Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Tavern Talk - If you could pick one new...

• 9115 posts
    January 17, 2022 3:51 AM PST

Tavern Talk - If you could pick one new Pantheon Class and Race combination, what would it be and why? #MMORPG#CommunityMatters

• 258 posts
    January 17, 2022 4:04 AM PST

There's just so many good one's to mention!

I would probably come up with some that I've loved during my gaming career. But, one that has resognated a lot with me is a Demon Hunter class, like the one from World of Warcraft has but with a mean bulky looking Race that would go with it. Also one that I'd definitely play is a Beastlord type of class with Werewolf race. Or maybe a Vampire like Class with a Blood Elf race!

This post was edited by Arzoth at January 17, 2022 4:04 AM PST
    • 62 posts
    • 48 posts
    January 17, 2022 6:26 AM PST
    I honesty wish more races had access to the Paladin. Surprised that only two races have holy warriors.
    So i choose Dark Myr Paladin. For selfish reasons.
    • 258 posts
    January 17, 2022 6:29 AM PST

Dosi said:

for referance. 

Detailed Race/Class Combination List (Sticky?) - Pantheon Forums (pantheonmmo.com)

I like my reference better!

• 216 posts
    January 17, 2022 6:46 AM PST

I'd love a Dwarven ranger, I can picture them tracking game through the snow and frozen tundra, bringing back food and making friends with polar bears.

• 7 posts
    January 17, 2022 6:56 AM PST
    Dark myr ranger for me.
    • 902 posts
    January 17, 2022 7:14 AM PST

I am all in favour of race/class restrictions, so it doesnt bother me too much but, I would think that any race that could become a druid wouldn't find it a problem to be a ranger too (Archai, Dark Myr and Ogres). I know that's three, but meh!

• 48 posts
    January 17, 2022 7:20 AM PST
    In also in favor of race/class restrictions but i feel some choices are too strict. Gnomes dont have a main tank or maIn healer class. Ogres dont have any dps.

Yes, im sure this has been debated to death already, I just hope and wish for some more normalization. I feel that each race should have access to no less than one class from each sphere. Tank, healer, dps, support. Maybe even as far at one ranged and one melee dps.
    • 902 posts
    January 17, 2022 7:40 AM PST

Xanafel: Tank, healer, dps, support. Maybe even as far at one ranged and one melee dps.

I totally get where you are coming from, but I think it has to make sense from a "physical" point of view and (more importantly) a lore point of view. I would find it impossible to "believe" gnomes could be front line warriors or monks (small and fragile - I even find the halfling warrior hard to swallow and would think a monk/halfling would be better suited than a warrior/halfling) in the same manner that I find an Ogre wizard difficult to believe (large and clumsy and not great with words). 

I think the main consideration is that class/race combinations make sense in the world lore and not because players want specific combinations.

• 48 posts
    January 17, 2022 8:03 AM PST

chenzeme said:

Xanafel: Tank, healer, dps, support. Maybe even as far at one ranged and one melee dps.

I totally get where you are coming from, but I think it has to make sense from a "physical" point of view and (more importantly) a lore point of view. I would find it impossible to "believe" gnomes could be front line warriors or monks (small and fragile - I even find the halfling warrior hard to swallow and would think a monk/halfling would be better suited than a warrior/halfling) in the same manner that I find an Ogre wizard difficult to believe (large and clumsy and not great with words). 

I think the main consideration is that class/race combinations make sense in the world lore and not because players want specific combinations.

I fully understand that, but it just seems to pigeon hole some races way too much while as always Humans get everything.

The two examples that readily come to mind are;

Ogre monks. Why can Ogres be shamanistic but are unable to be harmonious with their body and soul?

Dark Myr paladins. As i said im a bit biased about this one.

I have always dislike the fact that only goodly races can be seen as having holy warriors. Evil and good are in the eye of the beholder. Dark Myr clerics could just as easily be fed up with their orders. Can only Dwarves and Humans have hatred for the undead?

Sorry for derailing the thread. Just wanted to get that off my chest. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

• 2419 posts
    January 17, 2022 8:40 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Tavern Talk - If you could pick one new Pantheon Class and Race combination, what would it be and why? #MMORPG#CommunityMatters

Gnome Warrior just so I can read the threadageddons later on about how their race/class combo sucks and needs buffed because they dont have the hitpoints, strenght, stamina of an Ogre or other races more befitting a warrior.

• 123 posts
    January 17, 2022 9:31 AM PST

Ogre Bard...  Not about singing in tune, but the louder you sing, the more people you can inspire/de-moralize.

• 2752 posts
    January 17, 2022 9:39 AM PST

Gnome Monk, they already flow like water. 

“You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” - Bruce Lee

• 690 posts
    January 17, 2022 10:31 AM PST

Halfling Enchanter

They'd be good at fire enchantments, and being so charismatic they would, meta-wise, dominate the class.

They also look fun and spontaneous, which makes for a fun, and flavorful, enchanter.

• 125 posts
    January 17, 2022 11:30 AM PST

I think an Archai cleric makes sense.

I would also cut a number of classes from humans - never get why the most popular race picked in these games also gets the largest choice of class. Druid, shaman and dire lord in particular make less sense from a human perspective imo

• 2138 posts
    January 17, 2022 11:54 AM PST

Xanafel said: In also in favor of race/class restrictions but i feel some choices are too strict. Gnomes dont have a main tank or maIn healer class. Ogres dont have any dps. Yes, im sure this has been debated to death already, I just hope and wish for some more normalization. I feel that each race should have access to no less than one class from each sphere. Tank, healer, dps, support. Maybe even as far at one ranged and one melee dps.

I hear what you are saying. But I feel that such restrictions also, inadvertently and accidentally, allow a level of cultural immersion. Gnomes, having no melee class, then learn to fight in the gnomish way. I have posted loquaciously on this but in a nutshell I Imagine a mindset that is trained to single pulls and High DPS. Imagine the culture shock (and Immersion!) when, as a gnome, you meet a melee class and suddenly get adds where you, as a gnome, panic yet the melee class, as a human say, remains calm. Suddenly you experience a culture clash, How do you handle it? what do you learn and suddenly and- inadvertently- you are role playing. and suddenly, you are thrust into a new style of gameplay where yu have to learn to adjust your strategy to accomodate the strengths and weaknesses of your new friends, and they to yours. Suddenly, the same game is a new game.

As far as the OP's question? I am along the lines of Bradbury's "The martian chronicles"  This would be an un-identifiable race since... it would become the race it interacts with. Little to no combat skills but instantly full faction with whatever race or creature it comes in contact with. If grouped becaomes the race of the one inviting. Once disbanded becomes the race with full faction of the things in the immediate environment. Survival tactics? can travel with a group but if attacked in a dungeon and wounded may disband, instantly becoming the thing attacking the group and therefore will cease to be attacked by the things but may not get cured/healed. Perhaps the only race to achieve master craftsmanship. Risks? having one in the group means, one less. some encounters may insist or need absolutely a full group unless the team is tight enough. 

*Edit* to be clear, My response is based on my interpreting the OP's question as meaning: 1. New race and 2. New class. and not, existing race and class. (and im not being oxford comma snooty)

This post was edited by Manouk at February 5, 2022 6:18 AM PST
    • 326 posts
    January 17, 2022 12:25 PM PST

repost from the YT short:

Willing to trade dorfs for content...

• 2086 posts
    January 17, 2022 1:32 PM PST

Dosi said: for referance. Detailed Race/Class Combination List (Sticky?) - Pantheon Forums (pantheonmmo.com)

Thanks for linking that. I'll add that there has been one change to that chart, since it was posted. Archai can be Summoner.

Adrenicus said: never get why the most popular race picked in these games also gets the largest choice of class.

You've answered your own qustion. Humans get the most choices BECAUSE they are the most popular Race. It brings subscribers.

My choice would be a Dwarven Monk.

I'd like to play a Monk but every Race that's available to it is a better match (IMO) for another Class I plan to play.

I'd like to play a Dwarf but their Class choices either don't appeal to me, or are better matched (IMO) to another Race.

So, Dwarven Monk would kill 2 gasbats with one arrow (so to speak).

• 454 posts
    January 17, 2022 1:36 PM PST

I'd love to see more Paladins in game.  My first choice would be Archai.  It doesn't really fit the lore, but it's what I'd like to play.

• 729 posts
    January 17, 2022 2:40 PM PST

Skar Bard.  There can be an instrument they make that creates a horrid sound.  Focusing on rebuff and crowd control. 

• 34 posts
    January 17, 2022 3:58 PM PST
    Elf cleric. Because why would they not have it.
    • 14 posts
    January 17, 2022 7:37 PM PST

I'm not even particularly interested in playing a monk, but elves and monks feel right together.

• 413 posts
    January 18, 2022 6:41 AM PST

I thinking of Dark Myr  / Shaman is intriguing and would be OP.  I am really excited about swimming and underwater exploration.  It has not gotten alot of attention as of late.  Climbing has alot of the attention, which is great but the other half of that is underwater exploration.  

Swimming: To Do
    What it is: Implementation of a swimming locomotion system including support for Z-axis movement, the creation of a new suite of swimming animations, and implementation of a water system.

I wonder what the prerequisites are to work on swimming?    but yes I plan to spend alot of time underground and below sea level  but yes Shaman's "Walk of Ages" ability and Dark Myr abilty to breath underwater means this combo would be able to get too those hard to reach places under ground where there are no treeees.

This post was edited by Zevlin at January 18, 2022 6:47 AM PST
    • 500 posts
    January 18, 2022 7:08 AM PST

I'm fine with things as is, but if I had to choose a different combination,  I would try a Dwarven Ranger.