Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Highest monthly subscription cost for a current game?

• 2051 posts
    August 10, 2020 1:47 PM PDT

I am wondering what most of the major, well known games charge for a monthly sub and who has the highest sub.

(I'm not really interested in 'average cost' for ones that use a different system than monthly subs.)

Thanks.

This post was edited by Jothany at August 10, 2020 1:47 PM PDT
    • 1860 posts
    August 10, 2020 5:50 PM PDT

There are mmorpgs out there that are pure subscription without any kind of cash shop or extra paid perks or pay wall?  Let me know what they are.  That was one of the main draws to this game.  I'm not aware of any...

• 5 posts
    August 11, 2020 3:39 PM PDT

I have never paid any more than $15 a month for any MMO sub. That is also a monthly recurring, it is typically cheaper if you play for more than one month at a time.

• 3852 posts
    August 12, 2020 2:41 AM PDT

I too don't recall any over $15 a month with lower rates if you buy longer periods. WoW is almost subscription only and DAOC which is one of the oldest MMOs never had a subscription though it may have added an alternative recently.

• 2051 posts
    August 13, 2020 8:37 PM PDT

Thanks for the info. It has been a few years or so since I payed a sub, and I was paying $15 then. The way prices go, I expected them to be up to $20 by now. Still a deal, considering how much use one can get in a month.

• 844 posts
    August 14, 2020 11:11 AM PDT

In 1999 I was paying $15/mo for EQ1. I just don't understand how that price-point hasn't moved up after all these years.

• 2051 posts
    August 14, 2020 10:48 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

In 1999 I was paying $15/mo for EQ1. I just don't understand how that price-point hasn't moved up after all these years.

I feel the same. I was at $13/mo then for AC, but it went to $15 within a few years. Nothing else I know is nearly the same price today.

• 2051 posts
    August 23, 2020 5:23 PM PDT

Bankie said:

The real question is how are those cards only $14.99? The store needs to make money?

I'd expect that the stores see those cards as "loss leaders". They don't sell them to make money, they may well accept 0 profit on them. They sell them to get gamers into the store, where the temptation to buy stuff on impulse is extremely high. For good measure, they usually place loss leaders at the very back of the store, so you have to walk past tons of displays to get to them.

Convenience stores often have loss leaders like milk or bread. Once you are there for the deal on it, you'll likely buy the few other things you need there, instead of going elsewhere for the rest of your shopping list.

• 888 posts
    October 2, 2020 10:53 AM PDT
    @Bankie,
    I suspect the stores are paying less than the $14.99 "value" of the card. Game companies are probably happy to get less because this is akin to having their game on display in the store. They get free advertising and probably pick up a few new players.
    • 9115 posts
    October 5, 2020 4:23 PM PDT

Thread cleaned up, please remain on topic or leave the thread alone for others to continue the discussion.

• 13 posts
    October 11, 2020 1:10 PM PDT

When EQ came out, the monthly subscription was probably based off on the current market price of e-Commerce monthly subscriptions at the time. That would be an outdated model by today's standards, since most games are now F2P. I would guess that the current market price for a subscription should be relative to what the average person may spend on MT's if you want to maintain the same profitability. However, this number could be below the minimum operational costs, in which case a sub price must be raised. This number may also be way above what consumers are willing to pay for a "subscription", in which case it's obvious why MT's are the preferred model for most games, because it maximizes profits, as consumers are much more obliged to spend $100 on MT's a month, but not $100 for a subscription.

Also, "gift card" fees are paid by the company, which is why a $100 gift card costs you exactly $100. When you purchase a "prepaid debit card", you pay the fees, so a $100 prepaid debit card will cost you $104.95 + tax. Gift card sales are also counted as pure profit until they are redeemed, so companies like it when you purchase them. When you buy a $100 McDonald's gift card, it's like they are selling you $100 of food, but they haven't given you the food yet!

• 844 posts
    October 14, 2020 12:02 PM PDT

Naos said:

When EQ came out, the monthly subscription was probably based off on the current market price of e-Commerce monthly subscriptions at the time. That would be an outdated model by today's standards, since most games are now F2P. I would guess that the current market price for a subscription should be relative to what the average person may spend on MT's if you want to maintain the same profitability. However, this number could be below the minimum operational costs, in which case a sub price must be raised. This number may also be way above what consumers are willing to pay for a "subscription", in which case it's obvious why MT's are the preferred model for most games, because it maximizes profits, as consumers are much more obliged to spend $100 on MT's a month, but not $100 for a subscription.

EQ was the first.

There was no "current market price" for a true first-person, 3D MMORPG.

The only other game close to what EQ was, was UO. Which was a much more simplistic, isometric, side-scrolling game with horrible bugs, extensive hacking problems and bad infrastructure issues that caused  daily server crashes resulting in multi-hour roll-backs.

Only Brad and the SOE exec's (Smedley) know why EQ pricing was set where it was in the start. It was unbroken ground.

The rest of what you say is dribble.

Pricing models are much more complex than simply saying everything is FTP now. Because it ain't FTP, is it. It's actually P2Win, Grind2Win, Gamble2Win.

Games are designed to be addictive. That started to be Game Design 101 over a decade ago. Trigger those collecting, farming, OCD mentalities in the kiddies. Create ridiculous PVP competitions with unobtainable gear to trigger the incessant drive to have the best gear, best weapon, be better - at any cost. Even if it means cheating, hacking and yes paying for it.

A reason why games rarely ever penalize and ban players for cheating, hacking, stealing. Short time-outs might be the worst for even the worst exploiters. Because it keeps other players raging, and more likely to spend their way to retribution and virtual percieved fame.

So-called FTP games began to play the players. You need to farm this and that quest every day. You need to grind these bits out. You need this faction, that item, which is now the uber-best item. Once you feel compelled to log into a game because you have to do a quest daily, water your plants, feed your animals, etc. You are now being played by the game and are on their schedule.

Game companies keep the content fresh. Keep introducing a new lines of better and more $$$ gear and grind2win quests every few weeks. Keep the rabid kiddies grinding, RNGing, spending.

The monetary RNG tricks and cheating done by game companies which should be classified as gambling operations. And imo are criminal. Our(US) criminal justice system has turned a blind eye due to the simple fact legislaters were not technically savvy enough to understand what is really going on, and nobody was complaining (nobody with enough money for them to bother with).

This post was edited by zewtastic at October 14, 2020 12:03 PM PDT
    • 394 posts
    October 14, 2020 4:06 PM PDT

Before EQ the pay model was to pay for the ammount of time you spent connected to the server.

I think it was Smedly who talked about getting a huge bill from an online tank combat game at one point.

It was pretty much the same rates as those call girls in the 90s.