Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Joppa and immersion examples

• 644 posts
    April 22, 2022 9:07 AM PDT

I was listening to this  interview with Chris (Joppa) Perkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZjvDAIC2lE

In it, he spoke very clearly about how a game makes you *FEEL* and how that can lead to "fun".  Chris gave an example of being literally scared to move in the game "Escape from Tarkov" 

That made me want to post about the most immersive (and simultaneously low budget style) game.

If you have never played the 1998 game Thief: The Dark Project, you definitely should.    It has very rudimentary graphics and animations (even for its time) but it is, in my opinion, the most immersive game ever made.

It was one (if not *THE* one) progenitor of the stealth game genre, which Assasin's Creed then took to popularity.

But if you want to see how a game can *FEEL* and how it can be fun even if you are too scared to move, and it isnt a puzzle solving game, nor a hack-and-slash game.  It is a stealth and strategy FPS style RPG.

Don't try modern variants.  Get the old 1998 original and spend 2 hours playing it........

• 326 posts
    April 22, 2022 9:10 AM PDT

I played the original Thief: The Dark Project and the "feel" of that game was excellent. Fallout and Skyrim also had great "feels" as well, in no small part thanks to the music.

• 454 posts
    April 22, 2022 10:52 AM PDT

Thief...is probably my favorite computer game.  I agree with fazool, it really outperforms its graphics.  It had sneaky scary vibes down cold.  It is a high mark for Pantheon to stretch for. It will be fun to see if that feeling can be generated in an MMORPG. 

• 1287 posts
    April 22, 2022 5:21 PM PDT

I dunno, I'd have to say my most immersive moment was playing the 1989 NES Friday the 13th game, the moment Freddy Krueger jumped out and slashed me to bits.  lol

I feel like immersion has more to do with me, my state of mind, and my ability to believe, and how interested I am in the game/story than the game itself (not to say that the game design plays no part, just not the biggest part).  

• 2752 posts
    April 25, 2022 2:56 PM PDT

First person camera has a lot to do with it. 

• 58 posts
    April 28, 2022 2:22 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

I dunno, I'd have to say my most immersive moment was playing the 1989 NES Friday the 13th game, the moment Freddy Krueger jumped out and slashed me to bits.  lol

I feel like immersion has more to do with me, my state of mind, and my ability to believe, and how interested I am in the game/story than the game itself (not to say that the game design plays no part, just not the biggest part).  

Nail on the head, Rana.

There are definitely things that help us get into an immersive mindset, but in the end, it is our mindset that dictates immersion. There is a large degree of intentionality that enables it. Overall, it's far easier to *not* be immersed, to refuse it or simply not subscribe to it. When it comes to gaming, immersion is more of a handshake between game and player, where if either one does not reach out, the magic doesn't happen at all.

This post was edited by Desryn at April 28, 2022 2:22 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    May 3, 2022 5:01 AM PDT

Whilst it true, you can get immersed even in a board game, never mind a more interactive and well-presented computer game, if the players indulge their imagination and 'go with' the game design, there are definitely things games can do.

I guess the answer is how 'easy' does a game make it to 'buy in' to the theme? How much do you need to engage the mechanics to play?

It occurs to me that the second is perhaps more important and the reason 'old' games could be so immersive, even though they were so primitive with graphics and sound.

Because they were difficult, you had to understand and utilise effectively all the abilities and mechanics. You had to 'know' your character and 'know' the world, else you couldn't progress.

I'm hoping this is part of what Pantheon encapsulates.

A 'return' to 'challenging' content will be part of what gives Pantheon greater immersion.