Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon classification on MMORPG.com

• 41 posts
    April 11, 2022 9:03 PM PDT

Had a discussion with a friend of mine today and he couldn't understand why I was so intensely waiting on "just another themepark mmo".

I explained that in no way was Pantheon being developed as a themepark game. And presented my evidence of Parting the Veil E2.

He presented his of: https://www.mmorpg.com/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen It has it listed as a themepark. I just bring it up as it may shy people away or maybe I'm being an alarmist.

Funny thing is second bullet point after description says sandbox MMO. But you have to scroll way down after ads to see it. I wonder if anyplace else lists Pantheon incorrectly.

Edit on PC as phone messed this up pretty good.

This post was edited by MalFelis at April 12, 2022 9:04 AM PDT
    • 56 posts
    April 11, 2022 11:02 PM PDT

Something with the hyperlink you posted is interfering with quick reply and replying to this thread in general -at least on mobile.

Looking back at Asmon's original first impression, long before the massive changes and improvements to pre-alpha, I think this will be a game lots of people misclassify until they can get their hands on the Alpha/Beta/Launch version of the game. Asmon had a very hard time looking past the place holder graphics the game had at the time. That's one of the biggest road blocks Pantheon has had being a game in open development - some people just discount it immediately when looking at surface level features like the graphics.

There is so much misinformation and wishful thinking from uninformed enthusiasts its hard to know exactly what Pantheon will be without delving deeper. I think Bazgrim, the Pantheon Plus team, Nathan Napalm, developer streams, etc have tried their best to explain the vision but honestly the scope and scale of this game is very difficult to explain in an easily digestible presentation. Even when I explain my excitement to friends and family it's very hard to encapsulate what Pantheon is aiming to be... their eyes start glazing over after a few minutes. Some core concepts have to be experienced and not just explained.

Joppa mentioned a feeling of immenence for Pantheon in 2022. I hope that means Alpha is expected by the end of the year or early-mid 2023. Once players and reviewers get their hands on the Alpha I forsee a huge spike in popularity as we all start to understand what Pantheon is about from experience. I think VR knows they really need to have a much more polished game in terms of graphics, animations and core systems in their Alpha - this will really be a very important and exciting time for Pantheon. 

• 441 posts
    April 12, 2022 8:41 AM PDT

The people who run mmorpge.com and the people that run the web site has changed over the years. Bill for instance (who ran the site for years) became very jaded about MMOs and what made an MMO. Often writing reviews for games in Alpha and judge them as released because they were crowd funded. Saying if they taking money, the game is released.

The articles written there often had odd slants of view. The community there is largely jaded as well. Many of them former MMO gamers that now spend most of their time knocking games before they have played them or with no desire to even try the game. I still post there but avoid trying to add any real news about Pantheon as its just downward spirals to miss information and cling to things that are just not relevant. Mods do nothing to give facts when people post miss information and let posters attack people posting positive information about any game. There are a few on the forums I respect still but that site has been a cesspool for many years.

• 41 posts
    April 12, 2022 9:03 AM PDT

Asmon has recently been trash talking about Pantheon (someone sent me one of his latest vids since Pantheon was mentioned).  But coming from a faceroller "Where's my trophy" player like him I don't care.  I am hoping he and his droogs stay far away from this game.

I just wanted to point out the site as I've been telling people I game with about Pantheon for a long time and maybe because of searched misinfo like that site is why I've been having difficulty getting thru to them about why it's exciting.

Just my 2cp, but I supose it would not get "fixed" as someone there would have to care about accuracy on their site.

• 363 posts
    April 12, 2022 11:13 AM PDT

To be completely honest, referencing a 3rd party website's label as evidence to what type of game Pantheon will be is... laughable at best.

• 41 posts
    April 12, 2022 1:17 PM PDT

Flossie said:

To be completely honest, referencing a 3rd party website's label as evidence to what type of game Pantheon will be is... laughable at best.

I can agree with that, however my point is misinformation for people that do reference and make judgements based on those sites.  Doesn't help the cause is all I'm saying.

My friend even told me that MMORPG had reviewed the game so they would know.  How he got THAT but missed the second bullet point discrepancy is beyond me.

• 96 posts
    April 12, 2022 4:31 PM PDT

I dunno, the link you posted seemed pretty bog standard. No positives or negatives mentioned there. I'm not sure what they want to mean with "Themepark" as a style. and the bullet points seem resonable from a perspective that maybe only spent 10 minutes on the website. 

I can see how they may think it will be more sandbox like becouse the game wont railroad you along a story line like FF14 does. You're free to kill monsters or do whatever quest you can find or craft whatever you want on your terms. 

I wish the release date was 2023 lmao!

• 161 posts
    April 12, 2022 6:13 PM PDT

The author of the article was probably paid $20 at most, so scanning a website for ten minutes is pretty much all you can expect.

• 441 posts
    April 13, 2022 7:36 AM PDT

Balanz said:

The author of the article was probably paid $20 at most, so scanning a website for ten minutes is pretty much all you can expect.

Maybe but like I posted above. The guy who ran mmorpg.com for many years, Bill Murphy was really jaded when it came to MMOs. He put games in boxes that fans of the site kept telling him were not right and he didnt care. As I said above, he would write reviews for games in Alpha and judge them as released because they were croud funded, saying if fans have given them money, the game should be judged as released. It shapped how the site functioned. Drove of many positive posters like myself (stopped posting there for a long time) away from the site. Its part of why it grew to be more toxic then a forum normally gets. 

This post was edited by Nanfoodle at April 13, 2022 7:47 AM PDT
    • 256 posts
    April 14, 2022 3:01 AM PDT

Until the game progresses into a more publically open state, there will always be misinformation out there and people who jump to stupid conclusions based on their own bias. 

I don't think that there is any harm currently with these misconceptions. Most people who would be supporting the game currently would be doing so during the alpha and beta stages. It is human nature to try to mitigate risk and loss, and buying into something you can't experience or don't fully understand is a risk most people would try to avoid.

I think that as the game moves forward, information will become more available. This will give people a better impression of the game, which will allow them to make a more informed decision regarding supporting the game. I think that by the time Alpha launches, there will be enough content out there to entice more support or sway people who might be on the fence. 

That being said, the misinformation at this time can make it hard to explain to people why this should be on their radar. It can also detour people from choosing to support at this time. It's not the best situation in the world, but until Pantheon is in a state where it can prove itself to more people, it is what it is. 

• 9115 posts
    April 14, 2022 3:10 AM PDT

Just send people to our site so they can see for themselves, games media will always paint the picture that they believe will get more views. At least here, they can read community members' views, see our tenets, news, videos etc.

• 247 posts
    April 14, 2022 9:56 PM PDT

MMORPG.com and reddit.com/r/mmorpg are both the same as one another.

Mostly angry, jaded players that have tried dozens of MMOs over the last 15 years, no clear direction what they actually want from a game in terms of style, mechanics, aesthetics, design; but bitter and ranting about all MMOs, especially anything currently in production because they've been burned so many times over the years by pre-purchasing, buying into beta etc.

Now they paint every development they come across with the same brush, dripping in the paint of their disdain.

This post was edited by Ezrael at April 14, 2022 9:56 PM PDT