Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Faction Creep Wanted

• 2138 posts
    July 30, 2022 9:59 AM PDT

Counterfleche said:

Jothany said:

Wouldn't it be great when a party sets up camp and stays 'too long' in that spot if suddenly, a large number of the local mobs that the party has been farming came charging out of nowhere at the group, enough to be a significant threat of a wipe but not guaranteed to win IF the party is well organized and practiced at teamwork.

I would love to see that kind of mechanic.  It would really add to the risk and make for some very memorable moments.  This is one of the best ideas I've read in a long time.

I like the mechanic idea as a RNG factor to be aware of in certain dungeons, like, the goblins of suchandso may act this way. On the other hand, if a group camps for "too long" Im not bothered by it because, as a group or person coming in I would see their camp as a "safe area"- nice to know people are there, you can shout and pass info or whatnot, maybe they will stumble upon your corpses or offer drive by buffs, etc. Also, if they are camping a named for a particular item or hogging spawn- that is thwarted by the roaming NPC mechanic and possibly RNG machanic on choice loot, in that it may be on this mob, or that mob or the other mob so you can camp, sure but no guarantee that the item will drop again and again.

Also its the kind of thing where once a group gets established sometimes it can organically stay there, but the players change as people leave and come in, like, the first 6 will be "camping" a spot and then one-by-one the original group leaves to be replaced one-by-one as they leave with other players making the new group in the same spot different entirely than the original group in that spot.

• 888 posts
    July 30, 2022 3:11 PM PDT

One way to help make an intuitive social response feel more realistic and less arbitrary would be to incorporate warning elements that can clue in players to elevated NPC tension.  Clues like these would help, especially for recently arriving players who don't know the risk level:

1. NPCs display increasing agitation/  fear and openly discuss reports of missing/  murdered friends.
    2. Increasing movement and alertness.
    3. Sounds of warning horns / alarms / shouts / groups gathering.
    4. Additional guards (in distinct armor).
    5. Barricades/  barriers / defenses getting set-up

• 888 posts
    July 30, 2022 3:23 PM PDT

One more reason to institute this idea is that it helps fulfill the Quadrinity idea. Increasingly larger groups will ensure crowd control is important.