Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Tavern Talk - RNG - Give us your best loot story!

• 9115 posts
    October 21, 2021 4:05 AM PDT

Tavern Talk - RNG (Random Number Generator) - Give us your best MMORPG RNG loot story! What was it and how long had you waited to get it? P.S. Liking this gives +50 RNG karma just so you know ;) #MMORPG#CommunityMatters

• 223 posts
    October 21, 2021 4:48 AM PDT

/roll 1000 on a Nagafen Cloak of Flames on my Druid, was the last roll and won :)

• 2419 posts
    October 21, 2021 9:10 AM PDT

/random 100 on an Aegis of the Dragorn Elders off Ture in Anguish.  Rolled a 99..and lost to the only other person whole rolled for it.

EDIT: More stories.

Working on my wizard's epic 1.0 and needed the drop off Phinigel Atropos in Kedge Keep.  He spawns exactly every 12 hours. I had to kill him 52 times in a row to get my drop.  Meanwhile every other class that also had a drop off Phinny for their epics got their drops.

Vex Thal Key:  RNG blessed me in that I got all 10 shards for the key in under 1 real day.  :)  I knew people who quite EQ completely because they couldn't get their key after weeks of trying.

PoFear raids:  Dread, Terror and Fright would DeathTouch upon aggro then DT again 30 seconds later.  72 person raid...what are the odds the 2nd person to get DT would be me?  Well, apparently it was 100% three times in a row.

GhoulBane:  A great paladin weapon from UpperGuk that procced Dismiss Undead when fighting undead. Took a month to get that damn sword and was so proud of it.  Immediately went to go fight undead and never..not once, did that sword ever proc. But fighting living creatures I would constantly see the message that this spell does not affect this creature.  I got so pissed off I deleted the sword then deleted the character and switched to a different class.

This post was edited by Vandraad at October 21, 2021 9:30 AM PDT
    • 1288 posts
    October 21, 2021 9:15 AM PDT

Pfft, there's no way to "like" this on a forum!  But....I like it!  I guess there is a way.

So +50 RNG karma for liking it and probably -100 for not having a good story.  I have never been huge on loot.  I like it, of course!  I go searching it out, yes!  But whether I get the loot or not is not what makes the story memorable to me.  I'll give two examples.

1.  I don't remember the name of the item, sorry, but it was some weight reduction bag.  We had been working toward getting this item for some time, it was a rare drop at the location and I passed on the first couple drops to let friends take them.  The named finally spawned again and I somehow died during the fight, but it was also my turn to loot the item.  My group left the item on the corpse (because it was no drop) until I got bak.  Right as I got there someone else from outside our group looted the item before I could do it.  I was mad, probably about as mad as I'd ever gotten in years.  Why did I choose this story?  Because I believe all emotions belong in a game in order to make it feel like a world, not just a game.  Without anger, frustration, boredom, or whatever other "negative" emotion people try to avoid, the good stuff will never feel as good.  

2.  There was a quest spawn that was next on my list of things to do.  The spawn timer was something like 40 minutes with maybe a 10% chance of spawning the named that I needed.  I got home Friday early afternoon and planned on finishing this part of the quest that night if possible.  That night turned into the next morning...without sleep.  That morning turned into that evening.  I kept thinking "it's gonna spawn next."  And it just never spawned.  Finally Sunday evening it finally spawned...thank you RNG and hello BED!  I include this story because as I reflect on that weekend I've realized that I used to blame the game for that behavior, but in reality it was my own choice to play the way I played.  If it took 75 spawns to get the named to spawn no one was forcing me to stay there and do it all in one shot.  I had the choice to do 2 or 3 spawns at a time.  Come back and check once a day, or twice a week, or whatever pace I was confortable with.  I'll always try to keep this story in mind to remind myself that I get to choose how I play a game, I don't let the game dictate when I log in, or how long I stay logged in.  I choose.  

• VR Staff
    • 354 posts
    October 21, 2021 12:37 PM PDT

43 kills of Phinegal in Kedge Keep for a wizard epic quest piece. I could swim from the entrance to the ledge in less than 40 seconds.

• 2138 posts
    October 21, 2021 10:34 PM PDT

*face splits*

whaddaya mean "you need lev" you're a ranger! in 5 levels you will have spirit of eagle! You need lev? Fine, make me your friend. whenever "you need lev" you call me I will come to whereever you are- I'm serious- even in the temple of Cazic Thule, even down in the pyramid, even in the sewers, and I will summon you a ring as many as you want. They will stay with you untill you camp each with 5 charges of lev on them. 

"I still need lev"

No! you don't! what are you going to do?! hang on to that thing and then treat it like its your retirement plan and sell it in the bazaar when you dont need it? you know how hard it is to find let alone get it to drop? you DO know. need lev my a**!! ok fine, can you help me get one? its for the epic.

"No, im helping my monk friend get one for him- it takes too long I dont want to do it again"

I hope you die. I hope you NEVER get spirit of eagle.

*sigh* ok, kill every lioness- I dont have track...some say run straight from the bridge and just to the left about half way to paw is a stationary lioness, that is the PH if its the right one, kill her and then it should pop, sometimes right above paw, sometimes all the way over by the shadowed men but then roams towards paw and then to the aviak village.

there! *shout* "MINE! I'm a mage! please!"  ...feathered leggings?! what the...

6 months and as many sundays and 4 feathered leggings later Finally! Quillimane's cloak. clicky lev my a**. At least I have plenty of wizard friends to get me to sky.

• 20 posts
    October 22, 2021 7:50 AM PDT

So I was farming for the Aegis of Life quest back in vanilla Everquest. This quest required you to kill undead Lord Grimrot which was a very rare spawn at a particular camp in Southern Karanas. After about a week of off and on farming while competing with other clerics and paladins I finally had him spawn. Come to find out there is no way my cleric could solo this guy who harm touched immeadiately for 50% of my HP. So in a panic I kited the mob while trying to slowly wittle him down while chain rooting and medding. During all this I whispered my best in game friend at the time who was on the other side of the world that I needed help to kill this mob for a amazing wisdom shield. About 30 minutes later my friend arrives and I finally down the guy with both of us almost dead and out of mana. Turned in my quest for shield and felt incredibly epic as it was much harder than expected.

Edit: Shield was one of the best shields in the game at the time with maybe only one or two better from boss mobs. I was one of maybe 5-7 people with it on the server so I got whispers all the time about how bad ass my shield was. Thanks to Draz my old EQ friend for saving my life and quest.

This post was edited by Grambeaux at October 22, 2021 7:58 AM PDT