Forums » News and Announcements

Map of Kingsreach (from 5/13 stream)

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    May 13, 2021 7:33 PM PDT

The lastest map of Kingsreach as revealed on the 5/13 stream. Enjoy!

This post was edited by Roenick at May 13, 2021 7:37 PM PDT
    • 88 posts
    May 13, 2021 7:34 PM PDT

Ok I see the pic now, thanks Roenick!

This post was edited by Valheru at May 13, 2021 7:34 PM PDT
    • 231 posts
    May 14, 2021 7:19 AM PDT

Is Avaun a new name for Faerthale City?

• 38 posts
    May 14, 2021 10:05 AM PDT

You can get a bigger view by right clicking and opening in a new tab.

• 413 posts
    May 14, 2021 2:20 PM PDT

There is a big deep watery hole in Silent Plains, does current flow out from there?  Whats in the bottom of the big hole?  ...lol

• 2886 posts
    May 14, 2021 2:31 PM PDT

Knowing that this is literal terrain that is in the game now, and also having gotten a feel for how massive Faerthale is... this impressively large. Especially since it's just one of three launch continents. 

• 1921 posts
    May 14, 2021 2:36 PM PDT
    Has the difference between the dotted red lines and dotted white lines been explained?
    • 1860 posts
    May 14, 2021 4:26 PM PDT

vjek said: Has the difference between the dotted red lines and dotted white lines been explained?

Vandraad mentioned on discord that Nephele said they were just leftover artifacts.

• 1281 posts
    May 14, 2021 5:38 PM PDT

I do not recall there being any information released on The Roans or Eastern Plains before. Is this announcing those zones officially or have I missed something in the past?

• 2050 posts
    May 14, 2021 5:50 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I do not recall there being any information released on The Roans or Eastern Plains before. Is this announcing those zones officially or have I missed something in the past?

Well there IS this:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/races/humans/
    Yet
    in the thaws of Spring, the Human King Amensol rallied his people to found a city all their own: Havensong. Settled in a forest at the base of the Roan Mountains,

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/races/elves/
    Thus
    , the Elven era of Terminus began with promise. Once a home was secured in the clefts of the Roan mountains, the Heartseed was planted with solemn ceremony. This tree they named Lucent, the Third Light.

https://pantheonriseofthefallen.fandom.com/wiki/Floor_of_Heavens_(White_Gate)

And this: "The Floor of Heavens is a pressure point for the larger Elven body. Once it was a treasured place of pilgrimage for worship and reflection. Now this border to the Roan mountains is an inhospitable wasteland, watched over only by the Elves of Dythiir’s Hand, who are stationed at the White Gate." You may recall that Thaeolyn Greyborne commands a troop of Dythiir's Hand there.

:D

This post was edited by Jothany at May 14, 2021 5:58 PM PDT
    • 188 posts
    May 14, 2021 7:52 PM PDT
    Very nice! And great find Jothany
    • 394 posts
    May 14, 2021 11:27 PM PDT

Caine said:

There is a big deep watery hole in Silent Plains, does current flow out from there?  Whats in the bottom of the big hole?  ...lol

We know that the Silent Plains was the site of a giant battle, I think it looks more like the scar of a ground zero nuke magic

• 41 posts
    May 17, 2021 4:07 PM PDT

My new desktop background. Mentally drooling with anticipatiion to explore every nook and crook.

• 1785 posts
    May 18, 2021 7:36 AM PDT

philo said:

vjek said: Has the difference between the dotted red lines and dotted white lines been explained?

Vandraad mentioned on discord that Nephele said they were just leftover artifacts.

I actually had it wrong in that conversation, so let me correct it here!  The red lines are actually denoting areas of biome transitions, or how far the biome of one zone bleeds into the next - think about plains giving way to deserts, or forests giving way to steppes.  Even though there's a zoneline that you cross, from an art perspective, we don't want you to feel like you've somehow "skipped" a lot of land area.

For my crafters and gatherers out there, I'll also add that almost every area you see represented on the map is going to have at least one unique type of gathered resource associated with it - something that can only be found in that particular region of the world, and that's intentional.

This post was edited by Nephele at May 18, 2021 7:41 AM PDT
    • 1860 posts
    May 18, 2021 8:30 AM PDT

@neph

So the red lines are "biome transition" so it doesn't end up like middle earth where you go from the plains of Rohan to Fangorn forest and it's a wall, a dividing line.  That makes sense.  It's the landscape transitioning.

The white lines are zone lines.

I guess after looking at the map I'm wondering why there aren't more red lines?  Are they simply not finished?  From Faerthale to Silent Plains there's no transition? Those seem like very different landscapes. Or AP to SP etc?

Side note...I'm not opposed to the Tolkein version of transitioning abruptly from one landscape to another.  It's a fantasy world. Either way.

This post was edited by philo at May 18, 2021 8:30 AM PDT
    • 1785 posts
    May 18, 2021 8:54 AM PDT

The reason you don't see red lines everywhere is that not every zone has a biome transition that needs to occur - in some of them, the zone itself will be the biome transition as you move from one side to the other.  In other cases, we actually want to have a sharp transition because of landscape features.  Also, there are some places where we probably just forgot to draw the lines when we were making the map :)

• 1860 posts
    May 18, 2021 9:17 AM PDT

Thanks for the clarification neph.

• 2138 posts
    May 25, 2021 10:26 AM PDT

I hope that big grey island/rock between South Saol and Wilds End has something or things  scuttling about on it (that can be killed or harvested whatever), and perhaps more substantial things under it. Or better, if at sometime it erupts and changes the things on it and under it or creates one way underwater sluice ways? or lava tubes? maybe leading to holes in the mountanous terrain near the locked areas? or inward towards the known areas? or both? So you can take a boat and be assured of your destination or if so acclimated, use up some acclimation on a lava tube in the hopes it will spit you out there, (but you could end up wayyy over there) and there is also a chance that the lavatube could intersect a sluice from which the resulting steam could create a different, new-word-for-atmosphere. Toxic, or even cold and pop you out here.  Or  stop you in an cavern with the new atmosphere that you have to find another way out. 

I mean, there goes your plans, but risk vs reward right?. We could have taken the boat and made sandwiches and gone to the bathroom, but nooooo. You were in a hurry. It will be faster they said...  

This post was edited by Manouk at May 25, 2021 10:38 AM PDT