Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Tavern Talk - Food

• 888 posts
    November 3, 2021 10:12 AM PDT
    The way to make food work and be fun is to have food be consumed upon receiving it. Make buffs short and make it an item we don't have to manage, ahop for, or waste inventory space on.

Only the food crafter (chef) would need to manage the logistics, and between combat they can quickly craft food/drink that the party consumes for a small buff. The cooking process would take a short amount of time (5-10 seconds) and there would be various emotes that show the cooking. All characters in range would automatically then eat/drink l.

This allows people who like food to benefit and it solves the "too boring / tedious / micromanagy / inventory-clogging" objections. It won't be a crafting profession that makes the crafter money, but it will make them more popular when LFG. Keep the ingredient costs low, the varieties of recipies numerous, and set up an easy interface for them to quickly craft.

This makes food fun. We can all see the cook quickly spit-roast a boar we just killed and all get a small benefit. No one is maxing their inventory on food or forced to watch for buffs to expire then open inventory and click on food.
    • 810 posts
    November 3, 2021 11:33 AM PDT

Counterfleche is calling for a pure money sink in my eyes.  Leveling it up would be the worst tradeskill.  

Seeing the cook make a camp fire then cook a recently killed boar for a party buff is not a bad idea.  It is full of RP and would be cool if we had endless dev time.  It can't be the core of a tradeskill.  It would be the worst profession to level up if they have nothing to sell.  Is a party going to invite a cook if it means they are not helping fight but just leveling cooking?  If its dropped supplies, then is the cook going to just burn all their supplies buffing noone so they can level up? 

Secondly, why couldn't an alchemist brew a large batch of long term potion for the party to drink?  Its more powerful while fresh!  In almost every MMO cooking is simply a second form of alchemy, your idea fits perfectly with it because they are effectively the same tradeskill.  Drink your long term buff potion.  Eat your long term buff meal. 

• 729 posts
    November 4, 2021 8:24 AM PDT

Yes I am a fan of food and cooking in the game.  

--Happy foods like cakes and cookies heal or restore

- Stock foods like bread and honey have social buffs like faction or agro radius.

- Wild foods like wild greens or nuts have fortitude buffs like strength or dexterity

I would very much enjoy having the character be known for always having a favorite food item on them or be able to cook good dishes or forage for useful items.  I imagine being out on an adventure and foraging some unknown nuts, or seeds then discover they buff or poison me .  

I also envision the game developers being able to add or subtract the ingredients in the wild as they wish.  A cold snap destroyed a bush that had good berries, or a new flower is found to be spreading that makes a great salad.   

Any variation and complexity in the mechanics of the world I would enjoy. 

But for now I am fine if just Banana Nut Bread is included because I eat that IRL all the time and it will add to my immersion :)

• 2091 posts
    November 4, 2021 4:06 PM PDT

StoneFish said:

But for now I am fine if just Banana Nut Bread is included because I eat that IRL all the time and it will add to my immersion :)

'Eats bananas and nuts all the time'....

Now that explains a lot!

:D

• 417 posts
    November 5, 2021 7:32 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Kilsin said:

Tavern Talk - Food - Are you a fan of food in MMORG's and what food would you like to see in Pantheon? Bonus question, should food give you buffs and health regen? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

I'm a big fan of food/drink, treating it as importantly as you would your armor, weapons and spells. Where I differ from most is in the recipes.  I prefer them to be vague and through our interpretation we obtain different results.  For example, A Hunter's Sandwich recipe should read: 1 Meat, 2 Vegetable, 1 Sauce, 2 Spice, 2 Bread.  Depending upon which meat, vegetables, sauce, spices and bread we use, the end item will differ in the stats/buffs provided.  I could choose to use Bear meat for a small STR bonus, or Dwarf meat for CR, etc.  I could go with a white bread that gives duration bonus of 1.1 or use a more difficult to produce multi-grain bread and get a duration bonus of 1.5.  The point being is that we can, mostly, determine what ingredients to use based upon the result we wish which allows for a lot of experimentation early on as you are working up your skills. 

The added benefit is that all ingredients, regardless of the tier, can have some benefit, some use all based upon the results you are wanting.  Those who want to Cooking to be their primary tradeskill can really differentiate themselves from others through creative combinations of ingredients.  You won't, hopefully, see a marketplace just packed with all the same thing.

Like Vandraad I am a huge fan of cooking and food in games. I would love to see a system in place like the one he describes above.

• 124 posts
    November 5, 2021 9:53 AM PDT

I really want cooking / baking / brewing to be genuinely viable trade skills, and for that to happen, the items you produce need to have value. Buffs are an obvious one, but they can, as stated previously, make things pretty unbalanced if they stack with other buffs / effects. Maybe they could give you buffs such as a variant of Spirit of The Wolf, not quite as good, doesn't stack, but still far better than traveling at normal running speed. Night vision / ultravision, or water breathing are beneficial / valuable buffs too, but they are not game breaking, so they could be granted from crafted food items. You could also justify making buffs such as water breathing from food items last far longer compared to a buff spell since it has a moneytary cost implication to consuming it.

I also like the lack of food, and subsequent starvation associated with it affecting health / mana regen as that gives food a legitimate value, other than taking up slots in your inventory. Crafted food should last far longer than vendor / summoned food, too.

• 258 posts
    November 5, 2021 11:30 AM PDT

dorotea said:

I agree with the seeming consensus that we should not need to eat or drink to survive - as in more than one much earlier game. Sure it is realistic - so is needing to defecate and I doubt VR plans on having us spend part of a play session on the toilet or to have achievements or titles based on defecatory success.

Equally I agree that benefits should be marginal. Buffs that reduce downtime  are good - not much fun waiting out of combat for health or power to come back. Buffs without which you cannot win a fight (except maybe a high end boss fight) - not so good. We should be able to use food and drink but it should not be all but mandatory.

Misread your word: 'defecate' as 'defocate'. Sorry XD

This post was edited by Arzoth at November 5, 2021 11:30 AM PDT
    • 33 posts
    November 7, 2021 1:08 AM PDT

Personally love a cooking aspect, I don't see it as being much different than any other profession in games. It's fun and adds a lot of life to my experience. If you craft a breastplate that's better than most gear your level isn't that as much of an earned advantage as cooking food that gives a temporary hp regen? I explored an avenue to the game, I was rewarded. I can kill and grind mobs for food and other sellables and those looking for some extra money can sell it to someone that needs it. Seems like an easy win cycle.

• 150 posts
    November 7, 2021 5:49 AM PST

Since this thread already has enough answers to the first and last question, which I couldn't add much to beyond agreeing, I'll just comment on the second question. Part of the draw of culinary arts in a virtual world is the acquisition of ingredients. Eggs, for example, might be nestled in a tree's topmost branches or hidden along treacherous cliffsides, similar to Faroe Islands and fulmars. Other eggs might be laying in plain sight at ground level, but so large in size that the only practical options would be to break them open at the location or haul each away, one encumbered player at a time, and always with the risk of a full grown version returning to protect its offspring. Similar possibilities are there for brewing as well. Really cheap backwoods (pre-elven) Faerthale moonshine. All the better if prohibition exists in certain regions, with a speakeasy or two and bootleggers abound.  

And then there are other uses for food and drink besides consumption. Pies shoved into faces (DDDA has festival pies that can cause blindness when thrown at a target and though they aren't edible, they can be presented as gifts). Tomatoes thrown at unremarkable performances (potentially lowering charisma). A bag of uncooked rice used to restore advanced gnome products that received water damage. A trail of bread crumbs or bonbons leading that unsuspecting NPC off into a dark alley. Meals prepared as offerings to the gods. Even an ordinary glass of water, when splashed in a man's face, becomes so much more, a device that causes embarrassment and draws unwanted attention.

One of the better quests in EQ involved obtaining a prickly pear. When given over to a certain NPC, mishandled and devoured by them, the fruit would cause blood drops to stain a note. The blood from the note could then used in a dark ritual, furthering the quest and eventually leading to that NPC's demise. The fruit itself was uncommon enough, only dropping in one zone, and there was added risk of consuming it if the player ran out of other food or didn't take care to place it deeper in their inventory. It also shared the same look as an iron ration, so there was a chance for human error, mistaking one for the other when trying to buy and sell and make space in one's bags. There are so many other games to get ideas from too though. The art from the "Hot Soup" MtG card comes to mind. Pour a pot of boiling stew down onto a climbing NPC? That should loosen their grip and do at least some minor damage over time.

This post was edited by Leevolen at November 7, 2021 6:06 AM PST
    • 768 posts
    November 8, 2021 12:19 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Tavern Talk - Food - Are you a fan of food in MMORG's and what food would you like to see in Pantheon? Bonus question, should food give you buffs and health regen? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

I recall someone mentioning: creating worlds not games. So in a world is food simple as that. 

It can give a lot of dept to a races or to environments. And it like an open door towards questing/content opportunities. So wouldn't you invest in it?

So many tradeskill and storyline options. 

Do you need to get buffs from them.. that is a possiblity, perhaps it can work as a mitigator instead, without food/drink you'd be worse of. That way you dont add buffs but rather equalize what otherwise be detrimental. (to a degree ofc)

• 2091 posts
    November 18, 2021 5:00 PM PST

Barin999 said: Do you need to get buffs from them.. that is a possiblity, perhaps it can work as a mitigator instead, without food/drink you'd be worse of. That way you dont add buffs but rather equalize what otherwise be detrimental. (to a degree ofc)

I like that idea. Perhaps food/drink could impart a short term benefit to acclimation. Some % of a glyph's protection for 30 secs. or a minute.

• 454 posts
    November 18, 2021 8:43 PM PST

I'm all for eating and drinking, as an important small but measurable buff.  I laugh at those that bring up toileting as something no one wants to do, so why do food.  D'uh.  Food is fun, eating is interesting.  Recipies are many and varied.  Buffs can vary with the ingredients.  Cooking is a hobbie for many.  Nobody plans to spend an hour in the bathroom for fun. Ha ha.