Forums » Pantheon Races

Racial activated abilities

• 947 posts
    June 12, 2023 9:46 PM PDT

Counterfleche said:

I expect that they will wait until all races have been playable for a while and they have adequate balance and feedback.   That way the activated abilities will be designed with a good feel for what's needed and for how they can help keep things balanced.   It's much harder to design all this in advance and try to make it all fit properly.   That said, I'm sure they have some very good ideas on what they want and a big part of not telling us is to not paint themselves into a corner if something isn't fun, is grossly imbalanced,  or doesn't work as intended. 

I get their desire to not paint themselves into a corner, but I'm just asking for high level reveal of the ideas (similar to the passive abilities already revealed - which give no exact numerical values, but simply the "theme" of what they are going for).  Like, are they going to be combat oriented, perhaps traversal or regenerative?  

Again, I get what you are saying, but I'm not asking for details.  (I'm sure they don't know the details of any of the racial passives yet either).

• 17 posts
    July 20, 2023 11:49 PM PDT

Darch said:

I get their desire to not paint themselves into a corner, but I'm just asking for high level reveal of the ideas (similar to the passive abilities already revealed - which give no exact numerical values, but simply the "theme" of what they are going for). Like, are they going to be combat oriented, perhaps traversal or regenerative?

I really hope they go for non-combat abilities.

Players pick their race based on various criteria: The Lore, Appearance/Armour Style, Available Classes, Stats/Min-Maxing, Starting Area. (Why do you pick a certain race?)

But with active racial abilities, I think it would be better to have ones that can affect other players (Since this is a social game) such as:

-Dark Myr can passively breath underwater, but get an active ability to create an air bubble for others to restore breath with.
    -Gnomes are kind of glowy so could temporarily act as a light source (Brighter when not wearing clothes).
    -Elves grant a group buff for lore appropriate/forest based gathering nodes. (Since gathering large nodes is a group activity).
    -Archai learn to channel their inner (and outer) rock, increasing the windshear acclimation of group members behind them.

Alternatively. Some races may not get any active abilities, other might get multiple, or learned later from quests instead of innately.

Pantheon has many forms of horizontal progression: Acclimation, Taming, Climbing, Swimming, Sprinting, Gathering, Perception, Vision, Faction, Carry Capacity etc. that can and should be tapped in to. With racial passives heavily centred around personal combat, having unique abilities that allow interaction between other players would be much better than everyone having a variety of ‘get out of specific CC’ racial buttons (IMO).

This post was edited by Oakenaire at July 20, 2023 11:54 PM PDT
    • 24 posts
    July 31, 2023 8:10 AM PDT

I would like to see that each race has several racials, so you can choose the best one for your class. All race/class combinations are useful then.

It would be great to have a racial questline to even improve the racial at one point. Make it stronger or give it a higher proc chance.

When it comes to proc chances, they should be checked not just once but every sec.. This way a 5 sec stun could be at least reduced to a 2 or 3 sec one.

This post was edited by Noxa at July 31, 2023 8:11 AM PDT
    • 80 posts
    September 14, 2023 12:33 PM PDT

Zosu said:

Do we know there will be activated for races? In many ways I hope there won't.

I agree with this 100%. Even most racial passives are too much. It just adds unnessesary balance headaches and makes the world bland when warriors feel like they have to be Ogres to compete.