Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The Uncanny Valley

• 3 posts
    July 22, 2022 5:24 PM PDT

I should start this by saying I am extremely excited for this game. I pledged and follow the updates religiously.

With that being said, am I the only one that feels like the character models are in the uncanny valley? I cant quite put my finger on one reason. Maybe its the stiffness or that they are just in that sweet spot of uncanny... and I know the game is in pre alpha and probably has tons of polishing to go through but its something I havent been able to ignore. 

Here's a video explaining the uncanny valley in video games: Video Games and the Uncanny Valley - YouTube

Thoughts?

• 326 posts
    July 22, 2022 6:19 PM PDT

I think they said more rigging is being worked on for as-yet-to-be-seen races. Perhaps all the new peeps working in the art sphere will help the uncanniness.

• 3852 posts
    July 22, 2022 7:44 PM PDT

Hopefully after the new investment they will staff up some more. Though with part time people working remotely it is hard to interpret other than by seeing progress. They can add 10 positions and it really is just another hour a week from each of them. Or they can add no positions but convert one hour a week people to full time and get a huge boost without us seeing a single new hire. 

This post was edited by dorotea at July 22, 2022 7:45 PM PDT
    • 44 posts
    July 22, 2022 8:57 PM PDT
    I agree with OP that the character models feel a bit off. I don’t expect it will be as polished looking as the UE5 Ashes character creator, but have high hopes for VR’s new hires to help make the characters feel less stiff and maybe give them more realistic skin. I doubt it will come before Alpha, but that’s probably for the best. They need to focus on getting that checklist done so they can bring in even more pledges when they shift to Alpha.
    • 2138 posts
    July 23, 2022 7:18 AM PDT

(1) Every valley shall be exalted- Messiah, Haendel. - YouTube

hoh-hoh-hoh-hoh-HOH, hoh-hoh-hoh-hoh-HOH, hoh-hoh-hoh-hoh-HOH, hoh-hoh-hoh-hoh-HOH, Ex-HOH-hoh-'lted!

For some reason the title made me think of this and it came out very fanboi-ish, heh. (start abt 1min in, unless you want to hear some decent pre-requisite info)

This post was edited by Manouk at July 23, 2022 7:21 AM PDT
    • 101 posts
    July 23, 2022 9:39 AM PDT

Manouk said:

(1) Every valley shall be exalted- Messiah, Haendel. - YouTube

hoh-hoh-hoh-hoh-HOH, hoh-hoh-hoh-hoh-HOH, hoh-hoh-hoh-hoh-HOH, hoh-hoh-hoh-hoh-HOH, Ex-HOH-hoh-'lted!

For some reason the title made me think of this and it came out very fanboi-ish, heh. (start abt 1min in, unless you want to hear some decent pre-requisite info)

Are you submitting this guy as the Jolly Disposition?

• 810 posts
    July 23, 2022 5:24 PM PDT
    I don't see the uncanny valley on images, but videos often have moments where the animations are clearly off. I fully expect it to be addressed at some point, but won't be nitpicking it until alpha-beta.

Until VR shows off a character creator and expression system I don't think it matters much.