Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Appreciation - What are you grateful for in gaming?

• 9115 posts
    July 14, 2022 3:33 AM PDT

Community Appreciation - What is something or someone you're grateful for and want to show appreciation to this week in gaming?

• 902 posts
    July 14, 2022 4:20 AM PDT

Nicky, my partner. She loved D&D back in the day but has never played MMOs until I introduced her to them fairly recently. Now we are playing EQ2 while we wait for Pantheon so that she can gain an understanding of MMOs and how they (generally) operate. I really am grateful for everything she does.

• 1429 posts
    July 14, 2022 4:45 AM PDT
    honest, passionate and love for the game players that share their knowledge and emotion.
    including toxic and troll players.
    nothing in this life is always positive. there are winners and losers. and surely, not everyone gets along.
    yet when we gamers still game after the heat, accepted our difference and can coexist together in this space, that makes us a better person, a better neighbor and a better player.
    that is a thing of beauty in my eyes and something i greatly appreciate.
    keep gaming gamers and git gud.
    • 2756 posts
    July 14, 2022 6:23 AM PDT

I am grateful that VR persevere in making a new 'old school' MMORPG.

I know, I know: Fanboi comment.

But seriously, I've been wanting an improvement on Everquest Classic since Everquest Classic Plane of Power and, unfortunately, EQ2 and pretty much everything that followed weren't 'improvements' in the ways that count and were, in fact, a decline in quality, in my not-so-humble opinion.

So I am grateful that VR want pretty much everything I do for the genre and for their commitment to their tenets and vision in the face of a fair amount of criticism for bucking modern MMO and gaming trends. Also for their courage, because, though I very much believe it will be a big success, there was and is a certain element of risk in going indy and not targeting mass-market blandness.

I am grateful to the old old school gamers out there that make this venture viable. Also to the new old school gamers that see how those values will make for a great experience even if they haven't played that kind of game before. Also to the converts to come and I know there will be many.

I'm really looking forward to mentoring (whether there's a system or not) in game and helping grow the community.

Yep, that got even more fanboi-ish, but I genuinely feel it so *sticks tongue out and blows raspberry* if you don't.

• 1921 posts
    July 14, 2022 7:17 AM PDT

IMO:

Things like this, which came from this, which is the result of communication with a very transparent development team, who I appreciate immensely.

• 135 posts
    July 14, 2022 8:48 AM PDT

That gaming exists at all.

My entire life is built on the foundation of video games as my primary hobby. I literally would not be where I am today if not for gaming and video games. Would my life be better or worse? That's impossible to say, obviously. But I'm here.

• 33 posts
    July 14, 2022 9:09 AM PDT

Final Fantasy 2 (American release, FF 4 in Japan).  Up until that time, gaming for me was making a character jump on mushrooms,  shooting aliens in  a side scrolling action game, or beating up thugs on the street.  I started playing Final Fantasy 2 at  around 11 years old, and it was a milestone moment for me.  It was a moment I realized that gaming could really tell a story, filled with adventure, plot twists, betrayal, redemption, and sacrifice.  Gaming could be a true form of storytelling that was totally engrossing.  I don't mean to sound dramatic, but it was a defining moment in my life.  And it was gaming that introduced me to the love of my life.  So yes, I am forever grateful for that.

• 3852 posts
    July 14, 2022 9:27 AM PDT

"Nicky, my partner. She loved D&D back in the day but has never played MMOs until I introduced her to them fairly recently. Now we are playing EQ2 while we wait for Pantheon so that she can gain an understanding of MMOs and how they (generally) operate. I really am grateful for everything she does."

This hits quite close to home. Spouse and I spent a lot of time playing D&D and then AD&D. I spent far more time on computer roleplaying games when they came out though spouse was no slouch. When MUDs and then MMOs came out spouse slowly lured me over from the single player side to the multiplayer side.

EQ2 is a good choice IMO. Given the love of D&D you also might take a look at DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online) though it has a very steep cost if one decides to get the various expansions and extras. Worse than LOTRO used to be and far worse than LOTRO is now (DDO is run by the same company that runs LOTRO).

• 2138 posts
    July 14, 2022 11:13 AM PDT

Raid leader, leadership and synergy with class members and most importantly the majority of individuals (mostly non-boxes I think) that show up that like to take raids seriously.

Also those that mess up royally and we end up all laughing about it, even the person who messed up.

And those in Uber #1 guilds that secretly have alts in "lesser" guilds so the "lesser" guilds can advance and try some harder content and get loots and are not sore because of no hope and the cost RMT'ers put on things.

• 30 posts
    July 14, 2022 7:57 PM PDT
    The evolution of game engines and game developers that have surpassed the movie industry in every way. Playing Pac-Man for the first time to seeing Unreal 5 being used in cinema as back ground scenes in real-time during shooting. Game developers writing stories so good you rant and rave at the tv as the story unfolds. Scripts that are so touching that your eyes start getting misty or chuckle as the banter between characters happens. Just love the thought of game developers no longer being burdened designing their own engine but using someone else's with huge library assets. This allows them to become artists and paint the world they wish to create while making it as human as possible.