Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Moody or Toonie

• 902 posts
    September 26, 2023 1:38 AM PDT

A: 

Or B:

Or C: - Dont care what I am looking at.

Or D: I feel I cannot make a fair comparison at this time.

A, B, C or D?

This post was edited by chenzeme at September 28, 2023 1:29 AM PDT
    • 902 posts
    September 26, 2023 1:41 AM PDT

A!

• 31 posts
    September 26, 2023 1:57 AM PDT

A - But i believe that B can be good as well with the right amount of tuning.

The comparison aint really fair either, A is nighmode and "finished" etc, while B is daymode and isn't finished (atleast that is what i think).

This post was edited by Nivea at September 26, 2023 2:02 AM PDT
    • 902 posts
    September 26, 2023 1:59 AM PDT

It was the best I could come up with given the limited details we have been given. Regardless, I think there is enough to make a choice, as you did. But yes, I would loved to have like for like. Infact, VR should have done this prior!

This post was edited by chenzeme at September 26, 2023 2:00 AM PDT
    • 167 posts
    September 26, 2023 5:14 AM PDT

I mainly care that the game runs properly.  I would have preferred A.  But I'd much rather have B + Good performance instead of A with poor performance.  

• 3852 posts
    September 26, 2023 9:07 AM PDT

A is very attractive. B is ...not.

If VR can move to alpha, beta and then release fairly rapidly using B, as distinct from the never ending creeping progress we have seen for years - and I use the word progress with some concern about its accuracy - I support B over A.

• 48 posts
    September 26, 2023 9:40 AM PDT

dorotea said:

A is very attractive. B is ...not.

If VR can move to alpha, beta and then release fairly rapidly using B, as distinct from the never ending creeping progress we have seen for years - and I use the word progress with some concern about its accuracy - I support B over A.

The issue is regardless of the GFX style they still have systems to program in classes to make, worlds to build, quests to make and all that goes with that which has nothing to do with either style for white or grey boxing. Thats my concern.

I do not like their B option. I like A and if they proposed a significantly better looking B option that fits the game better with cleaner visuals then I would be ok, but I am not ok with B as it currently is it looks bad and regardless if people want to say it the way a game looks is a huge barrier of entry for new people. If it looks like a free to play phone game people will not even go past that and not pay any more attention to it.

• 226 posts
    September 26, 2023 10:58 AM PDT

I want to call you "Captain Obvious", but it's not obvious to VR .. One of the choices is beautiful. One of the choices is ugly.

This post was edited by Sweety at September 26, 2023 10:58 AM PDT
    • 1282 posts
    September 26, 2023 11:21 AM PDT

It's actually not as obvious as it seems.  There are plenty of people that choose B, they just aren't in this room with us.  

• 63 posts
    September 26, 2023 11:23 AM PDT
    Which one gets the game released before 2030?
    • 2419 posts
    September 26, 2023 11:27 AM PDT

Heebs said: Which one gets the game released before 2030?

EQ3.

• 226 posts
    September 26, 2023 11:40 AM PDT

Ranarius said:

It's actually not as obvious as it seems.  There are plenty of people that choose B, they just aren't in this room with us.  

Well, niether of us really know. But I would quess it's lke 90/10. Just my opinion. 

• 902 posts
    September 26, 2023 12:05 PM PDT

I love to read all sides to this, and am trying to get a clear steer on people's preferences.  Please vote A, B or C if you are going to post on this thread. I do intend to  collate where we are. Thank you all for your opinion.

• 77 posts
    September 26, 2023 12:16 PM PDT

I find it disingenuous to compare the 2 pictures.  The graphics were just not that great in practice. It would be more comparable to use this screenshot from redbeardflynn's stream last month. *edit* I find the new style better than the actual gameplay graphics before the change.  It will age much better.

This post was edited by Nexira at September 26, 2023 12:20 PM PDT
    • 1282 posts
    September 26, 2023 12:17 PM PDT

chenzeme said:

I love to read all sides to this, and am trying to get a clear steer on people's preferences.  Please vote A, B or C if you are going to post on this thread. I do intend to  collate where we are. Thank you all for your opinion.

I highly recommend going back to their youtube video and turning on the live chat replay.  Also count the comments in chat for those 5 minutes in your tally :)

• 248 posts
    September 26, 2023 1:24 PM PDT

A!

• 226 posts
    September 26, 2023 3:32 PM PDT

A

• 185 posts
    September 26, 2023 3:37 PM PDT

A   and i play this game for the next 20 years (gameplay is great in pre-alpha)

B   and i don't pay for a single month of subscription after release

• 96 posts
    September 26, 2023 6:46 PM PDT

A, I would perfer dark pallete cell shading, or high resolution 2D sprites over B. It has potential to be great with enough detail and good color/lighting, but that takes more time to work on.

• 223 posts
    September 26, 2023 10:48 PM PDT

What Nexira said.

• 902 posts
    September 27, 2023 1:20 AM PDT

Nexira: I find it disingenuous to compare the 2 pictures. 

I find your post very disengenuous.

I simply referenced two pictures that are similar and asking which is preferential to people. I did not even give a context. The pictures were chosen because they were very alike. The are both sourced from the main site. They have not been edited or manipulated in any way except to set the size. They are both supplied by VR on the main site as a showcase for the game graphics. One is pre-change, one post change. If anything, it is slightly negative to A as this is in the dark and so harder to see detail.

Disengenuous!? Not candid Nor sincere!? Man, you are so way off base it is not even funny. I am very sincere about this!!!!

This post was edited by chenzeme at September 27, 2023 9:57 AM PDT
    • 2 posts
    September 27, 2023 1:48 AM PDT

chenzeme said:

Nexira: I find it disingenuous to compare the 2 pictures. 

I find your post very disengenuous.

Disengenuous!? Not candid or sincere!? Man, you are so way off base it is not even funny. I am very sincere about this!!!! 

Easy. He's not calling you disengenuous. He merely says comparing the two is. Don't take it so personally, he wasn't calling you out or anything. Just stating a simple fact. A fact I can't help but agree with honestly. The two are apples and oranges. If you really want a fair and sincere comparison, just put up 2 daytime pics and ask for a vote or "compare and contrats". Having said all that, the new art-style is far superior to my eye. It re-invigorated my interest in this game in a big way!

• 105 posts
    September 27, 2023 3:01 AM PDT

A.

• 902 posts
    September 27, 2023 4:45 AM PDT

Sortis: He's not calling you disengenuous.

And I never claimed Nexira did? I said I find their post way off the mark and their post, disengenuous. Its ok for my post to be called disengenuous but not for me to find the same about Nexira's post? I am fine with people objecting to the two chosen pieces. I am not happy with having my posts called disengenuous. 

Sortis: ...The two are apples and oranges... 

Well, I am happy you think that and I do not agree and I even say why I chose the ones I did. If there were two pics that looked more alike on the main page's Screen Shots, I would have used them, but there are not! I could have chosen this daytime shot:

but then, I am sure someone would have said, well the time of day is different, or the characters are dressed differently.

Even if they are apples and oranges (which I also disagree with)  it is still a valid question.. which fruit do you prefer? Or in this case, style!?

I take it you are a B? 

This post was edited by chenzeme at September 27, 2023 5:32 AM PDT
    • 810 posts
    September 27, 2023 5:35 AM PDT

Edit for Chenzeme's plea, A is superior right now hands down, but B has more potential.  If they can polish and fine tune the style, while turning down the bright colors everywhere, it will be superior to "realistic" graphics that are already outdated. 

I am a huge fan of being more stylized than realistic.  I think it has a longer shelf life.  I had brought up years ago having a painted stylized game trying to mirror the box art or posters of the old D&D - EQ type images.  Aiming for a retro colorized art style instead of realistic features and textures I think would be fantstic. 

That said, I think they need to step up the "gimmick" some of the stuff looks fine but I think they need to ramp it up a bit.  I feel like this was simply ran through a filter, which is an OK first start but if you want to sell a style it needs to be a bit more drastic.  I would also like to see night and low lighting screen shots as it is an important part of the game.

I would be excited if the game ended up looking more like this old Elmore campfire painting.

All that said gameplay is what I care most about.  I know the game may live and die by the art but it's simply not my main focus.  If I have fun in the game and don't ultimately like the art I will simply push for them to update the art in the future, but if the gameplay is bad...  Good luck VR.

This post was edited by Jobeson at September 27, 2023 6:54 AM PDT