Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What did I miss

• 67 posts
    December 10, 2022 3:43 PM PST

I was a backer of the kickstarter, i then made a pledge when they started showing great progress about 5 years ago or so, and then I took a break. I stepped away from the project as my daugther was born. I am back now and trying to get caught up.

Did I miss any huge devolpments, anything that was announced I should know about ,etc?

• 393 posts
    December 11, 2022 11:41 AM PST
    • 1284 posts
    December 14, 2022 2:49 PM PST

I think the best way to get caught up quickly would be to read the newsletters right here:
    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/

The newest is at the top, if you click "more" you can see back to April...that's probably far enough to get up to date with anything big you've missed.  
    The newletters also have the links to the dev streams and such.  

• 273 posts
    December 16, 2022 5:53 AM PST

The good news is you picked the best time to stop paying attention to the game's development, and probably the best time to come back.

The tl;dr is VR spent a couple years refactoring the game. A new high definition rendering pipeline, a custom network stack, and transitioning from hard coded to database values. They also spent a good amount of time in developing new tools for their designers. That is where the game is at now, but it appears a lot of that backend work is now complete, or complete enough for VR to spin up PA sessions once again and more frequently.

VR also received a few large investments this year, which allowed them to hire additional artists and designers.

Right now is a good time to get interested in Pantheon again.

• 1921 posts
    December 16, 2022 6:59 AM PST

eunichron said:...  and transitioning from hard coded to database values. ... 

What database are they using for their persistence layer?

• 144 posts
    December 16, 2022 7:20 AM PST

I can't even imagine a game developed with hard coded stuff... I mean when you what the guys at EQ1 have to do to get upgrades in...

• 67 posts
    December 16, 2022 8:35 AM PST

eunichron said:

The good news is you picked the best time to stop paying attention to the game's development, and probably the best time to come back.

The tl;dr is VR spent a couple years refactoring the game. A new high definition rendering pipeline, a custom network stack, and transitioning from hard coded to database values. They also spent a good amount of time in developing new tools for their designers. That is where the game is at now, but it appears a lot of that backend work is now complete, or complete enough for VR to spin up PA sessions once again and more frequently.

VR also received a few large investments this year, which allowed them to hire additional artists and designers.

Right now is a good time to get interested in Pantheon again.

That is good to know. Yeah I noticied they were going to start doing PA testing every month starting in 2022. Thats crazy. Seem like Pantheon has come a long way since I have been gone

• 9115 posts
    December 16, 2022 2:22 PM PST

Grobobos said:

I can't even imagine a game developed with hard coded stuff... I mean when you what the guys at EQ1 have to do to get upgrades in...

It's actually very common practice for demos and preview builds.