Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Kyle Olsen appreciation thread

• 56 posts
    April 10, 2022 1:26 PM PDT
    Hey everyone!

While waiting for Pantheon to come out I've been checking out some other games. New World and now Lost Ark are the most recent.

I have to admit I know/knew very little about network stacks and the programming that goes in under-the-hood of most games until I got a glimpse from the Pantheon developers streams. Forgive my lack of understanding as I try to express myself here - the sentiment is sincere.

After playing two games which I assume are VERY client authoritative - I am super-glad Kyle was scooped up by Visionary Realms.

For those not in the know Kyle Olsen joined the team and kind of started peeling back the layers of their code and is a big reason why they decided to refacfor and now rehook the whole game up to his(their) proprietary network stack that utilizes Unitys multithread tech to make a performant and secure gaming experience for all of us.

I'm thankful that the team also decided to take the time and shoulder the cost of these changes as it shows they want to make a game that will be around many years into the future for us to enjoy. Hopefully a much more secure game with less RMT/botting than recent titles. Nothing makes a game feel more cheap, unfair and uncarred for than 1000s of bots running around everywhere.

I know Kyle must be doing an immense amount of work right now (along with all the other programmers, writers, artists, staff and leads) I just wanted to give my thanks and words of encouragement. Keep at it! I can't wait to see you all in game.
    • 2078 posts
    April 10, 2022 2:15 PM PDT

I knew Kyle was awesome when - in one stream - the discussion about one aspect of refactoring came to a conclusion and Kyle mentioned how much he was looking forward to the next thing he'd be working on and how he 'couldn't wait to get in there and start redoing some code' or something to this affect. You could hear the happy, eager tone in his voice.

I knew right then that Kyle was exactly who we had needed.

VR should (without breaking immersion of course) have some quest-giver NPC in the game somewhere who is so smart that figuring out what the actual quest IS - from the complex, cryptic things the NPC says to you -  is itself as big of a quest as actually performing the quest once you know what you're supposed to do.

And name him Kyle :)

Keep up the good work iijji!

This post was edited by Jothany at April 10, 2022 5:41 PM PDT
    • 326 posts
    April 10, 2022 4:53 PM PDT

Indeed, thanks much for all the hard work!

• 295 posts
    April 12, 2022 11:41 AM PDT

Yeah, there are some really talented folks here at VR and Kyle is a superstar among superstars. I don't always understand everything that's being said in regards to programming(I have dabbled a little in Unity), but the things that I do pick up let's me know that he is at the top of his game and Pantheon will be a better experience because of it.

This post was edited by Dikenzu at April 12, 2022 12:20 PM PDT
    • VR Staff
    • 353 posts
    April 12, 2022 11:44 AM PDT

Agree. Kyle is awesome. 

• 2419 posts
    April 12, 2022 12:43 PM PDT

So basically if luck and happenstance didn't conspire to get Kyle into VR after which he fixed/solved all your problems, this game would basically have died by now?  What would have happened he had no applied to VR?  Inquiring minds want to know.

• 56 posts
    April 12, 2022 1:03 PM PDT
    Good point @vandraad although Pantheon Plus made a good point in a recent podcast that Visionary Realms seems have a knack for highering the right talent at the right time.

Right now they are highering animation/riggers and world building artists just as the HDRP is being completed and that client is being internally tested.

That being said finding a programmer, like Kyle, who is so passionate about networking in addition to his other programming skills, was probably a huge stroke of luck for Pantheon.

This kind of talent wouldn't attracted to Visionary Realms if the job wasn't a good fit for them. The passion and vision of the small but growing VR team is palpable even in their most recent highers like Holly LeMay. I think the raw passion and dedication to this game from every team member makes Visionary Realms an attractive place to work to some very creative and talented people.