a lot! It's frustrating to hear some argue that graphics are inconsequential when it's clear that they play a pivotal role in conveying the feel and atmosphere of a game. When you're trying to immerse yourself in a dark and foreboding world or experience a time of struggle and strife, graphics can make or break that experience. Visual elements such as lighting, texture, and character design can be the difference between feeling truly immersed in the game's world or merely going through the motions. I often hear examples like, "Well, look at games made with RPG Maker MV. They have very basic graphics, and yet they can be great games." While it's true that these games can be fantastic in terms of depth, storytelling, and gameplay mechanics, they often struggle to gain the recognition they deserve precisely because of their graphics. The fact remains that many players are drawn to games with stunning visuals and may overlook a game with less impressive graphics, even if the gameplay is top-notch. Graphics aren't just about pretty pictures; they're a storytelling tool. The visual elements of a game can evoke emotions, set the tone, and create a powerful connection between the player and the game world. A well-crafted visual style can elevate the overall experience and make the player care more about the characters and the world they're exploring. Furthermore, when the graphics in a game don't align with the feel and atmosphere the game is trying to convey, it can ruin everything. Imagine playing a post-apocalyptic survival game with colorful, cartoony graphics – it just doesn't work. The visuals should complement the narrative and gameplay to provide a cohesive experience. So, the next time someone says, "Graphics don't matter," kindly remind them that they do. Games are a multimedia experience, and graphics are an integral part of that experience. We should continue to appreciate and advocate for well-executed visuals in gaming, as they contribute significantly to the depth and immersion of the gaming experience. After all, who wouldn't want to play a game that not only plays well but also looks the part?

Here are the graphics from one of my all time favor RPGs, that I have spent countless hours playing for many many years. Also, this game is currently being sold on Steam for like 15 bucks I think, while Pantheon still doesn't even exist. 

I think this may matter more to you, but I don't think everyone sees it like you do. Personally, I am not that concerned with the graphic, and I have never minded cartoonish graphics at all. So, it is great you have your own views, but that doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. 

• 1279 posts
    October 30, 2023 9:48 AM PDT

I can totally understand your arguments for your opinion on graphics.  I don't think you can argue what is important to me in a game though.  You may disagree, but that doesn't make me a liar about my own preferences on something as subjective as graphics.  

• 133 posts
    October 30, 2023 10:00 AM PDT

Jeremiahcp said:

Here are the graphics from one of my all time favor RPGs, that I have spent countless hours playing for many many years. Also, this game is currently being sold on Steam for like 15 bucks I think, while Pantheon still doesn't even exist. 

I think this may matter more to you, but I don't think everyone sees it like you do. Personally, I am not that concerned with the graphic, and I have never minded cartoonish graphics at all. So, it is great you have your own views, but that doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. 

Can I ask what game this is? I am very curious as I haven't seen a text-based game in a LONG time be available lol

• 252 posts
    October 30, 2023 10:13 AM PDT
    Jeremiahcp said: Here are the graphics from one of my all time favor RPGs, that I have spent countless hours playing for many many years. Also, this game is currently being sold on Steam for like 15 bucks I think, while Pantheon still doesn't even exist. I think this may matter more to you, but I don't think everyone sees it like you do. Personally, I am not that concerned with the graphic, and I have never minded cartoonish graphics at all. So, it is great you have your own views, but that doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.
    The OG ASCII characters were so much better. This looks like nethack, or at the least a modern version of windows. BTW, for those wondering this is the "Rogue" that the term "roguelike" came from. I killed hundreds of hours in this game. There is an online remake that has been around forever called "nethack". But for my money, install DOSBOX and play the OG. Rodney for life!
    This post was edited by Ruinar at October 30, 2023 10:14 AM PDT
    • 226 posts
    October 30, 2023 10:14 AM PDT
    Kittik, I agree. While there are some that may truly not care. It seems obvious that the vast majority of people do care about graphics to some degree.

It feels like the people that support the art style fall into 3 groups. 1, they truly don't care about graphics. 2, they legitimately like the painted art style. Or 3, they just want to blindly support VR (fanboys).

However, even if you are group 1, which I think a few people are .. if you had your choice between good and bad graphics, why would'n't you want them to look good? Seems odd to not care one way or the other.

But, to your point Kittik, yes graphics matter to most of us.
    • 252 posts
    October 30, 2023 10:15 AM PDT
    Here is what it looked like with the old style ASCII characters.
    This post was edited by Ruinar at October 30, 2023 10:17 AM PDT
    • 48 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:19 PM PDT
    OCastitatisLilium said:
    Jeremiahcp said: Here are the graphics from one of my all time favor RPGs, that I have spent countless hours playing for many many years. Also, this game is currently being sold on Steam for like 15 bucks I think, while Pantheon still doesn't even exist. I think this may matter more to you, but I don't think everyone sees it like you do. Personally, I am not that concerned with the graphic, and I have never minded cartoonish graphics at all. So, it is great you have your own views, but that doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.
    Can I ask what game this is? I am very curious as I haven't seen a text-based game in a LONG time be available lol
    This is ADOM or Ancient Domains of Mystery. The creator did eventually added some basic graphics, but he left it as something you could toggle if you still wanted to play in the original ASCII.
    This post was edited by Jeremiahcp at October 30, 2023 1:19 PM PDT
    • 48 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:19 PM PDT
    mistake post
    This post was edited by Jeremiahcp at October 30, 2023 1:19 PM PDT
    • 252 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:42 PM PDT
    Ooh, I hadn't heard of this one. I learned programming making ASCII games like this, but mine weren't procedurally generated. They had maps.
    This post was edited by Ruinar at October 30, 2023 1:43 PM PDT
    • 1019 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:11 PM PDT
    Jeremiahcp said:

You'd be happy with ASCII graphics in an MMO?
    • 316 posts
    October 30, 2023 4:44 PM PDT

Agreed, and lol at the notion of ASCII graphics in an MMO.

For me, old-school MMO gameplay, EQ gameplay, just doesn't work in a cartoony world. I have to feel like it's worth it to repetitively bash away for hours -- the world must be "cool." The cartoony, "hand-painted" style just doesn't look cool, sorry. Imo. Unfortunately not something I'd feel motivated to grind away for hours and hours in. EQ had a real cool factor. I just don't think it's possible to capture that with the exaggerated curves, colors, and general cartoony-ness of this art style.

• 3852 posts
    October 30, 2023 5:19 PM PDT
    I have often said that good graphics and great gameplay would be far more appealing to me than the reverse. That, to that extent, graphics were not nearly as important.

I have also said for just as long that the graphics do need to meet minimum standards. Good but not great are OK. Bad or even awful are not OK.

I can see the revised Pantheon graphics meeting that test - they do not right now.
    • 273 posts
    October 30, 2023 5:47 PM PDT

Too many people conflate good graphics with realistic graphics. There is a lot more to making a game's graphics good than just the art style. To harken back to OP, that is textures, lighting, character design, etc.

To this day I still contend that Super Metroid is one of the best looking games ever made graphically. Obviously it's not one of the most graphically advanced games ever made, even for the time there were more graphically challenging games for the Super Nintendo. However, in terms of character design, animations, environment design, colors, all that, it is one of the few games I have played where I feel the graphics accurately convey the feeling of the game. The graphics match the lore of the Metroid universe and the world of Zebes.

World of Warcraft is another game that I include in that short list of games that really nail the relationship between lore and aesthetic. In spite of what I've seen a lot of people in this community say about the game on the forums and in Discord over the years, WoW is not a kids game, and judging it as such based on its stylized graphics only shows your ignorance. That can be said for most of Blizzard's games made prior to 2007- their art team in that era were masters of character and particularly environment design.

That being said, I don't think the art style change has helped Pantheon's graphics much so far. There is still a lot of room for improvement, let's hope they do.

• 2419 posts
    October 30, 2023 5:55 PM PDT

Jeremiahcp said:

Um, if you truly didn't care about graphics you'd be playing a text based game and not that thing with all its fancy schmancy ASCII art.

• 194 posts
    October 30, 2023 6:32 PM PDT
    I think, in the interest of ease, some graphics are necessary. I'm also a fan of Dwarf Fortress, so don't judge me too harshly.
    • 233 posts
    October 30, 2023 11:54 PM PDT
    People saying the art style is fine are like NFT bag holders.
    • 810 posts
    October 31, 2023 4:26 AM PDT
    People need to accept that "I don't care about graphics" does not mean "The target audience doesn't care about graphics" Its two very different things. Anyone saying the latter is insane. Plenty can say the former and be completely honest.
    • 63 posts
    October 31, 2023 7:41 AM PDT
    I played a pretty fun Indie game one time but the graphics were pretty basic so I dropped it. I forget what it was called. Minecraft I think? Anyways, no idea what happened to it but it probably failed since it looked so cartoony. It's a shame cause it was otherwise pretty fun.
    • 245 posts
    October 31, 2023 11:38 AM PDT
    Grimseethe said:

Just your own opinion, you can’t accept that other people like other things, you see the world with blinkers on.

Sharing such a limited and unintelligible point of view so often only makes your posts more diminutive. Though, it’s not as if you were a particularly positive or interesting poster even during the best of times.
    • 226 posts
    October 31, 2023 11:42 AM PDT
    Ezrael said:
    Grimseethe said:

Just your own opinion, you can’t accept that other people like other things, you see the world with blinkers on.

Sharing such a limited and unintelligible point of view so often only makes your posts more diminutive. Though, it’s not as if you were a particularly positive or interesting poster even during the best of times.

Do you mean blinders?

Anyway, obviously some people like it. However, its more then clear most people hate that new art style.
    • 2419 posts
    October 31, 2023 11:52 AM PDT

Sweety said: Anyway, obviously some people like it. However, its more then clear most people hate that new art style.

I'd say it is very safe to say that most people just don't care enough, one way or another, to make their position on it known.  So of the people who care enough to make a post about their opinion don't like it is a more accurate statement.

• 368 posts
    October 31, 2023 1:02 PM PDT

I don't like the new graphics, but its not a deal breaker for me. What is bothering me, is not having systems done before we are changing art, again.

• 48 posts
    October 31, 2023 1:58 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Jeremiahcp said:

Um, if you truly didn't care about graphics you'd be playing a text based game and not that thing with all its fancy schmancy ASCII art.

Been there done that. I also played DnD.