Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

When has enough time passed to talk about Brad?

This topic has been closed.
    • 1860 posts
    April 15, 2020 1:46 PM PDT

I don't want to step on any toes.  I understand it is a touchy subject.  

They say time heals all wounds.  When is it ok to have an discussion about what happened to Brad? 

I expected VR to at least give some kind of public statement about what happened, even if they didn't give details and spun it in the best light (like most obituaries do).  We never got that.  All we got was "with deepest regrets,  Aradune has passed away."  and "we kindly ask that you respect the privacy of Brad’s family."  Which are both very reasonable responses at the time.  

If the answer is still to soon then fair enough. 

It seems like something that needs to be addressed eventually.  It's not going to go away.  If it is never addressed we will still be asking questions about it years/decades from now.

This post was edited by philo at April 15, 2020 1:58 PM PDT
    • 500 posts
    April 15, 2020 2:08 PM PDT

Sorry, but I don't see anything that needs to be discussed.  Brads passing was announced, and a video of his memorial service was posted.  What more could you want?  The details of his death are a private matter, and many families choose not to discuss these in public.  If the family wishes to share any further details they will do so once they have dealt with their grief... or never discuss it any further in public. The choice is theirs either way.  Just my 2cp 

• 1860 posts
    April 15, 2020 2:22 PM PDT

I understand that point of view.  It sounds like you are saying it is still to soon.  Its only been 6 months so I agree with the to soon mindset.

Brad is someone many of us have followed closely for 20 years.  Many of us consider him a visionary who had a huge influence on our lives.

It is only because we care that the questions aren't going to go away. 

Edit:  Eventually it will come to the point where the community discusses it openly...including lots of rumors and speculation.  It is only out of respect for the man (I don't use the word respect often/lightly) that hasn't happened much already.  I'm hoping either VR or the family at least says something before that happens.

This post was edited by philo at April 15, 2020 3:10 PM PDT
    • 1315 posts
    April 15, 2020 2:55 PM PDT

With HIPAA privacy laws being as they are I don't think VR even can legally give any specifics, if anyone there even knows which they may not.  Anything specific would need to come from Brad's family directly.  It might be something we are curious about just because we still feel connected to Brad in our own ways but it is deeply personal and likely very painful still for Brads family.  I think decades is likely the time frame I would think is the earliest it would be anything but brutally uncool and insensitive to ask them for more information and even then it would need to be for something like a documentary on Brad's life.

This post was edited by Trasak at April 15, 2020 6:06 PM PDT
    • 1860 posts
    April 15, 2020 2:57 PM PDT

I don't think anyone would expect specific details.  It seems like it will be discussed somewhat openly in the community before decades have passed.  That could end badly. (see my edit above).

This post was edited by philo at April 15, 2020 3:03 PM PDT
    • 633 posts
    April 15, 2020 5:49 PM PDT

Trasak said:

With HEPA privacy laws being as they are I don't think VR even can legally give any specifics, if anyone there even knows which they may not.  Anything specific would need to come from Brad's family directly.  It might be something we are curious about just because we still feel connected to Brad in our own ways but it is deeply personal and likely very painful still for Brads family.  I think decades is likely the time frame I would think is the earliest it would be anything but brutally uncool and insensitive to ask them for more information and even then it would need to be for something like a documentary on Brad's life.

For those that don't know what HEPA is, it's a very high quality air filter.  But...

What he probably meant was HIPAA, which is a set of laws and regulations in the US that governs the privacy and handling of medical information about a person.

• 1315 posts
    April 15, 2020 5:59 PM PDT

lol oops fair point.  Though no one really wants to talk about how dirty their air filter is.

• 2045 posts
    April 15, 2020 6:10 PM PDT

It is not in any way up to VR to release information about Brad. It is up to the McQuaid family.

In the absence of publicly released facts, I'd expect VR to have very limited tolerance on these forums for rumors and speculations about his passing.

• 1860 posts
    April 15, 2020 10:37 PM PDT

Jothany said:

It is not in any way up to VR to release information about Brad. It is up to the McQuaid family.

In the absence of publicly released facts, I'd expect VR to have very limited tolerance on these forums for rumors and speculations about his passing.

I don't think this forum is where we would most have to worry about negative rumors and speculation being spread.   That being said, there are so many forums that all tie together within the community.  

We have likely all heard the rumblings lately.  Without it being addressed it will only escalate.  Maybe there is no stopping it if no one is willing to address it and that's just the way it is?  It's a shame :/

This post was edited by philo at April 15, 2020 10:43 PM PDT
    • 1315 posts
    April 16, 2020 4:07 AM PDT

I guess I don’t know what you are referring to as far as community rumblings.  If it is about the unhappiness that we still don’t have a PA5 date much less and alpha/beta/release target I do not see how that has anything directly to do with any specifics about the loss of Brad.  We as a community lost him and I can understand how that would shake confidence in the game finishing as is nature any time a group loses a leader, but the specifics have no baring on that.

Anything rumored about any specifics are exactly that, rumors.  They are rumors of a very personal nature that have nothing to do with VR as a company.  The McQuaid’s families right to privacy should be championed by this community not pressured by it.

So ultimately, yes it is too soon.  Realistically and empathetically it will forever be too soon to ask though it is up to the McQuaid family if they ever voluntarily share for reasons of their own emotional healing.

(Green Heart)

• 99 posts
    April 16, 2020 4:17 AM PDT

Please out of respect for the family don't go down this road. I can accept that its none of my buisness and rumors are for children this is uncool by any standard. Staying on your side of the fence makes for good neighbors.

• 500 posts
    April 16, 2020 7:00 AM PDT

Trasak said:

I guess I don’t know what you are referring to as far as community rumblings.  If it is about the unhappiness that we still don’t have a PA5 date much less and alpha/beta/release target I do not see how that has anything directly to do with any specifics about the loss of Brad.  We as a community lost him and I can understand how that would shake confidence in the game finishing as is nature any time a group loses a leader, but the specifics have no baring on that.

Anything rumored about any specifics are exactly that, rumors.  They are rumors of a very personal nature that have nothing to do with VR as a company.  The McQuaid’s families right to privacy should be championed by this community not pressured by it.

So ultimately, yes it is too soon.  Realistically and empathetically it will forever be too soon to ask though it is up to the McQuaid family if they ever voluntarily share for reasons of their own emotional healing.

(Green Heart)

Agree 100% Trasak. The family will decide if they wish to address the circumstances of Brad's passing at some future date... or never have any public discussions at all.  Leave the family to grieve in peace. 

• 1860 posts
    April 16, 2020 8:18 AM PDT
    I agree with the consensus but that wont stop others. The internet is what it is. We can't just turn a blind eye and have Brad's name dragged through the mud and tarnish his legacy imho. It hasnt ramped up yet but if you havent noticed it you havent been paying attention (that is what lead to this thread).
    Like was mentioned, this forum is a safer place than most. Older, more mature, more love for Brad.

The only way I see this not becoming an issue is if Pantheon shuts down. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'm concerned what it will become.
    • 2045 posts
    April 16, 2020 10:51 AM PDT

People who START (as opposed to joining in) rumors and speculation often do so because hearing such garbage can be so unpleasant for the family that they are pressured to come out publicly with the true details in order to stop it. Thus, success for those who start such rumors is measured by how many people they can get involved in the discussion. If the public conversation gets loud enough, then the family will hear it and feel the pressure.

Since none of us have any power over what other people say on other forums, we can't make them stop.The most anyone of us can do is to refrain from contributing to the spread of such offensive ideas. Giving them any publicity anywhere - like starting a conversation about 'rumblings' on these forums for instance - is exactly what they want you to do for them.

It's hard to resist talking about something we are curious about, but when you accept that it's none of our business, then the only positive contribution we can make to the situation is to refuse to be drawn in.

This post was edited by Jothany at April 16, 2020 11:23 AM PDT
    • 1860 posts
    April 16, 2020 12:36 PM PDT

You must not have made any difficult PR announcments John? That is something I have had to do a handful of times over the years and again recently with the virus and public closures.

With a carefully worded statement VR could definitely quell the rumors and not step on the toes of the family.

It's something that the family shouldn't have to do. The family isnt responsible for the online gaming community but I'm sure they would prefer to keep Brad's name clean. VR has much more influence than you seem to be giving them credit for in this situation.

I can understand VR not wanting to make a statement until it becomes more of an issue. At the same time it is best to get out ahead of it. So at this point it makes sense to wait and see how it plays out.

I'm hoping my concerns are invalid and it doesn't become an issue.

This post was edited by philo at April 16, 2020 12:38 PM PDT
  • April 16, 2020 12:39 PM PDT

Hello friends, fellow Fantheons...

We celebrate Brad's life and legacy, and how it carries on as a beacon in Pantheon.

We do not discuss his death, out of respect for his family.

I am going to close this thread now.
    Brasse