Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Feedback from watching new monk video

• 888 posts
    June 11, 2022 2:20 PM PDT

disposalist said:

I read this through one more time and wonder if there shouldn't be a new genre invented so as to avoid argument and confusion. Maybe "Modern MMORPG" should be recognised as different to "MMORPG", just like many words appear to be used these days to mean things they really do not.

I guess the problem is the changes to the genre were gradual and sometimes the effects unrealised until later. Also marketing a game as "not really an MMORPG, but kinda" doesn't ring well hehe.

I think maybe we should use the phrase "Old School MMORPG" when we actually want "MMORPG" to mean "Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Game". It doesn't seem to quite mean that anymore, anyway.

Perhaps we should have new terms to better differentiate.

MMOTG = MMO Themed Gaming

MMOIIW = MMO Immersive Interdependent World

• 256 posts
    June 12, 2022 2:37 PM PDT

Grimseethe said:

This video to be exact, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFiPnbKYIA

Overall a good video, just want to touch on some things.

1. Please consider removing as much grey as possible from the UI, actionbars all of it, grey isnt a good colour, there is a reason no one has used it since windows 95, it puts the player to sleep.

2. The writing when mousing over things in the interface or checking buffs seems very small, maybe the actual game is bigger than watching it on youtube fullscreen, but i was squinting my eyes half the time and i have perfect vision:)

3. That rabbit and the rat seem a bit strong, i get that the character Minus was using was lvl 1 just starting out, but theyre small rodents and he had to eat after every fight.
    I love challenge, i do, but if players need to eat and drink after every fight with a rat...even if its just for the first 10 hours and then you get strong, the drop off of player in that first 10 hours will be huge, gamers just arent like they used to be, after 23 years, ive found time and patience of the average gamer has gone way down and im not saying cater the game to those people, but find a middle ground.

Maybe have people need to eat after every second rat, because the first one didnt almost kill them, also kinda breaks immersion the thought of a rabbit posing any threat to anyone.

4.Please dont make us type /sit in order to eat, im not sure if thats what im seeing, but eating food should just automatically make you sit, if needed, trust me on this, nothing wears out faster than novelty, always be thinking  years ahead.

5.When you open a vendor your bags should automatically open.

6. The damage and healing numbers should appear at the side, look at the addon for WOW called Mikscrolling battle text https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/mik-scrolling-battle-text/screenshots
    This
    is the perfect way to display numbers.

7.The two text boxes in each corner could really be made into one that has multiple tabs, most people arent going to care about the information shown.

Thats all for now, keep up the good work.

1. I don't really mind the UI. I think it's subtle in a classic way and it looks nice.

2. This is probably something to do with UI settings. I would assume that there is a way to increase the actual size and text font for people who need that utility.

3. Food is a long-term buff and there is a stacking regen ramp the longer you sit. I was also happy to see mobs that are challenging at a low level. It really supports resource management and being able to decide just how much HP you need before engaging in another encounter. I think it fits in well with their "While you can solo, things are going to be more efficient in a group." mentality. I don't really want to see them decide to sacrifice challenge in favor of catering to the modern MMO crowd. 

4. There will probably be hotkeys for things like this, so you don't have to type /sit.

5. I think there should be the option for this, either the ability to toggle, a hotkey, or the option to set specific bags that instantly pop up. I would also like the ability to designate specific bags for specific purposes. Like having a bag that is just for consumable items, one for gathered items, one for armor... etc.

6. I was mostly ok with the placement of the numbers. Personally, I would like the ability to change the color of the incoming damage to red just to better differentiate what is happening.

7. This is probably something that can be found in the UI system. 

This post was edited by FatedEmperor at June 12, 2022 2:39 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    June 13, 2022 7:40 AM PDT

I liked the pacing of newbie fighting. What I saw, was Minus narrating what a normal player would discover if they jumped from char select screen and played for the first time. Like, try playing the initial fights with the sound off and you'll see what I mean, even with the mouse-overs thats the kind of thing I would be doing if I was too eager to jump in and gave a cursory glance at the first few "how to play" pages of the manual. Nothing that increasing the aspect ratio wont resolve, even for glasses wearing far-sighted folks. 

I felt it also gave me a taste of how tough things  are "in general. VR suggested thatyou should be able to solo things at your level up to level 5, but it would be a challenge. At level 1, the same level things you can attack based on your own intuition (and "Con"- ing) should be a smidge lower, just for confidence boosting. I mean even at higher levels I woud "warm up" sometimes at slightly lower levels while LFG'ing. Confidence boosters.  So imagining and assuming,  at Level 5 IF you conquered a small named level 5 wolf that may lurk just under an aqueduct area to the right of thronefast bridge, that would feel like an accomplishment and it may have a nice level appropriate - and beast appropriate- item. But, making the same attempt at an even con at level 6 might be futile unless you had help- which you would learn. But the confidence gained from levels 1-5 would be enough to get you used to your classes ways and play appropriately.

I also felt this need to sit and eat, was unique to the monk class and it makes sense. They are physically strenuous so they would need to even take a moments rest and eat some calories. Like people in the military I have heard that can fall asleep any where, deeply, for minutes or hours at a time just because of the stress training- their bodies dont know the next time they can get restorative sleep so they adapt by being able to conk-out in an instant. 

From  QoL perspective, personally, I like rummaging through bags but only if my bags are organized. I try to organize my inventory from day one. But, at the same time I am not a fan of the "Inventory management mini-game" that ends up  becoming a thing. So as a compromise, Maybe have only those items come up that a given merchant can buy when clicking on the merchant? and even having some items greyed yellowed out that are unsellable/purchasable due to faction? / Deity (purple) / race (<- ooh! needs faction X2 just for this merchant but racism is made clear - green) / class (red). So you would still have to find a merchant that does and also, you would still have to find the gaps in your bags for the stuff that did sell, so a smaller inventory management mini game but a more dynamic one I think.