Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What's your favourite class & which MMO represented it best?

• 247 posts
    February 26, 2022 7:26 PM PST

For me it is the Cleric from Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

• 326 posts
    February 26, 2022 8:38 PM PST

Being an altaholic, others will have to give an actual answer.

• 256 posts
    February 26, 2022 9:22 PM PST

I don't really know if I have a favorite specific class. I enjoy playing healers and any class that can provide a decent healing experience and good class fantasy are probably my favorite.

If I had to pick one class for the sake of picking one class, I guess Druids in WoW have my vote. I love their class fantasy, lore, and how their healing style plays out. That class has been my main since the start of BC back in 2007. With that being said, I don't necessarily look at a new game and say "Hey, I hope they have a druid class".

Personally, it really is a question about favorite role vs favorite class. With that being said, I am sure that when Pantheon launches I will end up favoring one healer more than the others based on class fantasy and lore. 

• 3852 posts
    February 27, 2022 8:25 AM PST

I am with Thunderleg. But I will mention one class I liked a lot. The shaman from Vanguard. It could do quite a few interesting things and was entirely competent at going around solo and exploring the world without needing to find a group. Honorable mention to the bard from Vanguard - a well designed class in many ways. Both had the ability for increased speed - a favorite attribute of mine even when useless in combat.

Perhaps my least favorite class - the Midgard Healer from DAOC. However good it was healing a group it was pathetically unable to do anything on its own. Even with good gear a fight with a green-con mob (a few levels lower than the Healer) would be a lengthy fight with the outcome not guaranteed. Indeed even a gray-con mob could kill a Healer. 

Please, VR. Give every class enough ability to damage an enemy that exploring Terminus on its own will be feasible. Subject to the obvious - a much higher level enemy or a group of enemies can still trash it rapidly.

• 28 posts
    February 27, 2022 9:11 AM PST

I tend to play all classes and a variety of races. However, the class that I navigate towards most often is the Shaman. My first MMO character was a shaman (Shazule) in Everquest. My favorite Shaman class was from Vanguard, specifically the Bear Shaman. That said I keep going between the Shaman and Druid for my first character in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

• 454 posts
    February 27, 2022 9:59 AM PST

The Shaman from EQ was my fave.  Even though I am also an alt lover the Shaman role stands out for me.

• 690 posts
    February 27, 2022 10:13 AM PST

Questaar said:

The Shaman from EQ was my fave.  Even though I am also an alt lover the Shaman role stands out for me.

Dito

• 727 posts
    February 27, 2022 11:52 AM PST

Ranger. I like the sound the bow makes when it goes "twang" 

• 200 posts
    February 27, 2022 11:52 AM PST

Hey. I do not have a favourite class. But i liked the discipline priest from WoW. It is a pro-active shield healer.

Cheers

• 252 posts
    February 28, 2022 8:29 AM PST

I don't have a go to class that I play in every game, but I really enjoyed Assassin in Age of Conan. I thought they did a great job with the class. My original main class in EQ2 was a Paladin, but ended up switching to assassin there too.  

• 101 posts
    February 28, 2022 8:49 AM PST

EQ1 Bard.  It wasn't about the button mashing. It was about being able to do well at something so few people wanted to even deal with because of how difficult it was - and to be rewarded greatly with skills and abilities that other classes couldnt match, and often times that nobody had even seen or heard of before.  

• 258 posts
    February 28, 2022 9:10 AM PST

For the longest while and which is still is, is the Wizard class from EverQuest. I grew up with the Wizard's role and lore that stuck with me forever. Although, since I started playing WoW I started with a Melee class called Demon Hunter which molded me to like a close combat class. I'm still trying to get into a ranged class as it has always been my preference.

• 1303 posts
    February 28, 2022 9:27 AM PST

Necromancer in Everquest. At least until they started being pushed toward being mana batteries. 

• 2419 posts
    February 28, 2022 9:34 AM PST

Questaar said:

Same here.  I prefer playing support classes and always take the Shaman in every game that offers it. So far, only the EQ1 Shaman has been my favorite incarnation.

• 178 posts
    February 28, 2022 9:03 PM PST

Ever since the original pen and paper days of D&D I was partial to the thief (or rogue). Even playing Wizardry I liked my rogue the best of all members of the team. In EQ I started a rogue.

But as far as favorite, it is the Bard in EQ.

Second favorite was the Mercenary in DAoC - sort of a return to a more roguish type of character albeit less of a thief type.

I haven't settled on a class or race, yet, for Pantheon. But I suspect it will be rogue and whatever really ugly class there is (Skar is the leading contender). But that will also depend on any friends that may be starting at the same time I start and where their race choices will be located. Since playing together will probably mean having to be able to start somewhere close to each other.

• 6 posts
    March 1, 2022 11:18 AM PST

Age of Conan: Conqueror 
    Kinda like Ret Paladin in WoW but better. You provide some buff to your group and charge in with that 2H to crush your enemy. 

Oh and the best part, your group needs Tank sure, we need DPS sure. Love melee classes that you can have multiple roles for your party. 

In Pantheon I like what I read about Dire Lord, looks like a fun class to my game style only issue I see so far is the Race for myself. It looks like pls don't hate me but 'meta' will be is to play an Orc race to get the full benefit of that class. I'm not a big fan of playing none human races so this is kinda turn off. In most RPG/MMO's Iam looking to play as close as possible to the Conan feel lmao

This post was edited by Rudiarius at March 1, 2022 11:42 AM PST
    • 2076 posts
    March 1, 2022 2:35 PM PST

I'm a confirmed altaholic, so 'favorite' class is not nearly such an absolute choice to me.

That said, my first & favorite character in the P&P days of DnD was a Bard. Also my favorite character in Vanguard by far was my Bard. He was arguably the most interesting/exciting character I've ever built in an MMO. And finally, what we know so far about the Bard in Pantheon has it on my 'must play' list. So I'd say that Bard is at least tied for 1st choice at this point, though anything may happen once Panth releases.

Hellfiter said:

In Pantheon I like what I read about Dire Lord, looks like a fun class to my game style only issue I see so far is the Race for myself. It looks like pls don't hate me but 'meta' will be is to play an Orc race to get the full benefit of that class. I'm not a big fan of playing none human races so this is kinda turn off. In most RPG/MMO's Iam looking to play as close as possible to the Conan feel lmao

Hiya Hellfiter, welcome to the forums.

I'm also planning a Dire Lord, he will likely be the only Tank I play. I think you should have no worries about needing to play an Ogre to do quite well as a DL.

The first reason is that VR stated plainly back when the Racial Passive abilities were revealed, that they are all about adding 'flavor' to the different Races, and that all Races available to be a given class will be able to perform that Class's Group Role equally well. Not exactly the same in every circumstance, but equally well overall in the Game. VR plainly said that we should choose the Race we find most appealing for whatever Class we wish to play.

A second reason is that there will be Racial Active abilities, that will be stronger in affect than the Passives. Those abilities haven't been revealed yet, and they will likely cause much reconsideration of the current opinions about a 'meta' for any given Class.

I personally started out expecting to make an Ogre DL, but as I learned more about the DL and the Game, I decided that Skar is the Race he will be. Partly because a bonus to his Health pool sounds particularly good to me, but also just because I think Skar look way more intimidating than Ogres.

Assuming you would like to play a Human DL, you will face some hostile faction 'attitudes' in Thronefast at the beginning, but the Human Faction Gain bonus should help you overcome it in reasonably short order. And while there's been no 'official' discussion anywhere about this, it seems quite possible to me that Charisma might play a large role in the DL's main hate-generating ability, "Provoking Phantoms". If that proves true, the Human Charisma bonus could be a huge benefit for a DL.

Hope to see you in Skargol!

This post was edited by Jothany at March 1, 2022 2:46 PM PST
    • 438 posts
    March 1, 2022 4:55 PM PST
    I really loved the ranger in EQ1. And the Bard in EQ1 (though I was horrible as a bard). The Druid in WoW was a lot of fun as well given the different ways to play the class.
    • 80 posts
    March 1, 2022 7:11 PM PST

Blackguard from Neverwinter Nights (more of an online RPG than a dignified MMO but this is my all-time favorite so far).

• 295 posts
    March 1, 2022 7:32 PM PST

One of my favorie topics...classes. 

My favorite classes to play are the Paladin and Cleric. I usually specced Holy in both when playing WoW. I also liked the Purifier and Sentinel Souls in Rift. Yes, I leveled those specs. Class fantasy was more important to me than expediency and playing the optimal build. 

This post was edited by Dikenzu at March 1, 2022 7:46 PM PST
    • 69 posts
    March 2, 2022 8:43 AM PST

I've tried all kinds of classes but I always end up back on Rogue (EQ, WoW, etc).  Stealth and the ability to burst damage then escape just suits my playstyle.  I've enjoyed rogue-adjacent versions of the Barbarian class as well, and if something like that is available I'd go for that (Shadowbane, Conan, TESO, EQ).  I'm a big fan of ugly/monster races and Dwarves.  I tend to play a healer well, but being useful is only so fun... haha

This post was edited by shuk at March 2, 2022 8:45 AM PST
    • 16 posts
    March 2, 2022 8:52 AM PST

Favorite classes - EQ 1         Ranger 

EQ 11       Cleric

Vanguard  Cleric

I enjoy the supportive roles and have restricted MMOs to the Brad inspired genre

• 6 posts
    March 2, 2022 9:28 AM PST

Thanks for the explanation Jothany 
    Yeah, it makes sense we don't know everything about Races yet. Closer to release I am sure we all will be having fun playing around what race what class and what role will be the best. 

• 947 posts
    March 2, 2022 9:57 AM PST

I have a couple favorite classes (playstyles) to play in an RPG. 

1. One of which is the Druid.  I love the idea of an individual being a conduit of nature to the point that they can transform into a beast and eventually become one with the elements.  Unfortunately, the only MMO to come close to the RPG version (that I've played) is WoW.  If they had instead done an earth or water elemental instead of the moonkin and tree form, it would've been even closer.  Come to think of it, the only other games I know of where the "Druid" wasnt some kind of animal/elemental purist are EQ1, EQ2, and now PRotF.

So I have little interest in this version of the Druid but I will instead likely lean toward Shaman as the class being more attuned to the elements and having things like a combative animal companion. 

2. Another is the Paladin.  I love the defender of the weak and punisher of the wicked playstyle in any class I choose - but Paladin obviously personofies that.  Many games have great Paladins, but I hate playing Humans or "small" races (as a "defender" of those who can't defend themselves) in a game that offers multiple race options.  If I had to pick one game as my favorite Paladin, I would again have to say WoW, around WotLK when Blood Elves came out.

• 1 posts
    March 3, 2022 6:00 PM PST

I have always been an alt-a-holic,I enjoy most classes, but find the healing and bow classes to be most difficult for me.

My all time fav class though is hands down the Dread Knight from VG!

Between the damage output and self healing in a crowd and grouped with a Paladin, I found that combo of classes unstaoppable and lots of fun both soloing and dueling.