Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Customizable UI/Interface

• 81 posts
    August 22, 2015 9:28 AM PDT

I love UI's I can customize. I am sure each of us like to have our screen laid out in a certain to manage our OCD haha! I do not really care for the addons we see in WoW these days. Just the other day my brother in law who leads raids with me kept telling me to get this certain addon. I told him I didnt need it. He told me its funny that I am anti addons! With that being said I am in favor of custom skins we could install to change the the look of the UI cosmetically. 

• 158 posts
    August 22, 2015 4:22 PM PDT

I actually greatly dislike addons/mods in mmos. Ability to customize the look and placement of windows and stuff is perfectly ok but when you get things fundamentally changing gameplay it becomes a problem. There should never be a point where you need a custom addon or layout to be able to function correctly.

• 105 posts
    August 24, 2015 5:35 PM PDT

I dislike having a different UI give you an advantage. So if you want to customize the UI in cosmetic ways, I think that makes sense, but players who use the UI given them by the developers should be on a level field with those who use custom UIs.

• 595 posts
    August 24, 2015 5:46 PM PDT
    Kayd said:

I dislike having a different UI give you an advantage. So if you want to customize the UI in cosmetic ways, I think that makes sense, but players who use the UI given them by the developers should be on a level field with those who use custom UIs.

I think the debate is more one of functionality and efficiency (and ultimately preference) over inherent advantage, actual or perceived.  I want the ability to customize my UI  in order to be as efficient as possible (I'm purely speaking of moving and arranging existing UI elements, not using add-ons of any kind).  If this efficiency gives me a slight advantage over someone who has arranged their UI in a less optimal manner (contingent on play style of course) then so be it.  

• 158 posts
    August 24, 2015 10:14 PM PDT
    Nikademis said:
    Kayd said:

I think the debate is more one of functionality and efficiency (and ultimately preference) over inherent advantage, actual or perceived.  I want the ability to customize my UI  in order to be as efficient as possible (I'm purely speaking of moving and arranging existing UI elements, not using add-ons of any kind).  If this efficiency gives me a slight advantage over someone who has arranged their UI in a less optimal manner (contingent on play style of course) then so be it.  

This I think is ok. Where it starts being a problem is when people can add in new UI elements that are more efficient than is remotely possible with the default UI (this was and probably still is a huge issue with World of Warcraft). Just being able to move UI items around and resize, etc. is well within reason I think.

• 105 posts
    August 26, 2015 11:20 AM PDT
    Nikademis said:
    Kayd said:

I'm just recalling some of the debates that occurred over ESO, where the default UI was designed to lead you to focus on the world, but they originally allows custom UIs that would give you opponent health bars and other things not in the default UI. Being able to rearrange the display and controls to be optimal for you is obviously a good thing, whether it gives an edge or not. It's when a custom UI gives you whole new things like a mini-map that's not in the default UI I think it becomes unfair.

• 595 posts
    August 26, 2015 11:37 AM PDT
    Kayd said:
    Nikademis said:
    Kayd said:

I'm just recalling some of the debates that occurred over ESO, where the default UI was designed to lead you to focus on the world, but they originally allows custom UIs that would give you opponent health bars and other things not in the default UI. Being able to rearrange the display and controls to be optimal for you is obviously a good thing, whether it gives an edge or not. It's when a custom UI gives you whole new things like a mini-map that's not in the default UI I think it becomes unfair.

Agreed.  3rd party UI elements that add advantages not intended in the original design will undermine many of the core tenants which Pantheon is based upon.  I can't imagine that the devs will make a decision so fundamental as "No Maps" and then allow a 3rd party to design code that gives players access to maps.  

• 1468 posts
    April 17, 2017 8:35 AM PDT

Bumping an old thread so I don't have to create a new one on the same topic.

I think having an XML interface that can be customised would be good. That way you can change things like position / appearance / colour without actually adding any new features. This would allow custom interfaces without allowing things like DPS meters which I don't really want to see.

That would help people with certain needs such as visual problems (from reading the thread about visual problems this seems like something that would be good to help with) as well as players who like to customise their user interfaces to something that works well for them. This would be similar to the system that EverQuest had and I don't remember people having a problem with that system when it was released. In fact many people loved being able to customise their user interfaces.