Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Thoughts on skill weaving?

• 146 posts
    March 18, 2022 11:04 AM PDT

Hey everyone, first time posting on these forums.

I'm curious to know people's opinion on skill weaving in games, and what their expectations for Pantheon are. I'm not referring to skill animation clipping or anything that isn't working as intended by the devs. Moreso instantaneous skills that either can be used within the global cooldown or don't trigger the global cooldown. 

This would make combat feel faster paced and busier. I currently like it in other games, but not sure if it would take away from the slower intentional combat I believe Pantheon is shooting for in this game. 

What are your thoughts on it? Likes and dislikes? Pros and cons? 

• 326 posts
    March 19, 2022 12:11 AM PDT

Hopefully, the situation will dictate skill usage and not be dictated by a static weaving meta rotation. We shall see.

• 273 posts
    March 19, 2022 5:46 AM PDT

Feastycentral said:

This would make combat feel faster paced and busier.

This is exactly what I'm hoping to get away from in Pantheon.

• 3852 posts
    March 19, 2022 6:42 AM PDT

If I really try I may be able to think of something I want less than faster paced and busier combat. Maybe.

• 1303 posts
    March 19, 2022 8:35 AM PDT

I'll pile on with; Please no. I'm looking forward to slower, more tactical combat. 

• 303 posts
    March 19, 2022 10:02 AM PDT

I imagine they will have quite a generous GCD in line with a lot of older games, like 1.5 seconds or something. If that's the case I doubt it would affect any feeling of a slow, tactical combat system. Even a small child or a 90-year old can probably reliably hit a 1500ms input window without feeling particularily rushed. Try setting your keyboard or mouse input delay to 1500 and you'll see what i mean.

• 146 posts
    March 19, 2022 10:58 AM PDT

Thunderleg said:

Hopefully, the situation will dictate skill usage and not be dictated by a static weaving meta rotation. We shall see.

I wouldn't like a static rotation either. It's probably why I enjoy healing in mmo's the most since it's very reactive casting. I was envisioning skills that add to the tactical/skill level like combos with other classes. (ex. a rogue uses a short strong poison, I use an instant skill that's low damage but as a bonus greatly increases current debuff damage output).

Spluffen said:

I imagine they will have quite a generous GCD in line with a lot of older games, like 1.5 seconds or something. If that's the case I doubt it would affect any feeling of a slow, tactical combat system. Even a small child or a 90-year old can probably reliably hit a 1500ms input window without feeling particularily rushed. Try setting your keyboard or mouse input delay to 1500 and you'll see what i mean.

Even 1.5 second GCD sounds high. I'd like something closer to 2s. Otherwise I could see some faster classes go into sub-1 second gcd's with buffs and class skills. I don't know what would be the ideal number.

• 1303 posts
    March 19, 2022 1:43 PM PDT

Spluffen said:

The objection has nothing to do with one's ability to react in a given period of time. It has to do with slowing things down so there's less a feeling that you're in a frenetic pace. So that you have time to talk, to interact with your group mates, to chill. 

Not everyone wants a button mashing marathon. Many want nothing even close. 

• 303 posts
    March 19, 2022 2:15 PM PDT

Feastycentral said:

Even 1.5 second GCD sounds high. I'd like something closer to 2s. Otherwise I could see some faster classes go into sub-1 second gcd's with buffs and class skills. I don't know what would be the ideal number.

I was just looking at my gf playing ffxiv trying to figure out how long the gcd is and it seems to be like 3 seconds and imo that game doesn't look that wonky or sluggish to play, granted i haven't actually felt it out myself.

Feyshtey said:

The objection has nothing to do with one's ability to react in a given period of time. It has to do with slowing things down so there's less a feeling that you're in a frenetic pace. So that you have time to talk, to interact with your group mates, to chill. 

Not everyone wants a button mashing marathon. Many want nothing even close.

Yea I understand that, I was just thinking that people probably don't understand how much leeway something like an off-GCD thing will give them and that it probably won't be any of the "button mashing" that they think it will. You're saying "It has to do with slowing things down" and not with one's ability to react but that's what i was saying too. My point was reaction time isn't an issue at all BECAUSE thats way more time than it'd seem. Probably about the same time as some entire cast times. Is the game "frenetic" if you cast several 1.5 second spells back to back? Doubt it.

• 2078 posts
    March 19, 2022 2:49 PM PDT

Feastycentral said:

I was envisioning skills that add to the tactical/skill level like combos with other classes. 

VR said early on that they aren't planning on 'combos' as such. However they have something called "States" than enemies can be put into as a byproduct of certain abilities (usually damage-causing ones). Functionally they are fairly short-term vulnerabilites that multiple Classes can cause, and multiple others can capitalize on. The end result is very similiar to a combo mechanic.

The list of possible States we know about already includes:

Bleeding
    Weakened
    Disoriented
    Fatigued
    Off-balance
    Surprised
    Windswept
    Burning
    Angry
    Vulnerable
    Chilled
    Frozen
    Helpless

• 113 posts
    March 19, 2022 3:49 PM PDT

Hmm is Knocked down a state too or just an effect of being knocked down after being in off balance state? hehe.

I'm squarely on the side of staying far away from twitchy combat as possible. Not just with abilities  but I also don't want to have to dodge and roll and crap too like say GW2 or plenty of others or play an FPS hehe. 

Actually I've been a bit worried seeing combat post re-factor compared to earlier streams of Amberfaet, Tower of Reckless Magician, BRK. Overall difficulty and TTK wise. 

• 727 posts
    March 19, 2022 5:31 PM PDT

This is a fun post.

So can Targets be placed in multiple 'states'?   If they can would the first hit exploiting the 'state' clear the un-exploited' state'?  

Is there a ranking of the 'states'?  Where one 'state' could clear another.

Can the Fatigued 'state' get overwritten by Surprised? 

Or can Chilled be cleared by Burning?  

I can't wait to try stuff out, I'll have to make a wizard as an alt. 

• 146 posts
    March 19, 2022 7:16 PM PDT

Spluffen said:

I was just looking at my gf playing ffxiv trying to figure out how long the gcd is and it seems to be like 3 seconds and imo that game doesn't look that wonky or sluggish to play, granted i haven't actually felt it out myself.

That's actually one of the games I currently play. They have a 2.5s GCD. It is much faster paced than you'd expect once you factor in off global cooldown skills from the later levels. I wouldn't want it to be that busy, more so situational skills.

Jothany said:

VR said early on that they aren't planning on 'combos' as such. However they have something called "States" than enemies can be put into as a byproduct of certain abilities (usually damage-causing ones). Functionally they are fairly short-term vulnerabilites that multiple Classes can cause, and multiple others can capitalize on. The end result is very similiar to a combo mechanic.

Bleeding
    Weakened
    Disoriented
    Fatigued
    Off-balance
    Surprised
    Windswept
    Burning
    Angry
    Vulnerable
    Chilled
    Frozen
    Helpless

That's still similar to the combo example I gave. Swap poison to any of the states you listed. The mechanic you explained is exactly what I was imagining. Since they're short-term vulnerabilities then I was wondering if something off the global cooldown would be used to capitalize. It would really dependon on how short-term we're talking about to see if that's even needed. 

Thank you for this list though! Super cool.

Stonefish said:

This is a fun post.

So can Targets be placed in multiple 'states'?   If they can would the first hit exploiting the 'state' clear the un-exploited' state'?  

Is there a ranking of the 'states'?  Where one 'state' could clear another.

Can the Fatigued 'state' get overwritten by Surprised? 

Or can Chilled be cleared by Burning?  

I can't wait to try stuff out, I'll have to make a wizard as an alt. 

Fantastic questions! I wish I knew the answers. It'll be cool if only certain states that dont' contradict each other could be applied at once time. Assuming more than one can be applied. 

I'm sure you won't need a wizard at all, as I can see many of those states being applied by several classes. Do you know what your main class will be?

• 2078 posts
    March 19, 2022 10:45 PM PDT

GeneralReb said:

Hmm is Knocked down a state too or just an effect of being knocked down after being in off balance state? hehe.

I made the list from what I found on the official class pages on this site. But I also remember Knockdown, I think from the Monk reveal. I'm pretty sure it was an official State of some kind of vulnerability.

Feastycentral said:

Since they're short-term vulnerabilities then I was wondering if something off the global cooldown would be used to capitalize. It would really dependon on how short-term we're talking about to see if that's even needed.

Not that I've timed any of it, but I think States last at least a couple of cycles of the GCD. So anyone who keeps an eye out for States should have time to switch up their plan of attack and use their 'benefitting' ability.

• 56 posts
    April 9, 2022 10:21 AM PDT
    I think there will always been a reason to have SOME off cool down abilities - like counterspells, interrupts and some healing abilities/cleanses. Some classes may need them to feel more fluid - I'm thinking monk/rogue.

My two cents is that they should utilize off-cooldown abilities where appropriate to make the combat feel smooth and enjoyable to play. From what I've seen so far your going to be limited by your class's resource and while you may be able to spam abilities it may not be the smartest move as pooling your resource and managing it well will allow you to use your harder hitting abilities, with higher costs, off cooldown. Watch the coh carnage stream; he button mashes on the rogue and can't use some of his abilities. If he were to pace himself in line with the slower, more thoughtful combat style, Pantheon is trying to have he would have done more damage.

There's no reason not to have off-cooldown, combo, press and hold, repeated tap, etc. Abilities to make combat feel engaging, fluid, fun to play while keeping a slower more thoughtful pace, because they can always pace combat with resources.

I would also add classes should all have a different feel to play a class designer might want a monk to feel more fluid while a ranger might have some more rigid press and hold abilities to draw back there bow and aim. A wizard might need to stand in place to cast their hardest hitting spells but might have a quick off cooldown ability to throw out while repositioning.

The most important thing with combat and abilities is to make it "feel right". OCD weaving or more frenetic play might feel right in certain situations on certain classes. Maybe during a cool down window.

We might be looking at this with a modern lense of near-infinite mana pools and class rotation based games. Pantheon will most likely not feel anything like the current games and will actually require resource management and a much more thoughtful approach to game play so limiting what type of abilities are added seems pointless.

• 34 posts
    April 13, 2022 2:05 PM PDT

I don't want any global cool down, for me this is a bane on gaming. I much prefer each individual skill/ability to have it's own cooldown. If there is any such thing as animation cancelling like ESO where it's mandatory I'm out, that to me is a broken game.

This post was edited by splitpawthanos at April 13, 2022 2:06 PM PDT
    • 1860 posts
    April 13, 2022 2:28 PM PDT

Jothany said:

Feastycentral said:

I was envisioning skills that add to the tactical/skill level like combos with other classes. 

Bleeding
    Weakened
    Disoriented
    Fatigued
    Off-balance
    Surprised
    Windswept
    Burning
    Angry
    Vulnerable
    Chilled
    Frozen
    Helpless

Here are some more status listings.  It's an old list.

Stunned Rooted Silenced Mesmerized Incapacitaed Afraid Asleep Polymorphed Snared Charmed Disorented Angry Blind PrimaryHandDisarmed SecondaryHandDisarmed Wet Hot Burning Cold Frozen Poisoned Cursed Diseased UnderPressure Suffocating KnockedDown OffBalance Levitating Fatigued Electrified Enraged Fleeing Taunted Stealth Invisible Bleeding Intoxicated Weakened Vulnerable Surprised Revived InCombat AutoAttacking Casting Feigned Invulnerable CantTurn Sitting SeeInvisible PerfectDefense Immortal Max
    • 2752 posts
    April 13, 2022 2:59 PM PDT

splitpawthanos said:

I don't want any global cool down, for me this is a bane on gaming. I much prefer each individual skill/ability to have it's own cooldown. If there is any such thing as animation cancelling like ESO where it's mandatory I'm out, that to me is a broken game.

You want to literally be able to run your finger across the number keys and fire off all your abilities at the exact same time? 

• 2078 posts
    April 13, 2022 8:04 PM PDT

philo said: Here are some more status listings.  It's an old list.

Stunned Rooted Silenced Mesmerized Incapacitaed Afraid Asleep Polymorphed Snared Charmed Disorented Angry Blind PrimaryHandDisarmed SecondaryHandDisarmed Wet Hot Burning Cold Frozen Poisoned Cursed Diseased UnderPressure Suffocating KnockedDown OffBalance Levitating Fatigued Electrified Enraged Fleeing Taunted Stealth Invisible Bleeding Intoxicated Weakened Vulnerable Surprised Revived InCombat AutoAttacking Casting Feigned Invulnerable CantTurn Sitting SeeInvisible PerfectDefense Immortal Max

That's quite an addition. A lot of possibilities to capitalize on.

Thanks!

• 9115 posts
    April 14, 2022 3:45 AM PDT

This topic has been promoted for my CM content, please continue the discussion and have fun! :)

"Hot Topic - What are your thoughts on skill weaving? join this community created discussion on our official forums to have your say https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/13625/thoughts-on-skill-weaving #MMORPG #CommunityMatters"

• 72 posts
    April 14, 2022 6:19 AM PDT

I have no problems with some skills being off of the global cooldown--that is if Pantheon even has a global cooldown since as far as I can tell all of their skills is restricted by either class resources or individual cooldowns. It can be fun to situationally throw in a little something extra here or there.

However, I would have a problem if VR designed the rest of combat to be like Final Fantasy XIVs combat. Thoughtlessly pressing 3-6 abilities in a set rotation is one of the main reasons I didn't enjoy playing that particular game.

Edit: Okay, after rewatching the most recent Cohh stream it does appear that there is a global cooldown in Pantheon, but it's extremely unrestrictive relative to the cooldown and resource restrictions on the abilities.

This post was edited by Turnip at April 14, 2022 6:49 AM PDT
    • 98 posts
    April 14, 2022 6:35 AM PDT

@Feastycentral, first of all, welcome to the forums.  Great first post :)

Your question makes me think of some abilities from Vanguard, such as the Paladin's "Paragon" ability.  It didn't trigger the global cooldown, so you could hit it immediately prior to another ability, but it had its own cooldown and resource usage.  I always liked that ability.

I suspect, if things like that make it into Pantheon, they will be class-specific.  I also hope they're optional.  I can easily imagine playing a Monk where I want to "burn" my Chi to do extra damage by weaving such abilities into my regular rotation.  But I'd also like to be able to equip different abilities on my hotbar and not have to worry about it.

Personally, I'd dearly love it (although I have no reason at all to expect it) if Pantheon would let my character fight on its own with no input at all from me during the combat.  Part of this is because I've always enjoyed games that let me play an entire party, and part of it is because I genuinely wish games like Pantheon - persistent, long-term, social - were more accessible to people with severe disabilities, who aren't able to accurately control a character in real time.  Again, I have no reason to expect this in Pantheon, and it's not something I'm trying to make happen - just trying to give context to how I look at things.

• 2 posts
    April 14, 2022 7:26 AM PDT

No thanks!!!!!

• 31 posts
    April 14, 2022 7:41 AM PDT

If I can program my Orbweaver, my Keyboard, and my mouse to "weave" several spells with a single button press, then I will.

Technology advances a lot in 20 years.

• 2 posts
    April 14, 2022 9:44 AM PDT

For the most part, I’m with everyone else preferring slower more tactical combat over spell weaving spell rotation; however, the only exception for me might be specific to a bard class if they can find a way to to weave songs (buffs/debuffs) without making it a mindless rotation. I think it would play well into roleplaying the instrumental aspect of a bard and allow more advanced bard players to really showcase in a party.

When you think about it, MMO combat is made up of 3 games within the game: healing, damage, and crowd control. Anyone who has played multiple classes in an MMO knows that combat feels completely different depending on which of these three roles you are filling. The exception being the bard, who generally clicks a few buffs and then pretends to be a damage dealer. It would be nice to have your own "game" to play during combat. 

This post was edited by Azur at April 14, 2022 10:04 AM PDT