Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Skelfs, Darkai, Gnogres, Oh My!

• 888 posts
    July 18, 2022 1:15 AM PDT

Anyone else interested in seeing unexpected NPC racial pairings or races appearing in unexpected places?  

Perhaps a small group of Dark Myr live in a Theonefast slum. Their ancestors could have assisted humans against a common foe, only to be rejected on their return home, forcing them to leave and settle as refugees.  Over the years, the humans have grown more and more resentful. This could be the basis of lots of interesting quests with moral decisions.

A secluded island of Skar and Halflings living together, all dressing and acting like one culture.  They could be shipwreck survivors who have slowly morphed into a bizarre cult.

An Ogre / Gnome ruined fortress with an uneasy truce between the two races. The fortress was ancient and abandoned,  but found with Ogre and Gnome writings and artifacts that appear to indicate some great, ancient power. The two came together to try to figure it out though they don't trust each other. This would offer lots of interesting quests.

An underwater air pocket could open into a Dwarven mine with no exit and be populated by a race of blind, semi-feral Dwarf necromancers who are hundreds of years old and use their Necromancy to keep themselves from permanently dying.

• 393 posts
    July 18, 2022 5:27 AM PDT

Yes but do these semi-feral Dwarves drink ale?

Honestly, I would love to see social outliers and oddities. Make the world interesting, noteworthy and less droll.

• 326 posts
    July 18, 2022 6:48 AM PDT

All fab ideas. Make it so...

• 724 posts
    July 18, 2022 7:37 AM PDT

OMG, hahaha. We would make terrible rulers.  " Hey let's give the peeps on the east side of the mountain a lot of grain and ale. Then let's give the peeps on the west side armor and weapons and see what happens. "

• 3852 posts
    July 18, 2022 8:28 AM PDT

"Yes but do these semi-feral Dwarves drink ale?"

Only the ones with cooking as their primary craft. Ale to the chef!

If they do what LOTRO did they will come up with wierd things that they can use to justify ....non-traditional .... race choices and have them as part of expansions to help sell them. 

• 2752 posts
    July 18, 2022 10:09 AM PDT

I like seeing some limited forms of this (Boomba the Big) in some cities/towns, as long as it remains rare enough to actually cause one to take notice. Though I don't imagine seeing Skar engaging with other races aside from wearing them. 

• 888 posts
    July 18, 2022 10:34 AM PDT

Iksar said:

I like seeing some limited forms of this (Boomba the Big) in some cities/towns, as long as it remains rare enough to actually cause one to take notice. Though I don't imagine seeing Skar engaging with other races aside from wearing them. 

I'm envisioning this to be rare enough to stand out and be interesting.  As far as the Skar go, there needs to be enough room in the lore for them to tolerate others or it won't make sense to see Skar players team up with others.

• 2752 posts
    July 18, 2022 12:09 PM PDT

Counterfleche said:

I'm envisioning this to be rare enough to stand out and be interesting.  As far as the Skar go, there needs to be enough room in the lore for them to tolerate others or it won't make sense to see Skar players team up with others.

That doesn't seem to be the case in the lore. Seems the other races have extremely limited information about the Skar (via rescued slave(s)) and otherwise see them as brutal and dangerous foes. They seem far less positioned to play nice with the other races than Iksar had to the rest of the races in EQ. 

Well they’re not trying to get an invite to the Court of Lords in Thronefast, if that’s what your asking.

Yeah, I mean Skar wear blood like body paint and filth like foundation. There is no consideration given to any outsider’s opinion on their appearance, in fact the worse another race thinks of a Skar the better. Terror is a weapon of their warfare.

This is a race whose greatest hour as a species was to rage like a plague of sentient, man-sized locusts, ravaging and pillaging everything they laid their eye and foot upon. They see you and I as nothing more than prey and opportunity, and the more fear they can inspire -- which starts with reputation and appearance -- the more likely they are to emerge victorious.

Skar wear body parts as trophies instead of medals.

• 1479 posts
    July 18, 2022 1:18 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Though I don't imagine seeing Skar engaging with other races aside from wearing them. 

It all opens up Skar herding halflings for easy to reach clothes.

• 393 posts
    July 19, 2022 12:31 AM PDT

Iksar said:

Though I don't imagine seeing Skar engaging with other races aside from wearing them. 

I imagine a Hippy Skar Flower Cult in the vein of The Tinkers with a side of Carny.

This post was edited by OakKnower at July 19, 2022 12:31 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    July 19, 2022 5:10 AM PDT

OakKnower said:

Iksar said:

I imagine a Hippy Skar Flower Cult in the vein of The Tinkers with a side of Carny.

Wonderful, OakKnower and I will be over the hill eating mushrooms for the next 48 hours, see you all laterz 

• 2138 posts
    July 19, 2022 8:45 AM PDT

Id like to see discovered symbiotic relationships or alternate factioned racials/sub-racials. Like...a half dead spriggan (think redwood with cave in base? like tunnels cut through for cars in old pictures of california?) where a bear lives in the cave, where semi-sentient hornets live in branches. if so motivated the spriggan can move- with the bear inside and the hornets buzzing around. Hornet honey feeds bear, hornets opnly tolerate said bear and make a small dummy hive just for bear to harvest, bear fertilizes spriggan, spriggan provides shelter. If any one of these are threatened the balance is thrown off and motivates all to protect (a la Avatar)

a small sect of orcs aligned with an obscure faction line of Ogres? Kind of thing.

• 393 posts
    July 20, 2022 3:27 PM PDT

StoneFish said:

OakKnower said:

Iksar said:

Wonderful, OakKnower and I will be over the hill eating mushrooms for the next 48 hours, see you all laterz 

Just please be careful with those mushrooms Stonefish. Some can be poisonous and others.....

We all need you to stick around and remain efficaciously and emprically preposterous.

• 888 posts
    July 21, 2022 12:17 AM PDT

Mauvais_Oeil said:

Iksar said:

It all opens up Skar herding halflings for easy to reach clothes.

Sounds like The Time Machine, with Skar as the Morlocks.

• 888 posts
    July 22, 2022 12:07 AM PDT

One more idea: you find a Skar and an Archai chained together and standing next to a murdered Dark Myr. Both are behaving quite suspiciously and you need to decide who to trust (if any). The twist could be that they're working together and it's really a trick to draw you in deeper to then turn on you.