Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Opinion - Animal Taming

• 9115 posts
    June 27, 2022 3:30 AM PDT

Community Opinion - Animal Taming - What will your first tamed animal be in Pantheon and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters #games

• 839 posts
    June 27, 2022 3:55 AM PDT

A racoon who shall be named Poly Low, good early on but eventually rendered useless ;)

• 93 posts
    June 27, 2022 4:21 AM PDT

If something like a saber tooth tiger exists... I think that will be the answer! Oh.. and why?  Because saber tooth tigers are wicked!

This post was edited by Vaultarn at June 27, 2022 4:24 AM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    June 27, 2022 4:22 AM PDT

A bear. I shall call him Minus Mauler. The why is obvious ;)

Though I have to ask, to a certain extent, you tell me!  Did I miss something?  What *can* be tamed?  By who?  What can they do with them?  Ride them?  Send them into combat?  Use them to hunt?  Intriguing...

• 1921 posts
    June 27, 2022 6:18 AM PDT

disposalist said: ... Though I have to ask, to a certain extent, you tell me!  Did I miss something?  What *can* be tamed?  By who?  What can they do with them?  Ride them?  Send them into combat?  Use them to hunt?  Intriguing...

IMO:

Sure would be nice to know, yep.

• 902 posts
    June 27, 2022 6:26 AM PDT

I am asuming this is referring to Ranger animal taming, in which case, Wolf or Snow Leopard.

• 326 posts
    June 27, 2022 6:42 AM PDT

Enchanter charms Ranger. Tamed Ranger animal eats Ranger. Enchanter calls it a day.

• 6 posts
    June 27, 2022 7:18 AM PDT

Can we tame a dragon or wyvern like creature? that would be sick!

• 454 posts
    June 27, 2022 7:32 AM PDT

Depending on what class can tame animals, and what animals can be tamed...A horse for travel would be nice, or a pack mule for hauling.  If we have a pet to choose I'd like an eagle.  An eagle can scout ahead and "communicate" mobs ahead, and maybe dive bomb the mob as needed.

• 1287 posts
    June 27, 2022 8:18 AM PDT

I hadn't planned on taming any animals.  They'll already be friendly to my character.

• 810 posts
    June 27, 2022 8:25 AM PDT

Boo Kilsin Boo!  Shame Kilsin into making a taming video because this is just a cruel question! 

Who gets to tame?  Are druids animal tamers?  What benefits are there?  I assume this isn't the mounts? Pack animals to carry more?  Guard dogs to alert you of incoming threats?  Combat pets?  Can I tame a pig to help me find truffles?  Are tamed animals companions you bring back or more like charms that are gone when they die?

• 363 posts
    June 27, 2022 9:12 AM PDT

chenzeme said:

I am asuming this is referring to Ranger animal taming, in which case, Wolf or Snow Leopard.

Rangers don't tame animals in Pantheon, at least not in the same sense as a Hunter in WoW. This is related to something else, presumably for all classes.

• 326 posts
    June 27, 2022 10:12 AM PDT

Ok, fine.

No boat available, tame a sea turtle.

Long drop, tame a creature that can glide down.

Oh so dark cave, tame a glowing salamander.

Long way to go, tame a fast animal to ride.

Climbing skill not up to snuff, and no rogue pet in group, tame a spider to climb up and drop down a silken strand.

so on and so forth.

This post was edited by Thunderleg at June 27, 2022 10:13 AM PDT
    • 768 posts
    June 27, 2022 11:34 AM PDT

Octopus , just imagine the utility options !

• 3852 posts
    June 27, 2022 1:17 PM PDT

By tame do you mean make friends with? Where the animal still controls itself and does what it wants? But considers my wishes.

Or do you mean in the usual MMO sense where the animal becomes a mind-controlled slave, even fighting to the death for no cause of its own while the master shrugs off the loss - I can always enslave a new one after all - one spell and it will appear to thake the place of the one that has become pieces of crunched body parts?

• 2756 posts
    June 27, 2022 1:24 PM PDT

Thunderleg said:

Long drop, tame a creature that can glide down.

Oh yes! Tame a gas bat!!!

• 2078 posts
    June 27, 2022 1:38 PM PDT

disposalist said: Did I miss something?  What *can* be tamed?  By who?  What can they do with them?  Ride them?  Send them into combat?  Use them to hunt?  Intriguing...

We've been teased maybe 3 times that I know of with comments by VR about the 'free mounting system' where players - apparently any players - can 'tame and ride' a creature they encounter in the open world 'for a period of time'. Almost nothing more in the way of details has been revealed. The last mention of it was by Joppa in the June DRT posted last Thursday. He said it here: https://youtu.be/AuabfJQ0d3w?t=1605

I plan on taming/riding a shark!

(or whatever passes for that on Terminus)

This post was edited by Jothany at June 27, 2022 1:40 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    June 27, 2022 3:54 PM PDT

*imagines seeing a group of 3 , level 4's , showing off their newly tamed: rooster, armadillo and sand-crab and discussing where to go with their uber, extra dps pets.*

*edit*

*overhears same group resting just outside a 2 room hut infested with rats, some rabid. "I didn't know what the tamed pets would do, at least the rooster pecks and scratches. I can see its doing some damage, the crowing I could do without but it only crows when something gets too close." " Yeah, my crab is ok I guess, doesn't do alot of damage but when it gets its claws on something it slows it down a bit which helps I guess- I didnt see your armadillo doing anything."  " I Know! once we started fighting something it got scared and balled up! I thought it would bite or do something. Now look, its poking out and hungry I have to feed it. Im going to let it go"*   ~a few moments later~ "we were able to kill a rabid last time, this time around it wiped us clean I dont get it *grp thinks* the only thing different is the armadillo think you can tame another?" - I'll try. *Next fight* "Oh! when the armadillo balls up we all get +2 AC!- ohhhhh." " Armadillo's are pretty cool then. I hear they carry leprosy. Their body temperatures are naturally low so leprosy can thrive but their armor makes them resistant so its not good to touch an armadillo even though they look so cute- with those ears."  *

This post was edited by Manouk at July 1, 2022 7:58 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    June 27, 2022 4:55 PM PDT

Jothany said:

disposalist said: Did I miss something?  What *can* be tamed?  By who?  What can they do with them?  Ride them?  Send them into combat?  Use them to hunt?  Intriguing...

We've been teased maybe 3 times that I know of with comments by VR about the 'free mounting system' where players - apparently any players - can 'tame and ride' a creature they encounter in the open world 'for a period of time'. Almost nothing more in the way of details has been revealed. The last mention of it was by Joppa in the June DRT posted last Thursday. He said it here: https://youtu.be/AuabfJQ0d3w?t=1605

Thank you :)

• 1921 posts
    June 27, 2022 6:57 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

IMO:

So, Kilsin, what's the "period of time" that's currently being tested in Pre-Alpha, for the duration of these temporary mounts?

• 560 posts
    June 27, 2022 8:47 PM PDT

Hmm well I am not in Pre-Alpha. I guess I have seen some animals in videos but I had hoped seeing this is a fantasy game they were all place holders and when the game is released non of the creatures would have names I had ever heard of before. This makes picking one all the more dificult. So going off that assumption I would pick a Warplich maybe? Sounds like it could be cool.

Oh and I am with others we know almost nothing about why we might want one. But if it is for travel Warplich still sounds like it might be ok.

• 2756 posts
    June 28, 2022 3:01 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Jothany said:

Yeah I've seen all that, but the confident, definite way Kilsin phrased the question was almost as if this is a known feature and they are wondering how we might use it hehe.

A bit like asking "where will your first rocket ride in Terminus be to and why?". I would naturally be responding "What?! We can do what?!" not "oh, what a curious concept, let's have some fun discussing that" hehe.

I should know better by now, I suppose, that Kilsin's "Community Opinion" posts are just "fun discussion prompter - don't read anything into it".

This post was edited by disposalist at June 28, 2022 3:04 AM PDT
    • 4 posts
    June 28, 2022 4:47 AM PDT

A bunny rabbit and I will call him George. 

• 3852 posts
    June 28, 2022 8:19 AM PDT

Good idea. Truly hare raising.

• 2756 posts
    June 28, 2022 8:33 AM PDT

Troicheil said:

A bunny rabbit and I will call him George. 

Will you hug him and squeeze and pet him and hug him?