Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Possible Inventory Beans?

• 135 posts
    June 10, 2022 7:23 AM PDT

Hi all,

Minus briefly showed off his inventory during last night's stream:

I actually paid 0 attention to it last night, you know we see inventories so frequently in games that after a while you don't see them, but on rewatching the stream I realized things looked different to me. However it's been a while since I last watched the inventory UI stream.

One thing I know was mentioned in an offhand comment: Attribute rebalances. We can see that here. Previously I believe everyone started at 1 in everything and then had a few points to spend, and maybe there were some racial differences. That's clearly been changed as we can see from Minus's stats.

Have we seen a Mastery XP Bar before?

But look at that huge list of skills! Obviously he can't learn them all but we can still see them which I find interesting. And we can see his max skill level is quite low. 3 for most things. How much will that go up per level? I noticed he was earning incremental skill levels in chat (0.1, 0.1, 0.2, 0.1 etc) and I thought that was kind of dumb but I didn't realize that the max was only 2 or 3 so it makes more sense now. However, I still think if you're going to show that kind of progress you might as well move the decimal over and make it a max of 30, but that's just my opinion.

Plus the starting resistances... base crit chance and accuracy, the haste stat etc. I really need to go back and watch the last inventory or gameplay stream to see what has actually changed and what I'm only just now noticing (see previous comment about not actually seeing things because they're always there.)

• June 10, 2022 7:48 AM PDT

Always love seeing the community pick apart the hidden beans :)

Just a quick point of clarification before anyone reads too much into it: some of the melee stats (specifically Weapon Damage, Attack Power, and Accuracy) aren't currently displaying their actual values in this window due to changes to how those values are calculated and therefore how they are displayed. Rest assured we aren't starting players with a 20% accuracy rating!

Also re: incremental skill-ups, the incremental gains are just reflecting progress, but you don't actually see a benefit until you actually reach a whole number / integer. So for example, a skill of 1.6 is still an effective skill of 1, but the increments are helping us give players a sense of building up towards that next gain - a level within a level, if you will. If we moved the needle to just multiply our skills by 10, not only would you see some ridiculous numbers at the end (1500 skill at 50), but we'd either be giving incremental power increases that we don't intend to with each point, or we'd only be giving players actual power increases every 10 skill points which would yield all sorts of confusion from players who don't understand why their skill points aren't actually providing any tangible benefit.

• 135 posts
    June 10, 2022 7:58 AM PDT

Thanks for the response Tehom!

It makes perfect sense that you wouldn't see any actual improvement until you skilled up to an integer. Just like you don't get any stat increases until you level up, even if you're at 99.99% of XP toward the next level. But personally, as far as skills are concerned, I'd rather not see that kind of incremental progress, especially if it's not displayed in the skill window. If you're going to give us a little XP bar under each skill that might be fun and less confusing than being at 4.20 in your Ennervation skill but actually you're just at 4 with 20% progress toward the next point. Being at 4.2/5 implies the same to me as being at 42/50 in a skill.

That's just me being nitpicky, though.

• 135 posts
    June 10, 2022 8:39 AM PDT

I went back and looked at the most recent gameplay stream I could find. The Cohhcarnage stream from August 2021.

I'm just now noticing my mouse is in the shot but I don't feel like re-doing the screenshot.

So the Mastery XP Bar is there. But look at those Attributes! Quite the difference between then and now. Same with resistances.

No skill window and the weight appears to be just a placeholder, which is what I thought. I distinctly remembered Cohh being at 35/45.

Personally I like the implication of the attribute changes. It still makes each point of an attribute have a lot of weight but also gives you a little bit of room for customization. I mean... just look at poor Cohh with his 0 Charisma...

• 252 posts
    June 10, 2022 9:00 AM PDT

In D&D an ability score of 10 is a modifier of 0.  I wonder if before it was displaying the modifier but now it is displaying the score. If the number displayed is a modifier, than I would say a +8 seems really high, and a +0 seems just right on the low end. A +0 essentially means that you have the same charisma as the average sentient being.

They could have bumped up all of the numbers so that they could have negative modifiers without players actually seeing a negative number. For instance, if they make the global baseline at a +6 than a person with a +5 is essentially a -1.

This post was edited by Ruinar at June 10, 2022 9:01 AM PDT
    • 326 posts
    June 10, 2022 9:21 AM PDT

thx for the investigative reporting

• 394 posts
    June 10, 2022 10:00 AM PDT

I feel like a UI element could relay the 0.x of a skill increase better than just feeding it to the chat.
    If it was me there could be a circle around the skill level that fills 1/10 at a time until full leading to your skill up.

But thats just QL thats way down the road right now and seeing it active in chat works better for development tracking.

• 135 posts
    June 10, 2022 10:07 AM PDT

Gintoki88 said:

I feel like a UI element could relay the 0.x of a skill increase better than just feeding it to the chat.
    If it was me there could be a circle around the skill level that fills 1/10 at a time until full leading to your skill up.

But thats just QL thats way down the road right now and seeing it active in chat works better for development tracking.

Just being in to make sure everything is working is fine. I just see it as avoidable chat spam.

• 612 posts
    June 12, 2022 4:14 AM PDT

Just a quick question for @Tehom if you're still reading this thread.

It was discussed way back in the day that VR was totally ok with UI modification only addons. In more recent times, Dev's have answered questions about UI tweaking by vague "You will be able to alter your UI to a degree."

I just wanted to clarify if VR's plans are to just have a build in UI tweaking tool (ie let us move things around, change colors, change scale, etc...) but not allow UI mods/addons. Or will there be a proper UI API which players can use to create their own custom UI's and upload them to Mod sites for other players to download and install?

• 256 posts
    June 12, 2022 1:46 PM PDT

I think it was stated in a stream or dev-roundtable that racial stats would be coming online.  I think part of what we are seeing here is the basic human stat allocation. It's hard to know if any additional points based on class, personal allocation, or armor are also involved. 

• 135 posts
    June 13, 2022 6:15 AM PDT

I decided to dig a little deeper Re:Attributes. My brain works in funny ways. I knew I remembered something about Attributes being rebalanced or something and I thought it was in a Producer's Letter so I checked there first and I found this from November 2021:

Attribute & Stat Adjustments

The importance of individual stats in Pantheon – be they core attributes, skills, or other modifiers – is paramount to creating the iconic and desirable itemization model we have in mind. Individual point gains should feel like a noticeable improvement, and the tighter we constrain those numbers while enhancing their effects, the more we can ensure that loot maintains value and longevity.

We have overhauled these aspects of the game to create better clarity in what individual attributes contribute to, and to promote desirability in attributes that may not otherwise be considered ‘core’ to a given class. By taking a ground-up approach to these improvements, we have also made substantial enhancements to the underlying formulas and sub-stats that enable us to create items with even more nuanced benefits, as well as significant gains to the effects of buffs and debuffs that influence these stats.

Well that's more like a reassurance that they're maintaining the original thought process of making stats as important as possible while keeping the numbers low (does Tehom hate big numbers and he can not lie?) I like the sound of this a lot. It allows for interesting itemization. Like maybe at the top end a Warrior doesn't just aim for whatever has the highest AC, but also if her Wisdom, for example, raises one or more of her resistances, she might want to compromise and take a lower AC helmet that has Wisdom and Constitution on it. This also allows for future power increases without bloating stats too much. For example, that Warrior found her Con/Wis helm but sacrificed some AC. Then an expansion or a patch adds new content and she's got a few more helmets to choose from, all of which have three stats on them. So now she can add Str, Dex or Cha to her Con/Wis combo, thus increasing her overall power without making her AC & HP bigger. I think in an RPG where character progression is king that power creep is unavoidable but we can at least slow it down a lot.

Where was I?

Uh.

Oh right.

Anyway, I did a little more digging and I went back to the most recent DRT with Tehom:

"[...] and so while that's not something we're ready to commit to right now, um... I can say that there are now, you know, deeper differences between the races than just what classes are available to them. Um. So one fairly substantial change between the last Pre-Alpha session and the current build is that our races now have a much greater degree of variance between their attributes. Um. Not just the ones that they start with but also how their attributes grow over the span of leveling. You know, these differences aren't so substantial that players can never overcome them. It's again similar to the weapon skills where we want there to be flavor and we want plaers to experience the game in different ways, but we also want them to be able to offset those weaknesses. Um. But. That's that is about driving two players of the same class, but, you know, two different races to different objectives in game, right? Creating, um, different journeys, right? Different experiences even though they are, you know, theoretically similar."

How can my brain remember that this was talked about (mere weeks ago) but not who said it or when? Ugh.

Well looking at the first thing I quoted from the Newletter from last year and looking at what Tehom posted, I don't think this represents an actual change in the game, but rather they have now brought online a system that they've been working on for a while and has always intended to be there. If we go further back, all the way to May 2020, we see this:
    • Player starting attributes (before Racial modifiers) now start at 1.

So now we can see the implementation of several things they've been working on come together, even if we didn't notice it at first. Meaningful attributes, meaningful choices in your race selection, and the fight against power bloat/creep (by keeping the numbers small while still giving you a sense of progression.)

This post was edited by Byproducts at June 13, 2022 6:16 AM PDT