Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Can Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Still Succeed?

• 226 posts
    October 30, 2023 12:44 PM PDT
    LoL.
    This post was edited by Sweety at October 30, 2023 6:46 PM PDT
    • 167 posts
    October 30, 2023 12:48 PM PDT
    Valorous1 said:
    I wish I could tell VR to just focus on releasing new zones and the races/classes and their skills/abilities. If they were to incrementally release videos on JUST those two things, I swear they would see in uptick in revenue, popularity, Likes/Shares, positive community feedback and more. Leave out all the systems, dungeons, raids, questing until way later.

I fully agree with this. Pledges might have dried up, but wasn't it in tandem with information about the actual game kind of drying up?

I liked it when VR was posting frequently, showing off new class abilities. Class refreshes. I loved the Faerthale videos. The pre-alpha cohh streams. I followed it all and watched everything. That's what brought me into Pantheon and got me to pledge alpha. I knew about it from the beginning, but it was the stream of new information that opened up my wallet.
    • 252 posts
    October 30, 2023 12:56 PM PDT
    Prevenge said:
    Valorous1 said:
    I wish I could tell VR to just focus on releasing new zones and the races/classes and their skills/abilities. If they were to incrementally release videos on JUST those two things, I swear they would see in uptick in revenue, popularity, Likes/Shares, positive community feedback and more. Leave out all the systems, dungeons, raids, questing until way later.

I fully agree with this. Pledges might have dried up, but wasn't it in tandem with information about the actual game kind of drying up?

I liked it when VR was posting frequently, showing off new class abilities. Class refreshes. I loved the Faerthale videos. The pre-alpha cohh streams. I followed it all and watched everything. That's what brought me into Pantheon and got me to pledge alpha. I knew about it from the beginning, but it was the stream of new information that opened up my wallet.

I don't see how we could know this; but I suspect that pledges started drying up before they went dark. If streaming pre-alpha was generating pledges I honestly don't think they would have gone dark. Of course, we have no idea what their finances look like.

Regarding 247 reaching a different audience; people are right. As it exists right now it won't attract many in the Pantheon community and those it will attract have already pledged so no revenue bump there. As it exists now it won't attract many outside the Pantheon community because the combat and systems are built around an open-ended MMO. This is why monetization of 247 is so scary for everyone. Because we can't conceive of a way that it can both be financially successful and still look anything like Pantheon the MMO.

That said, if they reworked combat, improved the art, and opened a cash shop for 247 it could potentially be successful if they hit the right combination for people who like lobby games. But at that point, the MMO itself is still at risk of either A) not being funded by 247, or B) changing to be more like 247.

I'm not saying they should do that; I'm just saying it might work. I think if they did that it would be a real ethical issue for them, considering that it was directly funded by MMO pledgers.
    • 206 posts
    • 226 posts
    • 167 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:39 PM PDT
    Sweety said:
    Jothany said:

Off topic comments have been removed. Please keep your comments ON TOPIC to avoid having your posts removed.

This is part of the problem though. VR (or VR volunteers, not sure of your status) have to control everything so much that they can't even let us express ourselves in the way we want. No one is physically harming anyone. This is just a passionate discussion of words and ideas. Stop micro-managing. Not blaming you, Jothany for VR's current predicament, I'm sure you are doing what you are told. I am blaming leadership that has created a company like this. I think this a microcosm of a greater problem at VR.

Just for the record I ASKED Jothany to have the not-on-point posts removed, from this topic. You're PO'd and I get it and I'm not trying to minimize how you feel, but there are appropriate threads for you to take out your anger and this is not one of them.
    • 194 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:54 PM PDT
    Get to alpha. Period. If you get to alpha and get people who've been dying for the MMO into it, that will alleviate a lot of the frustration from people who've been here for the project with nothing to show for it so far. Will it be bad? Probably, but people have zero faith because they have nothing.
    • 167 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:06 PM PDT
    justdrop said:
    Get to alpha. Period. If you get to alpha and get people who've been dying for the MMO into it, that will alleviate a lot of the frustration from people who've been here for the project with nothing to show for it so far. Will it be bad? Probably, but people have zero faith because they have nothing.

Yea, I don't know the ratio of PA testers to Alpha testers, but I'm sure it's a significant amount bigger in the alpha category.

I also think that regardless of the state it's in, it should be opened to streaming. I think VR has always had a bit of fear about letting people see the game "before it's ready" but cat's out of the bag. Might as well take the open and honest approach from here on out and it's the perfect time for you to talk about it publicly and show it off. What harm could more coverage do, that these past 2 weeks haven't already done?

If you go full transparency mode, people know you have nothing to hide, they know what you're working on, they're providing constant feedback, you can move forward with honest responses from your community and honest responses to the community. Clamming up is when people started to lose it. Especially with such major changes in the works. But I know for a fact that dropping giant changes on people with no warning will NEVER go over as well as letting them know ahead of time that you may need to make major changes and "this reason is why". Even if people don't like the idea or changes, at least they can see it coming. NO ONE likes to be blind sided.
    • 194 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:09 PM PDT
    Prevenge said:

I also think that regardless of the state it's in, it should be opened to streaming. I think VR has always had a bit of fear about letting people see the game "before it's ready" but cat's out of the bag. Might as well take the open and honest approach from here on out and it's the perfect time for you to talk about it publicly and show it off. What harm could more coverage do, that these past 2 weeks haven't already done?

If you go full transparency mode, people know you have nothing to hide, they know what you're working on, they're providing constant feedback, you can move forward with honest responses from your community and honest responses to the community. Clamming up is when people started to lose it. Especially with such major changes in the works. But I know for a fact that dropping giant changes on people with no warning will NEVER go over as well as letting them know ahead of time that you may need to make major changes and "this reason is why". Even if people don't like the idea or changes, at least they can see it coming. NO ONE likes to be blind sided.

They'll shout about NDA, but NDA will be the deathknell. I agree with you 100%
    • 1019 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:10 PM PDT
    I appreciate the intention behind encouraging constructive discussions, but I have a different perspective on this.

Negativity and Criticism: Negative feedback and criticism play a crucial role in any open discussion. They help identify areas that need improvement and give the community a platform to express their concerns. Suppressing negativity can lead to an echo chamber where problems may go unaddressed.

Diverse Opinions: Reddit and similar forums are places where people express their diverse opinions. It's important to respect and consider all community members' viewpoints, whether positive or negative. Requesting that the discussion remain solely focused on constructive contributions may stifle valid criticisms and concerns.

Fear of Failure: The fear of Pantheon's failure is a valid concern for passionate project supporters. However, acknowledging concerns and addressing them is a more constructive approach than asking people to suppress their doubts and provide only positive feedback. Constructive criticism can drive improvement.

Value of Dissent: Throughout history, dissent and criticism have often led to positive change and course corrections. Restricting discussions to only positive ideas may limit the project's ability to evolve and adapt to the community's needs.

Transparency and Honesty: Open and honest communication is vital for any community-driven project. It's important to provide a platform for people to voice their concerns and frustrations. Attempting to control the narrative by requesting only positive ideas can undermine transparency.

Fostering a constructive conversation is essential, but it should be done in a way that respects the diversity of opinions and allows for the healthy exchange of ideas, both positive and negative. Addressing criticism and concerns openly can lead to a stronger and more resilient project in the long run.
    • 167 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:15 PM PDT
    Kittik said:
    I appreciate the intention behind encouraging constructive discussions, but I have a different perspective on this.

Negativity and Criticism: Negative feedback and criticism play a crucial role in any open discussion. They help identify areas that need improvement and give the community a platform to express their concerns. Suppressing negativity can lead to an echo chamber where problems may go unaddressed.

Diverse Opinions: Reddit and similar forums are places where people express their diverse opinions. It's important to respect and consider all community members' viewpoints, whether positive or negative. Requesting that the discussion remain solely focused on constructive contributions may stifle valid criticisms and concerns.

Fear of Failure: The fear of Pantheon's failure is a valid concern for passionate project supporters. However, acknowledging concerns and addressing them is a more constructive approach than asking people to suppress their doubts and provide only positive feedback. Constructive criticism can drive improvement.

Value of Dissent: Throughout history, dissent and criticism have often led to positive change and course corrections. Restricting discussions to only positive ideas may limit the project's ability to evolve and adapt to the community's needs.

Transparency and Honesty: Open and honest communication is vital for any community-driven project. It's important to provide a platform for people to voice their concerns and frustrations. Attempting to control the narrative by requesting only positive ideas can undermine transparency.

Fostering a constructive conversation is essential, but it should be done in a way that respects the diversity of opinions and allows for the healthy exchange of ideas, both positive and negative. Addressing criticism and concerns openly can lead to a stronger and more resilient project in the long run.

Yea, chatgpt is right, but that's why there are different topics on the forums. This one in particular was specifically created for positive feedback and ideas. The vast majority of them are perfect for the negative comments that had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    • 627 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:17 PM PDT
    If i can play the game I would happily pay for a sub. Like 5-10 USD/month.
    • 167 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:31 PM PDT
    BamBam said:

Honestly when this was suggested in the past, I hated the idea. I already paid 350USD for alpha access, I never would have accepted it.

However knowing how dire the situation has become, I would happily invest a small 5 - 10 dollar a month fee, if it meant VR was going to be fully transparent from this point forward and every dollar was going to go to making Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen happen. Plus I'd be playing Pantheon. Even if it's nowhere near completion, I'd be extremely happy to be just playing, meeting the people I'll be playing with for years to come and just having fun testing things.

I wonder how many of us would be willing to do the same thing.
    • 252 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:40 PM PDT
    Prevenge said:
    BamBam said:

Honestly when this was suggested in the past, I hated the idea. I already paid 350USD for alpha access, I never would have accepted it.

However knowing how dire the situation has become, I would happily invest a small 5 - 10 dollar a month fee, if it meant VR was going to be fully transparent from this point forward and every dollar was going to go to making Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen happen. Plus I'd be playing Pantheon. Even if it's nowhere near completion, I'd be extremely happy to be just playing, meeting the people I'll be playing with for years to come and just having fun testing things.

Regardless if whether or not people would do it, requiring a sub for alpha access when so many have already pledged for alpha access would be impossible.
    • 167 posts
    October 30, 2023 3:06 PM PDT
    Ruinar said:
    Prevenge said:
    BamBam said:

Regardless if whether or not people would do it, requiring a sub for alpha access when so many have already pledged for alpha access would be impossible.

I suppose you'd have to appropriately label it something other than alpha.... and I guess I just realized that's the point of 247.

Can't call it pre-alpha, can't call it alpha. Make a new game mode so we can get more people in here testing, without betraying pledge levels. Perhaps the initial idea was that the game mode would be fun and popular and a small monthly sub could have been charged for access. Or an entirely separate and smaller pledge for 247 could have been made. I'd assume it's not going to work based on how it was leaked and the backlash that followed, though.

So now what?

They could take the basics of 247, drop the name and the whole extraction mode thing and rebrand it as something different but more honest. 5 - 10 monthly sub for access to a testing environment within the world of Terminus, where you are encouraged to test specific areas and classes and dungeons for a certain period of time. Reset it frequently and often. Most of this already sounds like it's been created, for 247 anyway.
    • 194 posts
    October 30, 2023 3:33 PM PDT
    Pre-beta, then delete all the comments rightfully calling it a grab.
    • 133 posts
    October 30, 2023 6:03 PM PDT

Kittik said: I appreciate the intention behind encouraging constructive discussions, but I have a different perspective on this. Negativity and Criticism: Negative feedback and criticism play a crucial role in any open discussion. They help identify areas that need improvement and give the community a platform to express their concerns. Suppressing negativity can lead to an echo chamber where problems may go unaddressed. Diverse Opinions: Reddit and similar forums are places where people express their diverse opinions. It's important to respect and consider all community members' viewpoints, whether positive or negative. Requesting that the discussion remain solely focused on constructive contributions may stifle valid criticisms and concerns. Fear of Failure: The fear of Pantheon's failure is a valid concern for passionate project supporters. However, acknowledging concerns and addressing them is a more constructive approach than asking people to suppress their doubts and provide only positive feedback. Constructive criticism can drive improvement. Value of Dissent: Throughout history, dissent and criticism have often led to positive change and course corrections. Restricting discussions to only positive ideas may limit the project's ability to evolve and adapt to the community's needs. Transparency and Honesty: Open and honest communication is vital for any community-driven project. It's important to provide a platform for people to voice their concerns and frustrations. Attempting to control the narrative by requesting only positive ideas can undermine transparency. Fostering a constructive conversation is essential, but it should be done in a way that respects the diversity of opinions and allows for the healthy exchange of ideas, both positive and negative. Addressing criticism and concerns openly can lead to a stronger and more resilient project in the long run.

I said this exact same thing in far more words than you have here, and it got toted as negative and deleted because the OP was mad and asked a mod to remove it. This will no doubt get removed too, he'll just cry to another mod buddy of his to have it removed.

• 2053 posts
    October 30, 2023 6:14 PM PDT

Prevenge said:  Yea, I don't know the ratio of PA testers to Alpha testers, but I'm sure it's a significant amount bigger in the alpha category.

I don't know how many VIP's there are, but I think it's not much more than 1000. Over a year ago, VR was talking about the opening of Alpha and referred to "getting ready for another 8000+ testers" so I consider that the working number for Alpha.

justdrop said: Get to alpha. Period. If you get to alpha and get people who've been dying for the MMO into it, that will alleviate a lot of the frustration from people who've been here for the project with nothing to show for it so far. Will it be bad? Probably, but people have zero faith because they have nothing.

I agree that would alleviate much current unhappiness. I also agree that NDA has outlived it value and should either be radically revised to cover way less, or preferably just dropped.

• 226 posts
    October 30, 2023 6:54 PM PDT
    Prevenge said:
    Sweety said:
    Jothany said:

Off topic comments have been removed. Please keep your comments ON TOPIC to avoid having your posts removed.

This is part of the problem though. VR (or VR volunteers, not sure of your status) have to control everything so much that they can't even let us express ourselves in the way we want. No one is physically harming anyone. This is just a passionate discussion of words and ideas. Stop micro-managing. Not blaming you, Jothany for VR's current predicament, I'm sure you are doing what you are told. I am blaming leadership that has created a company like this. I think this a microcosm of a greater problem at VR.

Just for the record I ASKED Jothany to have the not-on-point posts removed, from this topic. You're PO'd and I get it and I'm not trying to minimize how you feel, but there are appropriate threads for you to take out your anger and this is not one of them.

Fair enough, but now Jothany is literally editing my posts with text I didn’t write. It’s an ego problem at some point.

So back on topic, to answer the question you asked .. can it still succeed. My answer is probably not. But if they want it have a chance to succeed my constructive criticism would be .. they need to drop the ego and listen to what most people are telling them. Stop 247 and get back to Brad’s vision. To do that they need to buy lottery tickets and hope to win the funding needed. Problem solved.
    • 80 posts
    October 30, 2023 6:56 PM PDT
    It could theoretically still succeed but it would take major steps that are very unlikely to happen. Here are some crucial changes:

1. New CEO and Program Director. It's undeniable that Pantheon has been consistently mismanaged throughout the years. Joppa is a very talented Audio Mixer, lets make the best use of our resources.

2. Drastically reduce the scope of the game. Cut the size of the world in half then halt all development on crafting, acclimation, questing, extraction, perception, armor GFX and anything else that prevents you for completing every race and class. Dial in the combat mechanics and populate the other half of the world. This will give plenty of reason to both log in and pay for monthly access.

3. Keep the servers up and let all alpha pledges into the game right now, in a month let all the beta pledges in. On the 3rd month monetize alpha monthly.

3. Make the art look dark & gritty. It's too disney`esque/happy looking. For all the people saying revert the graphics, that art was aging poorly and I hope you have a plan for bad online Unity performance, which it's well known for.

5. Every job position that doesn't accomplish the above in some manner, should be put on hiatus.

6. If all that doesn't work: make the game open source, leverage the entire community to complete the game.

Or we can gamble on a Pantheon extraction game, made with minimal resources, pitted against AAA developers in an already over-saturated market. I wouldn't go to Vegas with those odds but feel free.
    • 226 posts
    October 30, 2023 7:06 PM PDT
    RedGang said:
    It could theoretically still succeed but it would take major steps that are very unlikely to happen. Here are some crucial changes:

1. New CEO and Program Director. It's undeniable that Pantheon has been consistently mismanaged throughout the years. Joppa is a very talented Audio Mixer, lets make the best use of our resources.

2. Drastically reduce the scope of the game. Cut the size of the world in half then halt all development on crafting, acclimation, questing, extraction, perception, armor GFX and anything else that prevents you for completing every race and class. Dial in the combat mechanics and populate the other half of the world. This will give plenty of reason to both log in and pay for monthly access.

3. Keep the servers up and let all alpha pledges into the game right now, in a month let all the beta pledges in. On the 3rd month monetize alpha monthly.

3. Make the art look dark & gritty. It's too disney`esque/happy looking. For all the people saying revert the graphics, that art was aging poorly and I hope you have a plan for bad online Unity performance, which it's well known for.

5. Every job position that doesn't accomplish the above in some manner, should be put on hiatus.

6. If all that doesn't work: make the game open source, leverage the entire community to complete the game.

Or we can gamble on a Pantheon extraction game, made with minimal resources, pitted against AAA developers in an already over-saturated market. I wouldn't go to Vegas with those odds but feel free.

Love this. Would absolutely love to see VR follow this plan. But most of us know, nothing remotely close to this will happen.

If it did happen however, 1 month of alpha seems a bit quick to work out bugs and make changes before a beta release. But hey, it’s desperate times.
    • 252 posts
    October 30, 2023 7:10 PM PDT
    I hesitate to say it, but I think agile project development is the wrong move for a project like this. I think for the initial build they need a traditional project management style with deadlines, milestones, dependencies, and someone cracking the whip. I don't have a ton of agile experience but I have seen where trying to fit things into agile that aren't what agile was meant to do results in bad times. After the game is released or at least the base game is ready for alpha, use agile for developing features in a continuous software development mode.

They need a top-tier project manager to come in and take this thing over.
    • 80 posts
    October 30, 2023 7:21 PM PDT
    I didn't mean to switch to beta, this game is nowhere near that. Keep the game in pre-alpha just let alpha and beta pledges in anyways. The 2 month separation is so they get some semblance of value for their pledges before they get sandbagged by early access.
    • 233 posts
    October 30, 2023 11:54 PM PDT
    If people think they want cartoon graphics theyre lying to themselves.
    • 185 posts
    October 30, 2023 11:54 PM PDT
    Sweety, i would suggest they don’t actually have win the lottery, or even get significant new funding, to finish the game.

This will seem draconian, but they worked pro bono on the game in the beginning because they believed in it. They could just do that now because they believe in it.

They have no real hard costs. They all work from home.
    The VR “Executives” and “Directors” contribute precisely nothing to building out this game.
    They have a freeking HR department. Who are they fooling?
    No offices, no rent. They don’t have to source raw materials to build a physical product of any kind.

Cohh pointed this out. They just need to put in the actual hours of hard work required to build the game.

Sacrifice now to have a chance at a future.
    Get 8000+ Alpha pledgers in and gain some traction again.
    Because no one in their right mind is going to give them money for their new “vision”.