Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Lightning asset as trigger.

• 727 posts
    March 11, 2022 6:11 AM PST

Is the lightning in the game a separate asset file?

If so can this trigger an effect upon other assets?

I was envisioning a flash causing a temporary glow upon flora or fauna that could indicate a trait or variation. 

Anyway that my addition to feature creep for today.  Peace.

• 3 posts
    March 11, 2022 8:24 AM PST

Mentioned in the stream was they were able to tell the difference between light sources. Their example was moonlight, where certain flowers only grow in moonlight.

I would assume that could be applied to lightning as well.

From what I know about the game engine, that's very possible, I think it may come down to performance.

• 902 posts
    March 11, 2022 11:49 AM PST

They also said lightning will hit the ground and presumably players too(?). Also the druid will interact with storms and lightning. 

From the looks of things, the environment will be something much deeper than we generally encounter in games. 

• 888 posts
    March 11, 2022 1:41 PM PST

I hope lightning causes most mobs to seek shelter,  making it a good time to travel if you don't mind the risk of getting zapped. 

Will it function like RL lightning,  targetiing tsller objects and metallic objects?  It would be quute fun if so,  since we would try to act intuitively. Simple RNG lightning strikes won't feel real.  I'd love to see it target metal armor / weapon wearers,  so if lightning is a concern,  players can decide if switching gear is warranted.  Short races should also be less likely to get hit. 

• 727 posts
    March 11, 2022 2:10 PM PST

How about races in a storm across an open field while holding a spear aloft?

• 888 posts
    March 11, 2022 2:14 PM PST

StoneFish said:

How about races in a storm across an open field while holding a spear aloft?

"Hi,  I'm J'honny Clericfield. Welcome to Jackass."

This post was edited by Counterfleche at March 11, 2022 2:23 PM PST
    • 690 posts
    March 11, 2022 2:20 PM PST

chenzeme said:

They also said lightning will hit the ground and presumably players too(?). Also the druid will interact with storms and lightning. 

From the looks of things, the environment will be something much deeper than we generally encounter in games. 

ogre warriors make good lightning rods...

• 256 posts
    March 11, 2022 2:42 PM PST

Counterfleche said:

I hope lightning causes most mobs to seek shelter,  making it a good time to travel if you don't mind the risk of getting zapped. 

Will it function like RL lightning,  targetiing tsller objects and metallic objects?  It would be quute fun if so,  since we would try to act intuitively. Simple RNG lightning strikes won't feel real.  I'd love to see it target metal armor / weapon wearers,  so if lightning is a concern,  players can decide if switching gear is warranted.  Short races should also be less likely to get hit. 

It would be cool for mobs to react to the weather. We have heard about pyrophobia as a disposition, which is seemingly a player-controlled disposition. However, it could be cool to explore dispositions that are more environmentally influenced. You mentioned mobs taking shelter from lighting as an example. Fear of thunder and lightning is called astraphobia and seeking shelter during storms could be how most mobs react in general. However, there could be other interactions with this phobia. For example, mobs could temporarily be frozen in shock if there is a loud burst of thunder/lighting. Mobs could run and cower in fear if there isn't a shelter nearby. There could also be disposition reactions to fog, maybe NPCs are more alert and cautious. Maybe they patrol more, or patrol in groups in foggy weather.  Nighttime could also see an increase in patrols and cautions. 

As for lighting striking players, I think that it could be cool to see this. I think it would awesome to actually fear how weather impacts gameplay. However, I would be a bit concerned about how this could play out in a game where death matters. I have never been a fan of RNG mechanics that could potentially one-shot players. I think it might be cool if the lighting strikes could kill a player, but not one shot. 

This post was edited by FatedEmperor at March 11, 2022 2:43 PM PST
    • 727 posts
    March 11, 2022 4:09 PM PST

Under level 10 or 15 I think a one-shot lightning strike death would be great.  Even if I knew I was relatively safe at level 20 or 30 or 60 I would never forget and the world would seem all the more dangerous.   

• 888 posts
    March 11, 2022 9:12 PM PST

Some other lightning ideas...

1. It could damage equipment and currency (melting a bunch of coins,  for example). This helps make it dangerous,  especially if it's not going to one-shot kill.
    2. It could be required for some very rare crafting.
    3. It could be required for a fun necro reanimation spell. 
    4. A zone with metal automatons / golems that are inanimate by default but who become vicious, animated mobs when struck by lightning. Each subsequent strike heals them and buffs their movement and to-hit. This zone should be claustrophobic and known for frequent lightning storms.
    5. Skeletons that get struck could explode into fragments, causing AoE damage and leaving behind a sought after electrified bone for crafting.
    6. It could charge weapons and armor made of specific metals so the weapons have a single use lightning  discharge and the armor has a single use two minute static discharge which does damage back to attacking mobs. 

• 902 posts
    March 12, 2022 3:02 AM PST

I could imagine a warrior about to behead a poor gobble when pow, he looks like wile  e coyote!! Lol.

• 32 posts
    March 12, 2022 3:03 AM PST
    I am imagining a very atmospheric fight against witches. They cast lightning down on you and your party while you are raiding their cave. You don't want to take the damage, but you need the light they are providing to see to fight them. They have some ward up in the cave which is preventing your normal light source to work.